Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HKC "No RKP Comms"

Options
  • 28-11-2016 4:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hi Guys,

Looking for some advice regarding my HKC secure watch alarm system. I've no experience with alarms, but I have enough electronic knowledge to be a danger to myself....

I was replacing some spotlights around my house on Saturday afternoon and to save time getting up and down a ladder, I turned off all power at the breaker board for the duration of the work (about 90 minutes). I mention this because I believe my alarm problem may be power / battery related.

On Sunday morning the internal alarm went off. Both RKPs displayed "No RKP Comms" and I couldn't input any commands to the alarm system. After checking the manual, I thought that the wire had been cut between one of the RKPs and the main alarm panel. We've had issues with mice in the past!

I removed the panel board, took the RKPs apart, then did continuity tests from the main panel to each RKP. Both links were fine.

At this point, I decided that something was probably wrong on the main panel and I would call out someone who has a clue what they're doing the following day.

Fast forward a couple of hours and when walking past the RKP I noticed the display seemed to be indicating zone tamper faults and not the RKP error from earlier. I put all housings back in place which cleared the faults and I was able to turn on / off the alarm as usual.

My question is WTF happened?? :-) Has anyone any ideas? The alarm seems to be fine now, but am I just waiting for this to inevitably happen again after the next power cut? Should I still get someone out to have a look at the system, or is there an obvious faulty part that I can replace myself?

Thanks for reading, I appreciate any responses.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭John Kelly of

I doubt it has anything to do with a simple power cut as that would be a normal occurance.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

A strange one. Its possible the system got a bad power up when the power was returned to the panel. It may have somehow recovered over time.
    I would try powering down again & see if it happens. Also , a clean power cycle may do it the world of good.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Ju_Ju

Thanks all. There hasn't been any faults since, so fingers crossed. I'll be powering it down over the weekend again, so it will be interesting to see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,748 ✭✭✭degsie

When was the panel battery last changed?

Since we moved into the house 4 years ago, nothing has been changed. As far as I know, nothing has been changed since the house was built approx 9 years ago.

The system has been working fine all week.

• Advertisement

So I had the power switched off from the board last weekend and haven't had any issues with the alarm since. Thanks to all for your comments.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Hopefully that's all it needed.

Advertisement