Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two eyesores, what to do

Options
  • 28-11-2016 3:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

couple of eyesores in my new garden,

no.1 i have an end of terrace so have a drain, what can i do to make this less ugly and obtrusive? ill mark out where it is should anyone ever need to go down there, but id like to make it disappear ideally

IMG_0700_zps4rw3klup.jpg

IMG_0699_zps9grcdv4v.jpg

no 2. i have one of these air to water heat pumps (not this exact one, dimplex version) in the garden, anyone come up with a creative way of lessening the visual impact? i understand i need to leave a certain amount of space around it for air flow

Chiltrix%20outdoor%20unit%202.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭toddunctious

For no.1
    You could use plant pot,garden statue,bird bath or water feature perhaps
    Don't know about no.2 though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,858 ✭✭✭dball

a patch of fake grass, often used in golf clubs to hide access points - same material as a driving range matt

cheap option too

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

For no.1
    You could use plant pot,garden statue,bird bath or water feature perhaps
    Don't know about no.2 though

i dont really want to put something up as its the centre of the garden

dball wrote: »
    a patch of fake grass, often used in golf clubs to hide access points - same material as a driving range matt

cheap option too

again id worry about mowing over it

are these things for this purpose no?

http://recessedmanholecovers.co.uk/recessed-covers/bespoke-grasstop-covers.html

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭mackeire

How about some green paint and paint the square the same colour as the grass.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

Cyrus wrote: »
    again id worry about mowing over it

are these things for this purpose no?

http://recessedmanholecovers.co.uk/recessed-covers/bespoke-grasstop-covers.html

Yes they are for recessed manholes

I think the green paint is a great idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

Ive done the fake grass on jobs before and it works well. No issue with mowing. Manhole cover will cost appox 120 euro, it will be atleast 3 or 4 inches on top of concrete so check levels in relation to level of grass. Ive done this , fill with soil a bit of seed and job done. But yiu really need to know where it is and if house is sold , new owners need to know too. Its easy to forget.:confused:

rje66 wrote: »
    Ive done the fake grass on jobs before and it works well. No issue with mowing. Manhole cover will cost appox 120 euro, it will be atleast 3 or 4 inches on top of concrete so check levels in relation to level of grass. Ive done this , fill with soil a bit of seed and job done. But yiu really need to know where it is and if house is sold , new owners need to know too. Its easy to forget.:confused:

thanks a lot

what manhole cover would you recommend?

also where best to get some astro turf to cover and what do you do, just get a square of that size and lay it over?

• Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

no 2. i have one of these air to water heat pumps (not this exact one, dimplex version) in the garden, anyone come up with a creative way of lessening the visual impact? i understand i need to leave a certain amount of space around it for airflow

One of my friends has one of those mains water filter jobs on his decking outside his kitchen window. He had a box made out of decking boards to cover it in and stained it to match the decking. It looks like a regular storage box. Quite smart looking actually.
    Here a couple of pics from the web to show you what I'm talking about.

10x65g2.jpg
    2lxz52f.jpg

no 2. i have one of these air to water heat pumps (not this exact one, dimplex version) in the garden, anyone come up with a creative way of lessening the visual impact? i understand i need to leave a certain amount of space around it for airflow

One of my friends has one of those mains water filter jobs on his decking outside his kitchen window. He had a box made out of decking boards to cover it in and stained it to match the decking. It looks like a regular storage box. Quite smart looking actually.
    Here a couple of pics from the web to show you what I'm talking about.

10x65g2.jpg
    2lxz52f.jpg[/QUOTE]

that looks perfect

how would you go about making something like that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 995 ✭✭✭Mitch Buchannon

that looks perfect
    how would you go about making something like that

He made it himself. It didn't have to have the airflow lats that you would need though.
    I think you could make one handy enough. There has to be plans online somewhere. I'll have a google and see.
    Failing that, a local carpenter could make something very easily.

He made it himself. It didn't have to have the airflow lats that you would need though.
    I think you could make one handy enough. There has to be plans online somewhere. I'll have a google and see.
    Failing that, a local carpenter could make something very easily.

thanks a lot

top one looks like it has a decent airflow as well, could work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭rje66

thanks a lot

what manhole cover would you recommend?60 x 60 cm 8 cm deep

also where best to get some astro turf to cover and what do you do, just get a square of that size and lay it over? Pretty much, glue down with tec 7 , off cuts are ideal, but try BnQ if youcant find any. Ive some in my shed but im in swords.

Advertisement