Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Brozy

Looks fairly incredible.

Massive nitpicking here and I know this is a video game.....but it shows her crafting and using explosive arrows, then seconds later ND says something along the lines of the gameplay systems are meant to immerse you in the world.

I always hated explosive arrows in games and her crafting them on the fly would have the opposite affect of immersion. Unless they introduce a system whereby a certain percentage of crafted items likes nail bombs or explosive arrows are duds and they don't work at all or not to the full effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I've avoided the leaks so not sure what all the outrage is about, but I just know that the game looks amazing here and I can't wait for it to be out.

The environments look amazing and the combat is fairly brutal, and looks like it has a real weight to it. Curious what the new types of infected are that they're not showing. Most of the combat and gameplay I've seen has involved other humans, so I wonder what they have up their sleeve as far as the infected goes. I have a feeling some of those stalkers are going to frighten the shyte out of me in some dark basement.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,965 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Those clickers give me the chills.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Those dog yelps at 18:45 in that video are pure nightmare fuel

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

I can't believe they ripped off the Resident Evil 6 puss/gas monster!! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Looks great , roll on the 19th. Only watched half the video will try the other half in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Install size of the game will be 78.3GB
    the-last-of-us-part-2-download-size.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

That’s pretty big, but only about half a daily CoD Warzone update.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

'We fixed the weapon balancing'

'Put the entire game on the server, and hide a 8K HDR copy of Isthar in the files as an easter egg'.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,410 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

So watched the presentation and... not blown away I have to say. Standard run and gun stealth section we have seen in other games. Nothing new there. Hopefully like the original game the game will mix things up with more interesting scenarios but won't know that until reviews. However the complete flop of uncharted 4's gameplay (not played lost legacy) isn't filling me with confidence.

As for the visuals it looks pretty good but the stand out is the animation which is pretty much leagues above everyone else as usual for naughty dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

To be honest, even in TLOU, the combat was nothing new really. For me it was all about the story which is why I am studiously avoiding looking at anything. Not even the presentations. So far I have avoided everything pretty much since last year's E3 presentations.

But yeah, the actual combat never really stuck out for me but the presentation, story, acting etc.. Man...

"In (Naughty) Dog We Trust"

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

The combat in TLOU if anything was bad but actually felt right. Joel's not a super solider. I'm also not pushed on the nothing new argument. If it's not broke don't fix it. It's thinking like this that brought us shyte like guinness light.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

The thing about the combat in TLOU was that it made you feel like you were in a post-apocalyptic world imo - supplies are very scarce (depending on the difficulty I suppose), so every bullet, scissors, tape etc. was important and you had to decide where you'd use your resources. In a heavily guarded area, you had to plan your route properly as you wouldn't be able to just blast everyone away with a machine gun like in Uncharted. But when inevitably the shít hits the fan, you have to run for cover - Use bricks, bottles, sticks or whatever you can get your hands on to distract enemies or melee attack them.

The combat definitely isn't as refined as in other games, but I kinda like that about this game, it's certainly different but it feels like there's a bit more weight to it. I wouldn't like it in every game, but I suppose when playing TLOU it kinda made sense. Even in that gameplay clip, it seemed like nearly every long range shot was a headshot, it definitely wouldn't be that clean when I'm playing through it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

As I’ve said before, the issues I have with Naughty Dog’s gameplay is what makes me prefer their shorter form games. The Lost Legacy’s storytelling obviously isn’t as sharp as 4 (although the production values, animation etc... remain top notch) but the more focused design that distilled the essence of the series into a shorter game was really great (especially since they built on the semi-openness of a few U4 levels). Ditto Left Behind: just the excellent storytelling with far fewer lengthy combat sequences. I don’t mind some combat, but I think inevitably the longer the game the more filler there is, and that becomes more apparent the more violent tribulations you put your characters through. As the body count builds, the less I buy into the characters. I’ve said before I hate the sniper section in TLOU - just a silly moment of boring shooting in a game that doesn’t need it.

I’ve joked before that I now look forward to the DLC more than the mainline Naughty Dog games... but I genuinely kinda do :pac: Which isn’t to say I don’t thoroughly appreciate the exceptional craft that goes into the main games - after all these years, Naughty Dog are probably the only ones who tell these sort of big blockbuster stories with the gravitas that’s needed*. But yeah, I don’t expect to be blown away by the combat or stealth - more will be booting it for that particular blend of lavish genre storytelling ND do well.

*(goes without saying that many studios don’t do this because of the outrageous bloody expense involved... but studios have aimed for it and fallen short many times)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Yeah their combat was never great. All the Uncharted games felt pretty 'jank' to me overall, especially the shooting.

Totally agree that the shorter, tighter game style suits them better. Hides a lot of the flaws.

I'd no problems with the combat. It's just looking at the presentation and it doesn't look like an evolution from the first game. Now Last of Us did have some varied scenarios that I'm hoping for. Just have a bit of apprehension because the last naughty dog I played was Uncharted 4 which I felt was a boring unnecessary trudge. Combat was dull and uninteresting with no variety in the actual set pieces and the story was kind of pants, although that was more a fact that the Nathan Drake story had been well played out and how badly retconned the brother scenario felt.

Will be interesting what the reviews say. Could go either way.

I'd very much agree on the trudgery of UC4. It was a chore to complete out but I was glad I did as the ending was rather cool

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Thankfully Last of Us doesn't have cliff scaling - those sections in U4 absolutely sucked and destroyed momentum.

From one Uncharted game to the next they didn't really add much gameplay-wise. They just polished and refined the same formula. Uncharted 4 had the biggest changes (from one title to the next) because of the wide spaces and vehicle sections. But there was a lot of repetitive climbing.

This looks along those lines. They've taken the core gameplay of TLOU and added some of the "wide space" stuff they did in Uncharted 4. A boat section instead of a Jeep. I didn't expect a gameplay revolution personally.

For me this will succeed or fail (I don't mean commercially..) based on the quality of the story, characters, cut-scenes and voice acting. I've seen the leaks and what i've seen is not on the level of TLOU. But we'll see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭bot43

Click and collect has a €5 discount in Smyths so €54.99. Not too shabby if you want a physical copy.

I think it's in a difficult space. Expectations are unreasonable high (certainly in my case), the knives are already being sharpened for whatever reason all the furore is over (I'm still unsure), it's an exclusive which never helps and people love being negative.

I'm still going to love it but see point one above.

bot43 wrote: »
    Click and collect has a €5 discount in Smyths so €54.99. Not too shabby if you want a physical copy.

Excellent. Cancelled my existing pre-order and went with this offer instead. Not like I'm going to be playing it before I get home from work on the day and at least I won't have to worry about potential delays due to the post - there's been major delays in everything I've ordered recently due to Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

gimli2112 wrote: »
    .......If it's not broke don't fix it. It's thinking like this that brought us shyte like guinness light.

Whoa whoa WHOA now..... There were FAR more evil shenanigans going on that brought us Guinness Light.... (I personally believe David Eike and think the lizard people came up with that. DAMNING evidence :) )

Regarding the game: Yeah, as others have said, expectation is SO high that I actually feel sorry for them. Nothins can live up to that hype and any minor perceived flaw will be blown out of all proportion by those who get their kicks out of doing that. I'm surprised there hasn't already been a hour and a half long youtube video outlining "Everything wrong with TLOU2".

I mean my thought were:

1) What? TLOU2? Why? it finished! Don't want it.
    2) Oh that E3 presentation looked so pretty. Guess we know it's going to be a revenge game. OK. I'm on board
    3) Leaks? lalalalala-I'mnotlistening-lalalalala
    4) Just release it please so I can go back online without fear of spoiling
    5) Oh dear.... EVERYONE is on about it. My brother was asking me about it and the last console he played was probably the 2600 :). Dial it back a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

After watching the presentation yesterday it was about as much as I was expecting. The sequel does not seem to be an evoultion but an continuation with absoutely gorgeous visuals and animations. The way Naughty Dog continues to push old hardware is incredible .

I am not exactly hyped as everyone else seems to be as it looks like your standard 3rd person shooter.

Outside of the Cutscenes I did not like The last of us at all. Assassin Creed 1 got alot of stick for only having 3 different mission types and Last of Us to me was no different.
    Grabbing a crate , ladder , Cutscene

It was clear to me which aspect of the game was more important to ND when developing LOU1. Then there was the broken A.I , how tedious it was to aiming your gun was , the few mission sections which I found was so poorly designed.

Even to this day I never heard anyone about talk about how enjoyable they liked the gameplay as any praise it gets always seems to be just about the story .

With the Sequel I hope there is more variety in missions and level design , and the gameplay does not take a backseat because all of the focus is on narrative point of the game .

I'm surprised there hasn't already been a hour and a half long youtube video outlining "Everything wrong with TLOU2".

I'm quite sure there's been several of them already because of the leaks but they've been taken down over copyright infringement issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Even to this day I never heard anyone about talk about how enjoyable they liked the gameplay as any praise it gets always seems to be just about the story

Yes the story is where it gets all the praise but lots of people have enjoyed the gameplay. The game is not suppossed to play like your usual action game as the game wants you using stealth and thinking carfelly about your resources

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

Even to this day I never heard anyone about talk about how enjoyable they liked the gameplay as any praise it gets always seems to be just about the story

Yes the story is where it gets all the praise but lots of people have enjoyed the gameplay. The game is not suppossed to play like your usual action game as the game wants you using stealth and thinking carfelly about your resources

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I'm so excited for this game. I have just restarted TLOU Remastered today. Who knows if I'll have it beat (bad attention span) but I'll make a hard go.

Advertisement