Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo to Dublin Train service could be scrapped?

Options
  • 28-11-2016 3:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭

Well, I hope this isn't true - but its been cited that Irish Rail have to make cutbacks and it sounds like the Dublin to Sligo/Sligo to Dublin Intercity route could be affected and even closed down as well as other routes across the country - It would seem un-imaginable to not have a rail service not running from Sligo to Dublin or vice-versa doesnt it, hope it doesnt come to that

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭5rtytry56

Well, Sligo train station as a passenger end point, although not the worst, could do with better signposting to shops - Going out of the station in Sligo, one can go across the Road to a pub/restaurant - there are a choice of 2 establishments, the one across the road offers decent fare because I had reason to use it when the Irish Weather acted up.
    Also I simply don't know, but is there a shuttle bus from the train station to Sligo Town centre? I've always walked myself. Great if the weather is grand but otherwise a pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 896 ✭✭✭shenanagans

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Also I simply don't know, but is there a shuttle bus from the train station to Sligo Town centre? I've always walked myself. Great if the weather is grand but otherwise a pain.

Are you serious? It's like a 200m walk into the town centre. A bus shuttle to the town centre from the train station.....seriously! You'd be quicker walking than waiting for a bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

Are you serious? It's like a 200m walk into the town centre. A bus shuttle to the town centre from the train station.....seriously! You'd be quicker walking than waiting for a bus.

if your talking about a shuttle bus (just a basic small single decker, nothing fancy) from station to quayside SC, then onto cleaveragh retail park then onto carraroe retail park and then back to the train station doing that backwards and forwards all day maybe i could see that a viability but A.) would it be used much and B.) if its not free it would have to be cheap to make it attractive - has it been tried out before? - if its tried and a failure then at least people can say its been tried out

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Vlove

Well, I hope this isn't true - but its been cited that Irish Rail have to make cutbacks and it sounds like the Dublin to Sligo/Sligo to Dublin Intercity route could be affected and even closed down as well as other routes across the country - It would seem un-imaginable to not have a rail service not running from Sligo to Dublin or vice-versa doesnt it, hope it doesnt come to that

I really really hope not, its fun going on the train, you sleep easier than being on a bus tbh!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

5rtytry56 wrote: »
    Well, Sligo train station as a passenger end point, although not the worst, could do with better signposting to shops - Going out of the station in Sligo, one can go across the Road to a pub/restaurant - there are a choice of 2 establishments, the one across the road offers decent fare because I had reason to use it when the Irish Weather acted up.

There's a town bus service on the hour, but yes, you'd be quicker walking into town from the station. You're not far from Tesco, Dunnes and a load of other Restaurants, Pubs and shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,794 ✭✭✭✭Andy From Sligo

L.Jenkins wrote: »
    There's a town bus service on the hour, but yes, you'd be quicker walking into town from the station. You're not far from Tesco, Dunnes and a load of other Restaurants, Pubs and shops.

That's good I suppose, but on the hour is not as appealing as having a shuttle bus , engine running, ready at the train station at the same time the train is pulling into the station so people can get straight off train and straight onto bus without hanging around waiting for a bus to turn up. Maybe there's an opening up for a private owned bus company to do that if they think it is viable and worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭ryanch09

There are many other lines that are worse performing than the Sligo-Dublin line, I don't think they'll close it, first up for the chop will be the Limerick-Ballybrophy line I'd say along with the WRC

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

What about the town bus service? Does that connect with arriving/departing trains?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

I don't see this happening.

Certain morning and evening trips do be wedged. I could see them cutting down on the amount of services alright, but not scrapping the service entirely

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Really hope they don't pull this. I don't use it very often because unless I'm going to Dublin drinking it's generally cheaper to take the car because the tickets are mad expensive but it is handy to have the option when needed, and it's great for Sligo students to have the option for getting to Dublin and Maynooth.

• Advertisement
Advertisement