Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭Robert ninja

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    It's called networking and I've done it myself in academia and in industry
    GJP was used to select and support narratives of those involved in stories they shouldn't have been writing about to protect their friends and shill their products that would otherwise have gotten zero mainstream attention or protection. It was used to blacklist and gatekeep. It's one of the biggest exposures of game journalism corruption to date and the "networking" excuse is a joke. Of course this doesn't mean there's some grand conspiracy between every critic, that's not how it works. In fact they don't even really hide their bias and protections anymore. They realised post-gamergate they can get away with damn near anything as long as they can edit-war the wiki page and generally be the judge of their own trial.
    Also as for them being more liberal, that's down to them being mostly highly educated in literature and social sciences.
    ... unbelievable :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Unfortunately I didn't see a way not too.
    I think it's grim but that's the game you are playing.
    I added some tags as this may be considered gameplay spoilers. I was not aware they were part of the game until I experienced it for myself.

I didn't include any tags because they were established before the game released.
    (I've set the tags in now, in case there are those who were on media blackout)

But I couldn't find a way to avoid them unless I went for a perfect run through an encounter. I was able to do it without engaging them but it took a number of reloads. Doesn't seem practical.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

GJP was used to select and support narratives of those involved in stories they shouldn't have been writing about to protect their friends and shill their products that would otherwise have gotten zero mainstream attention or protection. It was used to blacklist and gatekeep. It's one of the biggest exposures of game journalism corruption to date and the "networking" excuse is a joke. Of course this doesn't mean there's some grand conspiracy between every critic, that's not how it works. In fact they don't even really hide their bias and protections anymore. They realised post-gamergate they can get away with damn near anything as long as they can edit-war the wiki page and generally be the judge of their own trial.

... unbelievable :D

So you think that all the reviews were made out to be better than it was , remembering that they didn't say it was decent or pretty good many of them said it was amazing , because of an unwritten bias and agenda to help ND make money, to help the LGBTQ agenda and to curry favour with their peers?

This is from an industry that is historically male focused, led mostly by men?

To what end are all these people willing to forego their professional standing? They knew that at best their reviews would be legitimate for a week, until players got to play it and everyone saw it was a disaster of a game.

But I'm interested in why you think the game is actually terrible. Graphics wise? Playability? Story? Technically? The combat? Glitches? Maybe it's the loot boxes? Or the ability to buy upgrades?

Or is it the price? Or its limited to PS4.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,419 ✭✭✭FAILSAFE 00

I am addicted to opening the safes without using the codes. That satisfying click when you get the correct number in place.

*click

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Jaysus the
    Hillcrest
    bit goes on a while. Example of what really annoys me about a lot of Naughty Dog’s combat design. The body count builds up so quickly that it just numbs me to any actual tough moral or ethical decisions the characters will have to make in the course of the narrative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭bennyl10

Because like a lot of people,i absolutely LOVED the first game and to see everything that was built up completely destroyed because the developer wanted to get woke and listen to a feminazi like Anita Sarkeeshian is just...ugh.

At least i saved my self 70 euros or so.

The fact that your using ‘woke’ and ‘feminazi’ says enough about your review

You were never going to like this game due to some weird bigoted objection to the plot

The story flows very well imo, genuinely loved the first game and love this game so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭CrazyFish

I am really enjoying it. The first one was one of my favourites and really digging this too. Visually it’s incredible. Feels like next gen graphics for me. (Ignoring it’s only 30 FPS). It’s one of the few games were I finish playing it and I can’t stop thinking about it. Reckon I am just over half way through it and the combat can get tiresome after awhile but the story and characters keep me hooked. The hatred for this game baffles me and how people say it’s a terrible game is beyond me. Fair enough the gameplay in places can be a bit repetitive and it’s not reinventing the wheel. But duke nuke forever is a **** game but no way you can compare it with the likes of that because the story does not see your ideal vision of what it should be.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

Just had that intense car scene with Jessie, holy ****. Reminded me of God Of War the way the gameplay was interacting with a cinematic. So ****ing good

I don’t know what people’s issue is with this game so far. I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

I don’t know what people’s issue is with this game so far. I’m thoroughly enjoying it.

Like a lot of backseat showrunners and directors, I'm gonna bet it's the ending that will be the part that pisses people off. (No idea how it ends I'm just blindly speculating)

I've just gotten past the same part as you and there has been nothing short of class content thus far.

Just like Game of Thrones, Season 8 ended in a way that a lot of people hated, and as such just said the whole show sucked. So I reckon that it'll be something towards the end of the game that will be the part that causes some divisive opinions.

Personally I don't get like that with any form of media. I love them for what they are (as I've iterated plenty of times).

This game has been stellar so far. Loving the stealth segments as well. Very intense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Some funny bugs in the game, such as when Ellie wipes her face while holstering at the same time... the arm goes all over the place, or when you're using a rope/cable that you have to jump up to use... and then it magically gets longer past your feet... :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I am loving some of the little touches that caught my eye over the first couple of hours. A man helping his little toddler to walk along a wooden walkway as Ellie and Dina walk through Jackson at the beginning, a rabbit scurrying from the undergrowth when you are riding on the horses and there's one point where Ellie goes on to an abandoned street (can't remember where) and there's a plastic bag being whipped around by the wind. I just and looked at it for awhile because it reminded me of American Beauty. These little touches really help to make the game more immersive.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

It’s the biggest game launch of the year so far in the UK anyway, passing out AC New Horizons, and also Sony’s biggest PS4 launch.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-22-the-last-of-us-2-is-sonys-biggest-playstation-4-launch-ever

As much as corporate sales figures are of minimal significance and say absolutely nothing about the actual quality, I do find it funny the ‘controversy’ predictably had no effect on the game’s inevitable commercial success.

I am addicted to opening the safes without using the codes. That satisfying click when you get the correct number in place.

*click

Actually did this last night and you're right. It's very satisfying.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

I missed the first safe. Do I need to go back to the start of the chapter to redo it (I've gone passed the point where I can go back within the level).

Would that update my stash in the current game?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

It’s the biggest game launch of the year so far in the UK anyway, passing out AC New Horizons, and also Sony’s biggest PS4 launch.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-22-the-last-of-us-2-is-sonys-biggest-playstation-4-launch-ever

As much as corporate sales figures are of minimal significance and say absolutely nothing about the actual quality, I do find it funny the ‘controversy’ predictably had no effect on the game’s inevitable commercial success.

I felt a great disturbance in the bigot hive mind, as if millions of incel voices suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced. I fear something amazing has happened.

It never does. In fact, it more often than not boosts it. I was actually going to get this game a few months after release but all the outrage over the leaks made it an instant day 1 buy so I could see wtf is going on. :D

Same, I was going to wait for it to maybe come down in price around Christmas but so of the bilge spouted on here by certain posters kind of spurred me into making it a day one purchase and I'm glad they did. I'm enjoying reading the forum seeing where everyone's at and checking out their niggles and valid criticism of the game as I'm playing through it as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

*click

Oh man, that is class!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Leroy42 wrote: »
    I missed the first safe. Do I need to go back to the start of the chapter to redo it (I've gone passed the point where I can go back within the level).

Would that update my stash in the current game?

It depends on which safe you missed. Usually safes just have supplements and weapon parts so if you missed one it doesn't make a huge difference. There is chapter select where you can go back but I doubt it would update stash in current game save

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭ReverseGiraffe

Has anyone's Shopto pre-order arrived yet? Was hoping for today but no luck

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

interesting video here released back in April.
    basically load of programmers quit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I couldn't stop playing this all weekend and I finished it last night.
    Overall I thought it was brilliant. A few parts wrecked my head, specifically the
    Hillcrest
    bit which was mentioned earlier and a couple of similar encounters. I thought the last 10 hours or so of the game were exceptional and my initial feeling is that I prefer it to the first game in terms of the overall package. Looking forward to discussing the plot in detail when more of you have finished it!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Garbage video. 7 year development time means you get a large number of staff turn over in an industry that has a large staff turn over. And couple that with bad working conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

That video is absolute bs from another youtube shill

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

I'm not long into it but am enjoying it so far.

The Last of Us Part 1 was a great game but I think it's been put on a pedestal. Super story in game with 8/10 gameplay.

The sequel seems to be on par with the first one so far. Some pacing issues and some repetition, but overall, am enjoying it.

I'm about 9 hours into it and I'm really struggling to see where the issues are in terms of political bias and how it's meant to be alienating. I made it about 4 minutes into that video before I gave up, I couldn't take anymore. Though I love the fact that he said the game was going to crash and burn...

I'm about 9 hours into it and I'm really struggling to see where the issues are in terms of political bias and how it's meant to be alienating.

You need a lot more confirmation bias otherwise you'll miss it all.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,491 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Example of what really annoys me about a lot of Naughty Dog’s combat design. The body count builds up so quickly that it just numbs me to any actual tough moral or ethical decisions the characters will have to make in the course of the narrative.

Aye I'd agree with this part about becoming numb to it over time.

Finished it last night, had an epic weekend of non stop play basically and the game was excellent imo.

The story isn't as strong as the original though. I don't get that level of a bond between the characters this time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Can we stop giving those videos clicks please, it's exactly what they want.

I finished Seattle downtown, cleared everything and absolutely loved it. The mix of serenity and tension is incredible.

You need a lot more confirmation bias otherwise you'll miss it all.

It's probably the wife's fault for not making me feel repressed enough. Bloody women can't do anything right...

• Advertisement
Advertisement