Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40 IrishJedi75

I love the first game but I’m surprised that ANYBODY is excited for the sequel considering the controversy over the leaks,and Naughty Dogs behavior over the last month or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

I love the first game but I’m surprised that ANYBODY is excited for the sequel considering the controversy over the leaks,and Naughty Dogs behavior over the last month or so.

I haven't seen the leaks so am mostly in the dark regarding that, all I can go on is the trailers and gameplay which has been officially released, and I'm excited to play it.

Maybe there's alot of merit to people being so outraged about it, I really don't know, but I'll make my own mind up on the game when I actually play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,834 ✭✭✭Greyfox

The controversity is been caused by people with the intelligence of a 12 year old, remember these people haven't played the game. People are excited as what we have heard from Naughty dog and gameplay footage looks very promising.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Greyfox wrote: »
    The controversity is been caused by people with the intelligence of a 12 year old, remember these people haven't played the game. People are excited as what we have heard from Naughty dog and gameplay footage looks very promising.

I'm kinda looking forward to the reviews in a few weeks and the "outraged" angry reactions to them, good or bad there will be anger.

Greyfox wrote: »

Naughty Dog issued copyright strikes against a ton of youtubers who were reporting on not only the leaks but Naughty Dogs poor treatment of its employees.A lot of these youtube channels did not even show any copyrighted footage or pictures.Really low behavior but its backfired on them as a lot of these copyright strikes have been removed.

They have also disabled comments on the trailer videos.They are trying to cover up this whole controversy.Seriously,look up what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

They've disabled comments to stop limp-dick fúckers spoiling the game on people.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Naughty Dog issued copyright strikes against a ton of youtubers who were reporting on not only the leaks but Naughty Dogs poor treatment of its employees.A lot of these youtube channels did not even show any copyrighted footage or pictures.Really low behavior but its backfired on them as a lot of these copyright strikes have been removed.

They have also disabled comments on the trailer videos.They are trying to cover up this whole controversy.Seriously,look up what happened.

The YTers were using the leaks to drag in viewers. Whether they actually showed footage is not really the point.

And the irony of these people complaining about some US based people having to work hard for the last 6 months to get perfection, whilst they talk on their iPhones in their China made clothes and Nike sweatshop runners seems lost on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Barlett

Don't mistake internet outrage for real world outrage, the reality is, if the game reviews well, it'll sell several millions. The vast majority of people don't care about nonsense copyright infringement stories, sometimes the internet makes it feel everyone is talking about something, when they're not, the only thing that matters in the end is the review score when people see a trailer and look it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

I would be more annoyed about getting a spoiler for a film rather than a game .

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Naughty Dog deserve to always be called out for their crunch practices - employees have by all accounts been expected to work completely unreasonable hours, and no matter how good the games that should always be a mark against the studio unless there’s a genuine and consistent turn for the better. Naughty Dog and Sony are big, powerful corporations at the end of the day, and hardly beyond criticism.

But also important to remember that many outrage-mongerers on YouTube will use things like that as a farcical justification to complain endlessly about a game primarily because it has a lesbian in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

shrewdness wrote: »
    I haven't seen the leaks so am mostly in the dark regarding that, all I can go on is the trailers and gameplay which has been officially released, and I'm excited to play it.

Maybe there's alot of merit to people being so outraged about it, I really don't know, but I'll make my own mind up on the game when I actually play it.

I buy video games to play them for my own enjoyment. What happens behind the scenes has nothing to do with me. I don't play games to play a political role for real life problems, nor to become a political statistic for said problems. I play them because I enjoy playing them. My reason for playing video games has never changed, and what goes on inside the offices where they make the games does nothing for me.

EDIT: this was meant to be a response to the guy you quoted, shrewdness lol didn't meant to quote you

Naughty Dog deserve to always be called out for their crunch practices - employees have by all accounts been expected to work completely unreasonable hours, and no matter how good the games that should always be a mark against the studio unless there’s a genuine and consistent turn for the better. Naughty Dog and Sony are big, powerful corporations at the end of the day, and hardly beyond criticism.

But also important to remember that many outrage-mongerers on YouTube will use things like that as a farcical justification to complain endlessly about a game primarily because it has a lesbian in it.

What practices are we talking about exactly?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,456 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Leroy42 wrote: »
    What practices are we talking about exactly?

https://kotaku.com/as-naughty-dog-crunches-on-the-last-of-us-ii-developer-1842289962
    Many who have worked at Naughty Dog over the years describe it as a duality—as a place that can be simultaneously the best and the worst workplace in the world. Working at Naughty Dog means designing beloved, critically acclaimed games alongside artists and engineers who are considered some of the greatest in their fields. But for many of those same people, it also means working 12-hour days (or longer) and even weekends when the studio is in crunch mode, sacrificing their health, relationships, and personal lives at the altar of the game.

Doesn't sound too bad, particularly when a project is reaching its end.

I mean doctors, nurses, police, plenty on the private sector have to work like that when the deadline looms.

It's not like they work like that all the time and they are well aware it's coming.

Is that really what the outrage is about? Some well paid, relatively, people having to work a bit longer for a bonus whilst being able to say they worked on a world class game?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

That’s hardly unreasonable. Happens across all private sectors when deadlines approach. Employees rarely see the benefits other than extension of their employment. Company profit means guaranteed employment in most cases.

Doesn't sound too bad, particularly when a project is reaching its end.

‘The end’ can mean months or even years, especially when games get repeatedly delayed. When a video game gets delayed for a few months? That’s more crunch for developers. At its worst, as pointed out in the article above, studios start bleeding talent due to burnout.
    I mean doctors, nurses, police, plenty on the private sector have to work like that when the deadline looms.

And it’s absolutely unacceptable to make people work overlong hours in all those professions as well. People’s health and well-being are more important than saving money by making someone work overtime rather than hire someone else.

We’re talking about video games, and one where big corporations will enjoy the lion’s share of any profits. A short period of crunch is perhaps a necessary evil in limited circumstances, but a culture of it - across many months - is a ****ty workplace.
    Is that really what the outrage is about?

Nope, the outrage is mainly around a bunch of reactionaries being furious as usual. The crunch stuff got mixed in when it was seemingly falsely put out there that the leaker was a disgruntled dev. I bring it up mainly to suggest Naughty Dog often deserve criticism, but it gets wrapped up with all sort of bull****.
    Some well paid, relatively, people having to work a bit longer for a bonus whilst being able to say they worked on a world class game?

Prolonged crunch is a crappy practice that is persistent across many studios that make great games (such as CD Projekt Red). ‘But the games are good’ is no excuse - treating workers well is far more important than whatever video game emerges at the end of it.

‘The end’ can mean months or even years, especially when games get repeatedly delayed. When a video game gets delayed for a few months? That’s more crunch for developers. At its worst, as pointed out in the article above, studios start bleeding talent due to burnout.

And it’s absolutely unacceptable to make people work overlong hours in all those professions as well. People’s health and well-being are more important than saving money by making someone work overtime rather than hire someone else.

We’re talking about video games, and one where big corporations will enjoy the lion’s share of any profits. A short period of crunch is perhaps a necessary evil in limited circumstances, but a culture of it - across many months - is a ****ty workplace.

Nope, the outrage is mainly around a bunch of reactionaries being furious as usual. The crunch stuff got mixed in when it was seemingly falsely put out there that the leaker was a disgruntled dev. I bring it up mainly to suggest Naughty Dog often deserve criticism, but it gets wrapped up with all sort of bull****.

Prolonged crunch is a crappy practice that is persistent across many studios that make great games (such as CD Projekt Red). ‘But the games are good’ is no excuse - treating workers well is far more important than whatever video game emerges at the end of it.

I agree, in the theory, but I suspect people really don't care but simply use it as an excuse rather than admit what they are really upset about.

iPhones, Nikes, hell pretty much anything these days

iPhones, Nikes, hell pretty much anything these days

Yep, it’s the reason why being an ethical consumer is incredibly difficult because so much of our economic system is built on the exploitation of workers (and in many case the planet’s resources), but that’s a rabbit hole far beyond this thread about a game in which you shiv mushroom monsters and throw molotovs at angry dogs :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Yep, it’s the reason why being an ethical consumer is incredibly difficult because so much of our economic system is built on the exploitation of workers (and in many case the planet’s resources), but that’s a rabbit hole far beyond this thread about a game in which you shiv mushroom monsters and throw molotovs at angry dogs :p

Naughty dogs you mean.

I'll get my coat.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,106 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

And the ones complaining will be the ones playing it day 1. Like that picture of the boycott CoD group on steam who are all playing CoD

• Advertisement

Naughty Dog issued COPYRIGHT STRIKES on youtubers who did nothing wrong and showed no copyrighted material.Most of these have been restored now though after it became apparent that Naughty Dog had no leg to stand on legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

For all those poor youtubers.

tenor.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Yeah screw the little guy.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,412 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And the ones complaining will be the ones playing it day 1. Like that picture of the boycott CoD group on steam who are all playing CoD

They'll also be the ones wondering why naughty dog didn't send them a copy and will post a video ranting about it, angry joe will probably make an angry video about it lol.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    I would be more annoyed about getting a spoiler for a film rather than a game .

You’d be more annoyed about by a spoiler for a movie that might take 2 hours of your time compared to something that might take 30-40? Right...

Not getting involved in or baiting any further TLOU 2 bashing here - but personally I’ve seen the spoilers, I don’t agree in the slightest with the direction they took and I’ve decided I’m not wasting my money or my time on it as a result. No offence to those of you waiting for it and I hope you enjoy it some extent but it’s not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Thecageyone

Everytime I see this game mentioned there's hints at some kind of controversy? Am i missing something obvious? Never looked into it any further as the original game never took my fancy, but the 2nd seems more hyped up and does look interesting. Though, from what i gather it is a mostly stealth oriented game? which doesn't interest me so much

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

Everytime I see this game mentioned there's hints at some kind of controversy? Am i missing something obvious? Never looked into it any further as the original game never took my fancy, but the 2nd seems more hyped up and does look interesting. Though, from what i gather it is a mostly stealth oriented game? which doesn't interest me so much

Don’t look in to it if you want to enjoy the game, don’t even search for it cos you will encounter spoilers.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Blaze420 wrote: »
    You’d be more annoyed about by a spoiler for a movie that might take 2 hours of your time compared to something that might take 30-40? Right...

Not getting involved in or baiting any further TLOU 2 bashing here - but personally I’ve seen the spoilers, I don’t agree in the slightest with the direction they took and I’ve decided I’m not wasting my money or my time on it as a result. No offence to those of you waiting for it and I hope you enjoy it some extent but it’s not for me.

You misunderstood me. If I found out a spoiler fir a game I would still enjoy playing a game. A film not so much

• Registered Users Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭OptimusTractor

Yeah screw the little guy.

C'mon man the youtubers reporting on the leaks are anything but little.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,313 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    You misunderstood me. If I found out a spoiler fir a game I would still enjoy playing a game. A film not so much

It would depend on the severity of the spoiler, wouldn't it?

Advertisement