Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭pumpkin4life

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Eh what about the j-pop band protagonists? :)

You can't get everything you want in life :P

Also, I don't mind myself some good j-pop it must be said:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭Jerichoholic

It's great all round, but those god damn
    Imperial dropships
    are ruining my fun.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

I'm about 30 hours in at this stage. It's not a great game, but it's pretty good. It was never going to be 'Witcher 3' good.

The combat is my favorite part, with warping, weapon changing and link attacks, you can get creative and it flows very well. Ignore magic.

The car is terrible, use it for fast travel only, explore on your chocobo.

The story is so thin, it's a lot more like Dragonage inquisition than past FF's. It's all about the open world and side quests, most of which are awful.

There is an infinite sprint trick hidden. On Xbox, When sprinting with B, tap X just as your stamina bar runs out, you flash green and your stamina bar refills instantly. Very handy.

Be sure to grab certain skills early on, such as the ones in exploration that award AP for travelling on chocobo or by car.

I hope the story gets better, I preferred the older FF games. However running around, exploring and fighting is a lot of fun. The game needs some polish, and you should be able to drive off road, but I've had zero bugs of any kind.

It seems like they really took the 'it's too linear' FF13 criticism to heart. I'd recommend it, but ultimately, I don't think this is the Game that's going to save or reinvigorate Final Fantasy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

One last very important question. What's the soundtrack like?

Say what you will about the three FFXIII games the sound tracks were absolutely incredible and dare I say it, the best in the entire series. I'm hoping they keep the bar set that high.
    Chase3 wrote: »
    It seems like they really took the 'it's too linear' FF13 criticism to heart. I'd recommend it, but ultimately, I don't think this is the Game that's going to save or reinvigorate Final Fantasy.

I think of any RPG series Final Fantasy has the best ability to make a comeback. The fact that each Final Fantasy is so radically different from the last means it's a series that can make radical changes and not really be betraying its roots (although some idiotic 'fans' call for a return to old school final fantasy roots when really there's no real roots to speak of). The name will always have some cache so it will always be ready for a come back.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

So from what im reading, everything except the story is good...Which is something that used to be key with these games... Is it really a bad story? Which FF would it be better than story wise? Just so we have a comparison.. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

nix wrote: »
    So from what im reading, everything except the story is good...Which is something that used to be key with these games... Is it really a bad story? Which FF would it be better than story wise? Just so we have a comparison.. ;)

Honestly, people give the FF stories too much credit. They've never been that good, just well paced at best to keep the game flowing well. I wouldn't put too much cache on it being bad. It looks more like say Xenoblade where the fun is the exploration and side quests. From what I've seen it looks more in line with FFX-2 where it's all a bit of silly fun anyway.

Honestly, people give the FF stories too much credit. They've never been that good, just well paced at best to keep the game flowing well. I wouldn't put too much cache on it being bad. It looks more like say Xenoblade where the fun is the exploration and side quests. From what I've seen it looks more in line with FFX-2 where it's all a bit of silly fun anyway.

Thats really what I've been doing so far 20 hours in and I've not progress chapter 3 yet. There are 14 chapters :o

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Approaching 7 hours and I've yet to leave Chapter 1. Only distant sightings of plot so far as a result but I'm having a great time. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

M!Ck^ wrote: »

Five million shipped, not sold; this is no indication of how well the game is selling, only how much the retailer expects to sell. Titanfall 2 was a victim of high shipping and low sales. Retailers ordered huge stock but ended up discounting it to try and get it off the shelves.

I don't know how well XV is going to do in Japan. The old guard of FF players, the ones who grew up with VI and VII, have aged out of the target market, and the current crop of kids are going to be much more interested in Dragon Quest, Monster Hunter and Yokai Watch. FF just isn't one of the big three JRPGs anymore. Additionally, Japan really liked XIII and Lightning compared to the much cooler reception it got in the West, console sales overall are dropping in Japan and Persona 5 and Pokémon Sun/Moon both came out relatively recently. I can't see XV selling as well as people are expecting it to, regardless of how good the game itself is. I do think XV will do well worldwide, given that it's an open-world adventure RPG and we Westerners love those :D

• Advertisement

Well i enjoyed the story alot in 7 and 10, 9 was great also but in my opinion fell on its face at the end. 8 was good up until the whole orphanage reveal. 12 and 13 i didnt like..

but it has always at the very least, tried to tell a good story. Which is something i always look forward to above all else in final fantasy games and has always tried to deliver. Up until X anyway..

I think 12's story would have been good until Matsuno left. I mean Matsuno wrote the story for Tactics Ogre which is probably the finest story written for a RPG or even any game and his writing in Vagrant Story and FF Tactics wasn't far off.

While the games you mentioned had enjoyable stories they're hardly exceptional but then I think a well paced story is a lot better than a better story that gets in the way of the actual game and bogs it down. Square really nailed that pace with FF4 and subsequent games kept that formula... until 13. I'm not sure what happened but by FF13-3 even the developer Tri-Ace was in full piss take mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

Well i enjoyed the story alot in 7 and 10, 9 was great also but in my opinion fell on its face at the end. 8 was good up until the whole orphanage reveal. 12 and 13 i didnt like..

but it has always at the very least, tried to tell a good story. Which is something i always look forward to above all else in final fantasy games and has always tried to deliver. Up until X anyway..

yup same as me, god i loved the world/characters/story in 7/9/10. 10 was the first ps2 game i played after gta and i was hooked from the start til the end, Maybe it was because i was only like 15 but i loved that game, (even the voice acting didnt put me off). x-2......that didnt happen :pac:

I bought 12 on release, loved the exploring side of it but just couldnt get into the story or world. figured that was just down to the game not working with me.

So bought 13 on release, started off liking it but it went to crap quickly. Ruined my faith in the series ever being good again. Didnt play the x-2's of 13.

And now im waiting to hear every non spoiler detail of this game and whether i can trust it or not haha. Characters (at least the main 4) are meant to be good, But i am hearing bad stuff about the story (which is one of my big draws for a good FF).

I'd say a lot of fans are in my shoes having been burnt by 13.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

I think if you are likely to be a "forgiving" Final Fantasy Fan, you'll enjoy this for what it is. As Retr0 said, the game does constantly reinvent itself so it has definitely changed from 13 and to be honest, it does seem far more upbeat than the usual emo style characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

Cooking can be very overpowered. I just whipped up something that gives me 600 HP and 120 attack. Noctis' normal max HP is 627 at the minute.

I love how the AI will jump and sprint and glide etc on their chocobo's it's like how real coop partners would behave :D

I bought the bloody thing anyway, €53 for the special edition was too good to pass up. Considering gamestop are selling the standard edition for €70.. Feckin cowboys!

Im not in a rush to get stuck in, ill watch kingsglaive and the anime to sink the hook in first :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,447 ✭✭✭Calhoun

RedXIV wrote: »
    I think if you are likely to be a "forgiving" Final Fantasy Fan, you'll enjoy this for what it is. As Retr0 said, the game does constantly reinvent itself so it has definitely changed from 13 and to be honest, it does seem far more upbeat than the usual emo style characters.

I personally think that FF had to reinvent itself, as technology and the definition of what this generation of players expect out of RPG changes it has to keep up at some level.

A big flaw for me for 13 was how much it felt like it was on rails, they all are on rails but the others felt so large back in the day when you played them.
    I bought the bloody thing anyway, €53 for the special edition was too good to pass up. Considering gamestop are selling the standard edition for €70.. Feckin cowboys!

Im not in a rush to get stuck in, ill watch kingsglaive and the anime to sink the hook in first :)

Reserved a copy in argos going to pick it up tomorrow :).

Some more tips:

You can easily run away from anything, even at night, you are safe. Just warp or run out of the red circle on the map, Same goes for drop ships.

You can fast travel in the car to some places. You can also fast travel from the map screen to wherever you last slept or to the location of your car. Handy!

Play until chapter 3 before you explore too much. I did a LOT of side quests in chapters 3 and 4. I'm massively over leveled for the story now which is annoying.

The ascension upgrades I like best: Less MP cost for warping. Faster stamina regeneration. Gain AP while riding on chocobo. Unlock extra accessory slots for characters. Libra to see what enemies are weak to.

Cooking is powerful, but not necessary. Save up some EXP and stay in a motel or hotel to get bonus 1.5 EXP. Or if you have plenty of GIL, stay in the spa at the ferry port for 10,000 GIL and 2.0 bonus EXP.

In combat: Attack from behind for bonus damage and link attacks. Use your friends special attacks as often as possible so they level them up. Carry different weapon types with Noctus, some enemies are weak to one type.

One last thing, just hold the defense button when it pops up to block, I kept trying to time it even though the tutorial explained it. I must have missed it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

Some more tips:

You can easily run away from anything, even at night, you are safe. Just warp or run out of the red circle on the map, Same goes for drop ships.

You can fast travel in the car to some places. You can also fast travel from the map screen to wherever you last slept or to the location of your car. Handy!

Play until chapter 3 before you explore too much. I did a LOT of side quests in chapters 3 and 4. I'm massively over leveled for the story now which is annoying.

The ascension upgrades I like best: Less MP cost for warping. Faster stamina regeneration. Gain AP while riding on chocobo. Unlock extra accessory slots for characters. Libra to see what enemies are weak to.

Cooking is powerful, but not necessary. Save up some EXP and stay in a motel or hotel to get bonus 1.5 EXP. Or if you have plenty of GIL, stay in the spa at the ferry port for 10,000 GIL and 2.0 bonus EXP.

In combat: Attack from behind for bonus damage and link attacks. Use your friends special attacks as often as possible so they level them up. Carry different weapon types with Noctus, some enemies are weak to one type.

One last thing, just hold the defense button when it pops up to block, I kept trying to time it even though the tutorial explained it. I must have missed it.

Also for unlimited sprinting, release circle(PS4) when the stamina bar get's to the "s" - you get a small speed boost and the stamina bar fully replenishes immediately.

• Advertisement

F1ngers wrote: »
    Also for unlimited sprinting, release circle(PS4) when the stamina bar get's to the "s" - you get a small speed boost and the stamina bar fully replenishes immediately.
    I don't think that's how it works?

You have to release the sprint button and tap the roll forward button to make it work. Just as the bar is almost empty. That's how it works for me. I just tested it and read the same on multiple sites.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

I don't think that's how it works?

You have to release the sprint button and tap the roll forward button to make it work. Just as the bar is almost empty. That's how it works for me. I just tested it and read the same on multiple sites.

All I do is release sprint at the s and press sprint again until it drops to s again, rinse and repeat - it's how I've been doing it the last few days.
    Maybe both ways work?

F1ngers wrote: »
    All I do is release sprint at the s and press sprint again until it drops to s again, rinse and repeat - it's how I've been doing it the last few days.
    Maybe both ways work?
    That way doesn't work for me, so weird. I'm on Xbox 1

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

I'm using control scheme B and I just need to hit L3 just before my stamina ends to instantly refill it.

The sprint thing works by interrupting the animation as he lifts his head to slow press the button again , it's quite a large window between when he lift his head and goes to the tired/out of breath state.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Thought it would be a good idea to attempt to fight a level 30 something opponent early in the game. Wiped out in seconds

On chapter 3. Really enjoying it despite some of the tedious bits

Some more tips:

Same boat, I'm on chapter 3 and haven't gone near the 3rd tomb yet to progress the story and just popped an achievement for doing 40 sidequests. I've been killing everything in my way comfortably even the giants etc at night. My survival skill is now at a point where I can sustain myself without going back to a shop even.

EDIT: Mildly annoying that you can't fast travel to any outpost you discovered from the map and have to strategically place your car and choose your resting place to make turning in completed quests etc less of a chore.

That way doesn't work for me, so weird. I'm on Xbox 1
    I was able to get this to work, so both ways work it seems.

• Unearthly wrote: »
    Thought it would be a good idea to attempt to fight a level 30 something opponent early in the game. Wiped out in seconds

On chapter 3. Really enjoying it despite some of the tedious bits

Care to elaborate m8?
    I'm starting my playthrough this evening.

• Advertisement

The more I try and get on with the main quest line the more i get distracted and go off and do other things, now I've found a
    piece of treasure map
    so I'm off to find that. Chapter 4 level 41 so yeah ridiculously overpowered now.

EDIT: watching Kingsglaive before this point in the story ? Is it a good thing or a bad thing you think to know who a certain character is at this point? I've watched it so I know and I'd think I'd maybe have preferred not to but we'll see when I finally progress this .

Advertisement