Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Final Fantasy XV

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

The cautious walk while in a dungeon is starting to get a bit annoying.

Evade wrote: »
    The cautious walk while in a dungeon is starting to get a bit annoying.

Agreed, and the 5 minute+ chauffeur driven car rides if you can't fast travel to a place.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Chase3

I'm on chapter 6, genuinely enjoying the game. I don't like the random spawning items, the fetch quests or the lack of main story content. But it's very fun to play and very smooth. No glitches or anything yet. I'd probably give it an 8.5 out of ten. My main criticism is the lack of complete freedom, there are certain places you can't go, and the car can only go on roads, imagine if it was like GTA 5, that would be amazing.

I'd recommend it to any fan of a game like dragonage inquestion or other western rpg's. Although I should mention, it's not as good as a game like the witcher 3, but then, nothing is.

Chase3 wrote: »
    I'm on chapter 6, genuinely enjoying the game. I don't like the random spawning items, the fetch quests or the lack of main story content. But it's very fun to play and very smooth. No glitches or anything yet. I'd probably give it an 8.5 out of ten. My main criticism is the lack of complete freedom, there are certain places you can't go, and the car can only go on roads, imagine if it was like GTA 5, that would be amazing.

I'd recommend it to any fan of a game like dragonage inquestion or other western rpg's. Although I should mention, it's not as good as a game like the witcher 3, but then, nothing is.

I have to spoiler this as I just found out and its an end game one
    you can get a flying car end game so you can go where ever you want which is annoying knowing that now given the time i've put in running here and ther e

I have to spoiler this as I just found out and its an end game one
    you can get a flying car end game so you can go where ever you want which is annoying knowing that now given the time i've put in running here and ther e

Haha yeah I saw that in a trailer from the uncovered event. I'm guessing it won't be as cool or free as it seems. But it sounds great.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,411 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Still no sign of this for me

You can fast travel by car to parking spots you have visited. Usually one near wherever you want to go. If you have to sit through a drive, listen to an old FF sound track, a great addition for old FF fans.

• The game looks fantastic on the One S with HDR

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭goon_magee

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    The game looks fantastic on the One S with HDR

Totally agree, playing on the Ps4 Pro and the HDR is an absolute game changer, definitely the best implementation of HDR I've seen yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭RedXIV

Anyone else make the mistake of going into the mines recommended for level 50 in the first area? :o

Had the crap kicked out of me in about a 10th of a second when I found the boss :D

As I was saying to someone else about this last night, the game is not perfect, there are certainly flaws, but it is certainly fun to play :)

• Advertisement

RedXIV wrote: »
    Anyone else make the mistake of going into the mines recommended for level 50 in the first area? :o

Had the crap kicked out of me in about a 10th of a second when I found the boss :D

As I was saying to someone else about this last night, the game is not perfect, there are certainly flaws, but it is certainly fun to play :)

Yup got sent there to pick up something for the car and was like oh look an elevator lets see whats down there, worst thing is the general enemies down there were cake then you meet lvl 54 boss man and he one shots you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,039 ✭✭✭Unearthly

Care to elaborate m8?
    I'm starting my playthrough this evening.

Just a few things like car travel. And then when I was on a side quest for a stone I kept getting interrupted by a dropship.

The car needing refueling is just inconvenient to. Sometimes adding real life stuff doesn't make good game mechanics

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

When are ye all doing the side quests? Chapter by chapter, all in one chapter, or post game? I'm planning on knocking out some of them in chapter 3 when you get chocobos and after the drop ships clear off and the really difficult ones in the post game

dropships are really only an issue if they have a mix of snipers and swordsmen, but once you get to their level and beyond they really are like flies to swat for xp. Can still be nuisance if they drop in while you are on a hunt with more dangerous creatures, often you'll be to busy to notice them until they are on you :mad:

Using tempest on them while bunched up is great.

I did pretty much everything on chapter 3 so got very overleveled, the game starts to push you more to the story in chapter 4 and 5 though I'm noticing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,787 ✭✭✭Evade

Question for anyone close to the end about driving. Is the start of chapter four the only time you have to manually drive besides night driving? My R2 is broken and only barely engages meaning I drive at at less than walking speed.

• Can anyone tell me why manual drive is greyed out? I can only auto drive

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭megaten

Can anyone tell me why manual drive is greyed out? I can only auto drive

Early chapters only have auto drive.

I was a bit annoyed at a forced stealth section but that proved to be a really fun part of the game especially the end bit :pac:

• The smile on my face when I realised I could play Cosmo canyon in the car

Just posting this so people know when side quests open up , at chapter 3/4 you'll have everything you are going to get available after that a new set won't open up until chapter 8.

If you want to level do as much as you can before doing chapter 4/5.

• Advertisement

• Just posting this so people know when side quests open up , at chapter 3/4 you'll have everything you are going to get available after that a new set won't open up until chapter 8.

If you want to level do as much as you can before doing chapter 4/5.

Thanks man. I'm on chapter 3 now and have a bucket load of quests. So addictive this game is. Loving it so far

Thanks man. I'm on chapter 3 now and have a bucket load of quests. So addictive this game is. Loving it so far

Yeah same, in no hurry what so ever to push the story just enjoying the questing, and thats mad because the sides largely fall into one of a few categories, fetch or kill or take a photo, and 40+ sides done and I'm still mad for more.

This isn't a game for those looking for vintage JRPG but is a game thats been given a shot in the arm to make it relevant to today without losing sight too much of where it came from. I only hope Bethesda have the will to do the same to their Elder Scrolls and Fallout games, they need changing up badly.

As some said this does have flaws but you can love the game in-spite of them and if it's something they can work on and refine down the line great.

EDIT: I'm only half way through and I know the story isn't going to end up being great by now but this is still one only a few AAA games that didn't disappoint this year.

Oh and don't bother your arse fishing until you can buy the good rod and reel later in the game , makes you feel like a chump for even trying with the starting ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The old guard of FF players, the ones who grew up with VI and VII, have aged out of the target market...
    GTFO!
    /Throws Fireaga

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'm about 20 hours in on Chapter 7 i think. Really enjoying it so far, and looking forward to getting stuck back in. Story is decent so far, and i like the main group of characters. I think watching the Brotherhood shorts made me like them more though, as you get some of the backstory. Absolutely not needed though.

Combat is good as well, as long as you don't just hold attack. The boss fight against
    Arenea Highwind (with that really effective armour :P), where you fight in mid air warping around the place was very cool.

I'm on chapter 6, Level 47 and I have 50 thousand EXP saved up, I'm actually considering camping so I don't get a bonus to the EXP. I over-side-quested...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭heebusjeebus

Chase3 wrote: »
    I'm on chapter 6, Level 47 and I have 50 thousand EXP saved up, I'm actually considering camping so I don't get a bonus to the EXP. I over-side-quested...

Do you battle through the night? Is there any issue with your group not eating?

I'm still on Chapter 3 but when i fight some enemies, my "max health" degrades considerably and is very very slow to recover. What causes it and is there an item i can use to get it back to the max (Potions dont work on it)?

Do you battle through the night? Is there any issue with your group not eating?

I'm still on Chapter 3 but when i fight some enemies, my "max health" degrades considerably and is very very slow to recover. What causes it and is there an item i can use to get it back to the max (Potions dont work on it)?
    Some artacks deplete your max health so that it can only be restored to a certain point until sleeping. So potions will only restore it to the max possible at that time, it's like a shadow bar on your hp bar. I believe elixirs restore the bar. Or just sleep.

I fight through the night often enough, though I prefer the day because it's easier to see things.

My health tends to drop relatively quickly in boss fights when I get hit. It's grand though, I have 99 potions and enough Phoenix downs. Just try not to get hit, counters and warp strikes work well. Taking your time strategically Is also an option.

I've eaten about 10 times, never really bother too much with it. I prefer to stay at motels or the hotel to gain exp bonuses.

Do lots of hunts to make plenty of Gil and exp if needed.

Also look into unlocking ignis's branch of skills on the accession grid. He has moves to cure everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭gryfothegreat

OldGoat wrote: »
    GTFO!
    /Throws Fireaga

Just telling it like it is! I wasn't insulting FF lol. All I was saying is that kids under the age of 12, the age group Final Fantasy used to target in the pre PS2 days, aren't playing it anymore. Why would they? They didn't grow up with it like we did. This could be a bad thing - kids overall buy and play more games and without that market share the franchise could suffer financially - but it could also be a good thing, because games made for adults allow for more mature storytelling and more complex gameplay. XV is demonstrating the beginnings of this. Like, odds are if XII was made after XV, i.e. targeted towards older gamers, we'd get Balthier as the protagonist instead of Vaan and Penelo, which, in my humble opinion, would be amazing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Sieghardt

Just telling it like it is! I wasn't insulting FF lol. All I was saying is that kids under the age of 12, the age group Final Fantasy used to target in the pre PS2 days, aren't playing it anymore. Why would they? They didn't grow up with it like we did. This could be a bad thing - kids overall buy and play more games and without that market share the franchise could suffer financially - but it could also be a good thing, because games made for adults allow for more mature storytelling and more complex gameplay. XV is demonstrating the beginnings of this. Like, odds are if XII was made after XV, i.e. targeted towards older gamers, we'd get Balthier as the protagonist instead of Vaan and Penelo, which, in my humble opinion, would be amazing :D

FF was NEVER aimed at kids under 12, hell they're all teen rated, kids under 12 arent even technically allowed to play, the average player age in general has always been increasing and lots of the old fans are still around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

Yep, I think it's been in a large part aimed at oulfellas like myself (ourselves?). Just look at the number of throwbacks to previous games that are buried within. For example I've just run into a pair of old friends:
    Wedge & Biggs guarding an enterenceway in Chapter 7

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

Advertisement