Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

combat gets pretty old quickly. I'm running around letting Dina kill them for me. not mad about the open areas either, feel like I'm playing Red Dead Ellie

sweetie wrote: »
    combat gets pretty old quickly. I'm running around letting Dina kill them for me. not mad about the open areas either, feel like I'm playing Red Dead Ellie

I've felt like I've given it plenty of time now to be able to say that it started brightly, peaked and then turned into a generic sub par stealth game.

Tomb raider with a better plot but less engaging gameplay.

It's a shame as it had the makings of a better game.

If I had my tinfoil hat on, I could say that the makers stoked the whole controversy as they knew their game lacked the substance it needed

It's no way a bad game, just not a worthy successor to The Last of Us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

The people review bombing it to give it a negative score are not the majority of people. There a bunch of sad acts who aren't even going to play the game.

Sure, keep telling yourself that. Let me guess....Russian bots? Incels? woman haters? I am sure you will choose one of the usual go to choices when it is just clear a lot of people dont like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Absolutely loving this game so far. It feels so much more tense and unsettling than the first one. Every single door I open, I hold my breath.

The game seems to also have no shortage of "F*CK!" moments either. Can't count how many times I've jumped out of my skin. To me, this is "jumpscaring" done right. No stupid sound effects, just the general sight of a runner emerging from a room to charge at you is enough to warrant a fresh pair of undies lol.

Wearing my Elite 800 headphones is a damn treat, audiowise, as well.

This afternoon I had so much anxiety searching a building that I had to stop what I was doing, go upstairs, grab the fan, bring it down to the sitting room and plug it in because my hands and face were starting to sweat.

I hate the feeling but if a horror game can make me feel that way, it's done its job in my books. I'm about 9-10 hours in (though I'm probably not as far as others as I've spent a lot of time looking up and down every single space in every single spot for supplies and/or collectibles.

Gameplay-wise it's just more Last of Us, but the tone is so much darker and it's freaking me out - I love it!

Absolutely loving this game so far. It feels so much more tense and unsettling than the first one. Every single door I open, I hold my breath.

The game seems to also have no shortage of "F*CK!" moments either. Can't count how many times I've jumped out of my skin. To me, this is "jumpscaring" done right. No stupid sound effects, just the general sight of a runner emerging from a room to charge at you is enough to warrant a fresh pair of undies lol.

Wearing my Elite 800 headphones is a damn treat, audiowise, as well.

This afternoon I had so much anxiety searching a building that I had to stop what I was doing, go upstairs, grab the fan, bring it down to the sitting room and plug it in because my hands and face were starting to sweat.

I hate the feeling but if a horror game can make me feel that way, it's done its job in my books. I'm about 9-10 hours in (though I'm probably not as far as others as I've spent a lot of time looking up and down every single space in every single spot for supplies and/or collectibles.

Gameplay-wise it's just more Last of Us, but the tone is so much darker and it's freaking me out - I love it!

Each to their own man, but I really think that you need to have a little step back if "every single door you open, you hold your breath".

People slating the game for no reason is ****, but hyperbole like this is the other ****ty end of the stick.

It's good. Much better than I expected.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Sure, keep telling yourself that. Let me guess....Russian bots? Incels? woman haters? I am sure you will choose one of the usual go to choices when it is just clear a lot of people dont like it.

Yes, I will keep telling myself that because it's patently true. The people review bombing it are people that quite obviously haven't played the game

• Registered Users Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭Rob2D

Anyone else find the audio is a bit off? Sometimes I can barely make out a word anyone is saying and then the very next scene will blow my ears out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Rob2D wrote: »
    Anyone else find the audio is a bit off? Sometimes I can barely make out a word anyone is saying and then the very next scene will blow my ears out.

you may have it set to a high dynamic audio range. which you can change in the settings menu

you may have it set to a high dynamic audio range. which you can change in the settings menu

Would the center channel being set to voice be able to alleviate any of that? I asked what it was really used for in regards to the original a few weeks ago and nobody answered me (on Reddit)

Each to their own man, but I really think that you need to have a little step back if "every single door you open, you hold your breath".

People slating the game for no reason is ****, but hyperbole like this is the other ****ty end of the stick.

It's good. Much better than I expected.

Eh? lol I dunno where you're getting at

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The shotgun is brutal - blows body parts right off, and you just find arms or legs scattered around the place after. Actually taken aback a little when I use it!

As much as I don’t care for the action and combat, there’s a bit in a subway tunnel, illuminated by an eerie red light, that’s very effective indeed. You barely even need to do anything - a well placed Molotov and all hell erupts, seen only through distant shadows and shaking flashlights (plus some bloodcurdling screams).

The shotgun is brutal - blows body parts right off, and you just find arms or legs scattered around the place after. Actually taken aback a little when I use it!

As much as I don’t care for the action and combat, there’s a bit in a subway tunnel, illuminated by an eerie red light, that’s very effective indeed. You barely even need to do anything - a well placed Molotov and all hell erupts, seen only through distant shadows and shaking flashlights (plus some bloodcurdling screams).

I just used a bottle.

That was a great set piece

I watched an enemy run into a claymore trap, not a limb was found, only mush.

• Zero-Cool wrote: »
    How are ye finding hard? I'm playing on normal but planning a survivor run and then easy run for collectibles and trophies. Not sure if I'd get more out of my first playthrough on hard though.

I'm on hard and it's a decent challenge but resources are not scarce once you explore.

Survivor sounds like the optimal experience for both tension and thrills.

I'm bemused again by some of the comments related to the combat.

I think folks who continue to view it and approach combat in a one dimensional manner won't enjoy it.

It's incredibly versatile and visceral.

You need to be more opened minded about the approach as in reality there are tonnes of different ways to approach a battle.

Like leading a bunch of infected into a claymore with a bottle. Or placing a trap mine in the path of a roaming group of human enemies. Or even forcing them to fight each other.

Being stingy with your resources (crafted items and ammo) means you won't enjoy it.

People afraid to use primary weapons. Use up your ammo. Use up your crafted items.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,842 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

People afraid to use primary weapons. Use up your ammo. Use up your crafted items.

I assume it's like the first game where the more resources you use, the more you find?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

That's the point the combat starts stepping up. They start mixing the enemy types so attacks come from all over. Expect more bits with that level of tension. Especially when the stalkers come into it. But generally as you play the level of aggression goes up so it becomes much better.

Around the 15 hour mark there is a change that I wasn't initially happy with but it is much better than the previous 15. There are a few real Ellen Ripley level set pieces around the 20 hour mark.

Some if the detail in the violence is unsettling. Blowing off legs with trip mines. Watching them crawl away with guts spilling out for a, few seconds before they die.

If they are the last person alive and you shoot their leg they fall down and start begging for their life.

Still the worst was when the claw hammer got stuck in someone's face.

• Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I assume it's like the first game where the more resources you use, the more you find?

It seems restructured slightly as the first game was much more linear.

As in the game doesn't auto drop based on ammo usage as much as the first. But encourages exploration more. This is where the majority of ammo and crafting items are now found more often than not.

If you want to plow through the game you have the choice of ignoring this aspect of the game.

It feels like the game has expanded on the exploration more so than the first game I'm finding.

There is an example early on of this. For arguments sake it's quite possible to miss out on certain weapons in the game completely. These sections are brilliant.

This is my experience after about 10 hours of play on hard mode.

Don't horde stuff. Find it, use it and move on. You lose everything on more than one occasion. So if you held a load of shotgun shells or trip mines you just lose them.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I'm really not enjoying the second 1/2
    where you play as Abby. I don't want to play it. Think they made a massive misstep here. I don't care about her or her fcuking friends

It's actually putting me off a survivor run.
    My plan is where you play as her at the start to let the zombies eat her, turn it off and everyone lives happily ever after

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I'm really not enjoying the second 1/2
    where you play as Abby. I don't want to play it. Think they made a massive misstep here. I don't care about her or her fcuking friends

It's actually putting me off a survivor run.
    My plan is where you play as her at the start to let the zombies eat her, turn it off and everyone lives happily ever after.

Second half is miles better than the first.
    It's slow to start and I was the same way. I just hated her, but that changes. Now I'm like Ellie who? Abby is a bad ass

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

no chance :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

only 2 hours in, I started on hard and am finding it a bit easier that the first game, has anybody started on the hardest level? is it much harder than hard ? I want a challenge but do not want to get so far into the game that it is too hard for me....

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    only 2 hours in, I started on hard and am finding it a bit easier that the first game, has anybody started on the hardest level? is it much harder than hard ? I want a challenge but do not want to get so far into the game that it is too hard for me....

You can change the difficulty at any time, just have to restart an encounter if you're in the middle of one.

Can anyone tell me when you unlock the guitar mini game please? Put answer in spoilers in case other people don't want to know. I feel like I'm gonna spend way too much time trying to play 'toss a coin to your Witcher'.

https://twitter.com/Neil_Druckmann/status/1274629678066622464?s=19

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

There’s a place you can play guitar in the first big Seattle section if you explore a bit. There’s another bit that occurs naturally in the story a few hours later.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Before I pull the trigger and buy it, is the game causing the PS4 pro to sound like a Hoover in the room all the time.

Damien360 wrote: »
    Before I pull the trigger and buy it, is the game causing the PS4 pro to sound like a Hoover in the room all the time.

Yes but i have the model before they 'fixed' the fans so newer models night be okay. I have to play with headphones to hear what anyone is saying over the fan noise. Turning the volume louder isn't an option at night.

I wouldn't let it stop you playing this though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Damien360

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Yes but i have the model before they 'fixed' the fans so newer models night be okay. I have to play with headphones to hear what anyone is saying over the fan noise. Turning the volume louder isn't an option at night.

I wouldn't let it stop you playing this though.

I have the 7216B model which appears to be later model according to google but it sets off like a Hoover for Fifa cut scenes. PS4 too hot message for last mission on SP of Battlefront II. I have headphones but worried it will just annoy me if it keeps overheating.

I have a question about
    DOGS
    in this game.

Do I HAVE to
    kill them?
    I'm in an encounter where they're
    sniffing me out with one
    , and I haven't found a way to avoid
    killing the dog
    . If I don't
    kill the dog, he just harrasses me throughout the encounter,
    and I'm trying to be as stealthy as possible.

(P.S. Please don't respond to my question by complaining about the stealth mechanics. I like them, so don't make it about that, I'm getting that a lot on Reddit)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I have the Fortnite bundle PS Pro which I think was the older model and I haven't really noticed anything major in terms of the fans tbh.

Advertisement