Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Range in the South

Options
  • 28-11-2016 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭

Heard from a friend that there was a new range already signed off by DOJ and had a open day there on Sunday down the South around the west Waterford area, supposed to be open for business this Thursday - going by name of Glen Sports Club - i've seen nothing advertising, nothing on social media - anyone heard anything of it? Maybe its been discussed here already and i've missed it.....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭gunny123

I hope its true, the more ranges the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭IrishTarget

I agree the more the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭Tommyaya4

Mate of mine was at the induction day on Sunday it's on the back road from Newcastle to mount mellery saw a few photos looks good but will be working on it for next few months

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭deeksofdoom

Great news, is it members only or what's the story?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭kelslat

Scrappy600 wrote: »
    Heard from a friend that there was a new range already signed off by DOJ and had a open day there on Sunday down the South around the west Waterford area, supposed to be open for business this Thursday - going by name of Glen Sports Club - i've seen nothing advertising, nothing on social media - anyone heard anything of it? Maybe its been discussed here already and i've missed it.....

Can centrefire rifles be used there or is it just clay pigeons and maybe .22lr?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Scrappy600

kelslat wrote: »
    Can centrefire rifles be used there or is it just clay pigeons and maybe .22lr?

Not sure. I had been told that there was up to 100m range and that centrefire pistols were to be used there. Reason I came in here was I'd heard absolutely nothing in the shooting community about it and wanted to see was my info correct. They've seemingly not advertised on the net, have no website, no Facebook nothing. Seems very odd to me.

Not sure. I had been told that there was up to 100m range and that centrefire pistols were to be used there. Reason I came in here was I'd heard absolutely nothing in the shooting community about it and wanted to see was my info correct. They've seemingly not advertised on the net, have no website, no Facebook nothing. Seems very odd to me.

I heard it was opening up alright off a gun dealer but he didn't know anything much about it.

Mattie McGrath is the one to ask. It is in his home area.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

They've seemingly not advertised on the net, have no website, no Facebook nothing. Seems very odd to me.

Probably keeping as low a profile as possible until everything is 100% nailed down and the range is actually up and running.
    Remember the hullabaloo over the proposed reopening of the Devil's Bit range?

Open now lads went down Sunday for induction day will have 100m range and open to pistol shooters that's what a lad that was at it said hoping to check it out this weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭walsh.peter

Any update on this place guys, any facebook or website set up yet ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Ian2me

Can any give a location on this . Or contact details,
    Cant find any information about it . Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Limerick Sovereigns

The Glen Sports Club is up and running and has DOJ approval and a Garda Pulse number. There is a 25m range with a covered firing point and a 100m range (will be covered shortly) in operation. A 50m range and a second 25m are under construction but will not be completed in the medium term.

The operators have decided not to publicise the range or club using Facebook, website etc. but instead to rely on referrals and word-of-mouth.

I am not involved except as a member, but I have been told that its ok to post a contact number here if the mods don't mind. Call Kieran at 086-1719918 with any queries.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

AFAIK membership for this range is by invitation only.
    And Kieran is a gent of the highest order.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭fitzy700

ill second that about Kieran a real gent , ive been there a couple of times top lad's

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭mickjohnlong

Any info on its location?

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Limerick Sovereigns

Any info on its location?

As Tommyaya4 said in post #4 its a few miles outside the village of Newcastle in Co. Tipperary, not far from the Waterford border.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

What a great way to spend the day. I went to The Glen shooting range in Tipperary and met up with good friend Kieran & Tom.
    The range is a credit to the lads and I can see all the hard work they have put into this. I'm already looking forward to going back & also competing in any competitions that are being planned for the coming months.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 314 ✭✭Walter Mittys Brother

kelslat wrote: »
    Mattie McGrath is the one to ask. It is in his home area.

It seems he's doing his best to have it closed!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

It seems he's doing his best to have it closed!

Has he said anything publically about it ?

I could possibly meet him tomorrow and would be interested to hear his views

• Advertisement

Be interesting to hear what he says. I'm sure that the shooting community of South Tipp would like to know who's on their side considering what his previous party colleagues have done to shooting sports.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Vizzy

I checked the planning application on the Council site.
    It is still being considered and there are about 6 submissions from Mattie, a local sheep farmer, one or 2 local residents and a Consultant who has prepared a fairly substantial report on behalf of the others who have made submissions.
    Most of the concerns relate to safety, lead poisoning of the water from the spent rounds and also possible damage to overhead power lines from clay pigeon shooting(I presume).
    If I meet him I will certainly ask him what his views are in relation to shooting.

Interestingly, there is also a representation from his sidekick Cllr, but that doesn't appear on the website but I presume that it is anti the range, rather than supporting it.

Can I get a link for that?

Not totally au fait with this computer stuff :(

The bould Mattie is trying his best to have it shut he has the lads plagued with stupid complaints

All shooters in South Tipp should remember this come next election

It’s common knowledge locally what’s going on and all shooting people should be encouraged to sign a petition to help keep this asset to the shooting community open Mr Mcgrath thinks he’s judge and jury in the locality

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Jimmybarry95

I have visited this range when they were only open. From the start they appeared to be very safe and adhering to regulations. As stated in one of the planning reports put into the council it says that the lead will be polluting the river. This is false in my opinion as the lead is been shot into sand covered to stop rain run off and is collected throughout the year and sent to be safely discarded to cork. It also stated that the wildlife is scared this is also false in my opinion as I have noticed rabbits roaming around the car park and birds flying overhead and nesting in the trees overlooking the range. I have been enquiring through friends as to how the range is going as I am interested in joining.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭swift220

Do the lads on this range have any intentions to make a 300m plus range here in the future or is it just going to be another pistol/rimfire range

swift220 wrote: »
    Do the lads on this range have any intentions to make a 300m plus range here in the future or is it just going to be another pistol/rimfire range

Was talking to lads they intended putting in a 300m range they have room for it I think they have to cut down some timber which they need permission to do

• Advertisement

I have visited this range when they were only open. From the start they appeared to be very safe and adhering to regulations. As stated in one of the planning reports put into the council it says that the lead will be polluting the river. This is false in my opinion as the lead is been shot into sand covered to stop rain run off and is collected throughout the year and sent to be safely discarded to cork. It also stated that the wildlife is scared this is also false in my opinion as I have noticed rabbits roaming around the car park and birds flying overhead and nesting in the trees overlooking the range. I have been enquiring through friends as to how the range is going as I am interested in joining.

Going well think lads said 60 joined plus local lads pay to use it for sighting deer rifles big push for local shooting lads to back them against complaints by a certain individual but when he realises the votes he could loose these complaints will probably stop

Advertisement