Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

The supermarket :eek: Runners and the horror that are those clickers. Stealthily killed a few runners before lobbing a molotov where the clickers were so I could burn them to death. Only problem was the molotov set them and some of the runners ablaze but didn't kill them. Get on the wrong side of the runners and before you can blink, they and the clickers are on top of you. I need to work on my stealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

this is hard to say but I wish they hadn't made it,
    it's kind of ruined the story for me. don't like how it ended for Joel, don't like Abby or playing 1/2 the game as her,
    struggling to go back and finish it
    it's making me miserable
    first one and the dlc were a joy to play

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Can someone that has finished it tell me how far in I am? I'm just under 14 hours in and just started
    Seattle Day 3
    . Really have to get this finished by Friday evening for various reasons, yet at the same time I don't want it to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

gimli2112 wrote: »
    this is hard to say but I wish they hadn't made it,
    it's kind of ruined the story for me. don't like how it ended for Joel, don't like Abby or playing 1/2 the game as her,
    struggling to go back and finish it
    it's making me miserable
    first one and the dlc were a joy to play

How far have you played in the game? I don't think the atmosphere is particularly different to the first one. There are moments in the twelve or so hours I've played that call to mind Left Behind in terms of their mood and pace.

There was one section I found so far that was slightly aggravating in terms of going on slightly too long and I was impatient to keep the story going but overall, I'm really enjoying the flow of the game and exploring the buildings as I go through the different areas to get whatever I can find that helps to add flavour to the world or experience some wtf moments I wouldn't have got if I just kept plowing straight through the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

How far have you played in the game?
    Currently fighting the rat king and enjoying it bashing Abbey's head in or ripping it off. I was heavily invested in the Joel and Ellie characters and it didn't end well for one and I fear the ending for the other. It's seriously bumming me out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Tubbs4

Markitron wrote: »
    Can someone that has finished it tell me how far in I am? I'm just under 14 hours in and just started
    Seattle Day 3
    . Really have to get this finished by Friday evening for various reasons, yet at the same time I don't want it to end.

You are just around about half way through at the moment. About
    10 to 13
    hours left I say if you keep at this pace.

Tubbs4 wrote: »
    You are just around about half way through at the moment. About
    10 to 13
    hours left I say if you keep at this pace.

Brilliant thanks. That entire
    day 2
    section was the most intense section of any game I have ever played. It would let up every now and then before ramping right back up. Played it for 6 hours after work yesterday, I never do that!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Enjoying the second half of the game more than I thought I would. Think I'm near the end now as I unlocked the trophies for finding all the skill books, safes and crafting benches.
    The bit with Abby and the Seraphite child is really well done and makes her much more likable, haven't finished it yet though so maybe she sees a golf club and decides to practice her swing again :pac:

Her fear of heights and the vertigo effects are also great. I thought they were just story-scripted but I stopped to look over a random edge and she started to have a panic attack.

Second half is also much more brutal. You think it can't get any worse and then you're biting ears off one minute and getting lynched the next.

The second half did bring back one of my major issues with the first game:
    Ellie can stealth kill clickers with her knife but instead of carrying a knife Joel relies on flimsy shivs that break after one use. Abby does the same which makes even less sense since she's part of a well stocked militia.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Brilliant thanks. That entire
    day 2
    section was the most intense section of any game I have ever played. It would let up every now and then before ramping right back up. Played it for 6 hours after work yesterday, I never do that!

Just reached the same spot as yourself last night too. Hectic game so far. The stalkers are by far the worst. Wrecked me on the way to the
    hospital
    and depleted half my supplies making health packs. Dogs can get f*cked too.

Enjoying the hell out of the game so far anyway. You definitely have more tools to take down enemies but they've still managed to keep the tension levels up. The level design is stunning and presentation of the story is top notch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Gyan84 wrote: »
    Enjoying the second half of the game more than I thought I would. Think I'm near the end now as I unlocked the trophies for finding all the skill books, safes and crafting benches.
    The bit with Abby and the Seraphite child is really well done and makes her much more likable, haven't finished it yet though so maybe she sees a golf club and decides to practice her swing again :pac:

Her fear of heights and the vertigo effects are also great. I thought they were just story-scripted but I stopped to look over a random edge and she started to have a panic attack.

Second half is also much more brutal. You think it can't get any worse and then you're biting ears off one minute and getting lynched the next.

The second half did bring back one of my major issues with the first game:
    Ellie can stealth kill clickers with her knife but instead of carrying a knife Joel relies on flimsy shivs that break after one use. Abby does the same which makes even less sense since she's part of a well stocked militia.

Same here
    I like Abby way more than Ellie. The bit where you enter the container and all the bodies are there that Ellie had been killing was great, a nod to that Naughty dog body count issue people have raised.

The Hospital bit, where she has to get the stuff to save the scar kid. Coming out of that I was thinking Abby is a bad ass.

• Advertisement

Penn wrote: »
    Just reached the same spot as yourself last night too. Hectic game so far. The stalkers are by far the worst. Wrecked me on the way to the
    hospital
    and depleted half my supplies making health packs. Dogs can get f*cked too.

Enjoying the hell out of the game so far anyway. You definitely have more tools to take down enemies but they've still managed to keep the tension levels up. The level design is stunning and presentation of the story is top notch.

I remember feeling so relieved when
    I finally got away from the stalkers only to end up being hunted by the scars, my nerves were shredded. I just managed to take them all out with my bow when one of them came charging at me from the sides. I was lying on the ground and missed him with 2 arrows, just managed to get my shotgun out of the bag in time to blow his legs off and hear him screaming the place down

What a game this is.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

I remember feeling so relieved when
    I finally got away from the stalkers only to end up being hunted by the scars, my nerves were shredded. I just managed to take them all out with my bow when one of them came charging at me from the sides. I was lying on the ground and missed him with 2 arrows, just managed to get my shotgun out of the bag in time to blow his legs off and hear him screaming the place down

What a game this is.
    Yeah as unnerving as a clickers clicks are.... those whistles.... they really bump my geese...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Episode 3 of the podcast is up, focusing on Left Behind.

https://twitter.com/Naughty_Dog/status/1275428432751374337?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 15,366 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

So I'm about 4 hours in.

Am i meant to be outraged yet?

Holy **** i didn't know you could do jumping kills.

https://twitter.com/Much118x/status/1275475107373371392?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭FrostyJack

Vicxas wrote: »
    So I'm about 4 hours in.

Depends on if you are a balanced individual. If not you should have been rage quiting hours ago and ranting on twitter about it.

I am just coming up on 8 hours now, still loving it, went to play for an hour today, ended up playing 2 :) I can see tomorrow night being a marathon session.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Vicxas wrote: »
    So I'm about 4 hours in.

Only if you've never been kissed.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The deeper in I get, there's one thing that immediately stands out amid the perfect scores on one side and the faux outrage on the other: that so much of this game is a standard, familiar Naughty Dog game. In play, this is so often precisely what the cover promises: more The Last of Us, for better and worse. Obviously rough edges have been smoothed down, the technology improved, the overall level of polish and craft pretty outstanding. Equally, it has the same old Naughty Dog problems: too much combat and a bloated running time chief among them (two things that are of course interconnected).

ND is a studio that continues to build and excel in terms of graphical fidelity, quiet moments and fluid storytelling that puts most other AAA studios to shame. But they're bound by an action-heavy formula they just can't seem to let go of, which at its worst damages the story being told. As successful as the attempts to make her a more rounded, human character are, it can also be hard to think of Ellie as anything other than invulnerable when she offs two dozen people and a few dogs on her own. That said, some action sequences - in particular the ones where it plays some of its factions against each other, or where it introduces some creepy new foes - do work well on their own terms. They play more like well deployed setpieces, that integrate elegantly with moments of tension or heightened emotions in the story. The lengthy, generic sequences where you have to take down 15-20 grunts are the ones that drag.

I'm not going to weigh in much on the game's ultimate failures / successes in the storytelling department until I'm finished, although 10 hours or so even the weakest moments (and there haven't been many) have been mere 'shrug of the shoulder' stuff than anything grievously misguided. The one thing at this stage - and again I'll see how the scale swings later on - I would absolutely say is that claims that the game is endlessly bleak are overblown. There are many, many moments of warmth and humanity to counteract the naturally bleak world it portrays. Certainly the original game was far from sunshine and roses (and I absolutely read the final scene of that game as an ending that was far from happy) so this seems like a logical progression without foregoing earned moments of happiness and sadness.

Compared to something aggressively and relentlessly abrasive like Pathological 2, this is an often optimistic affair. Honestly, no matter how bleak the game ultimately gets, it'd be hard to forget the warmth and affection seen in many character interactions up until this point.

no matter how bleak the game ultimately gets, it'd be hard to forget the warmth and affection seen in many character interactions up until this point.

I just did the bit after reaching the theater.
    the birthday camping trip. What a bang of left behind off that, was absolutely brilliant! When i left it, i had just crossed to the other museum which is looking a bit sinister so interesting to see how the flashback finishes

I'm definitely not getting the 'it's bleak and gory for the sake of it' narrative but I'm still only about 1/3 of the way through I'd say so will see how it goes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

This game continues to be much longer than I anticipated but I'm sure I'm close to the finish now.

Late game
    Finished Abby's version of events and saw the ending of the theater fight along with Ellie at home with the baby and Abby getting captured in Santa Barbra.

Only bits in the past few hours I didn't really like where the fight against the big infected in the hospital and that I had to control Abby when fighting Ellie.

I think Abby is alright now which is a turnaround from when I hated her. Her "I left you alive and you wasted it" line gets on my nerves though. Her father was killed so she gets revenge, then can't believe others come to exact revenge on her. I get that she's probably meant to be a bit naive but the moral indignation is a bit odd.

I thought the game was going to finish when Tommy came to see Ellie. When he mentioned that Maria left him I thought Ellie would refuse and that would show that revenge only results in more loss on both sides.

Maybe Ellie will kill Abby and then there'll be a part 3 where Lev will kill Ellie with a golf club and it'll all start again :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Oh dear, just found out there's an accessibility feature that pings collectibles. I'm leaving it off otherwise I'll never finish the game. Second playthrough will have to do it. Plus it's immersion breaking.
    There's also a setting for slow motion during combat as in bullet time

• Registered Users Posts: 17,942 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Random enemy playing Hotline Miami on the PS Vita:

httu86tszn651.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 11,960 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Joel. What a horrible way to leave the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Thargor wrote: »
    Random enemy playing Hotline Miami on the PS Vita:

httu86tszn651.jpg

There's an apartment somewhere with a bunch of Warhammer figures too! On a tabletop and in a display cabinet. Thought that was pretty cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

J Mysterio wrote: »
    There's an apartment somewhere with a bunch of Warhammer figures too! On a tabletop and in a display cabinet. Thought that was pretty cool.

There was a
    dusty fat PS3 with I think Uncharted 2 and Jak and Daxter next to it too.

Spoilers are a minor easter egg from the first 3 hours of the game.

Gonna spoiler all of this, I am only just past the halfway point but just incase, do not click on this unless you have finished it or are at least late into the game.
    So I saw people being cagey online about the second half of the game, there was one bloke I know that just straight up quit and then read the ending of the game when he realised you would be playing as Abby, so I figure this is what has people so up in arms. Personally I think its an amazing way to shake up the narrative and I honestly can't wait to see things from Abby's perspective. It is so difficult to be around the pregnant girl and getting to know her knowing what Ellie is going to do. Game continues to subvert my expectations at every turn.

Thanks for the spoilers descriptions lads, nice to know if I should click it or move on, no accidents :)

Advertisement