Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

I have to admit, I was wrong.

I genuinely had no interest because of the spoilers I happened across but was lucky enough that my nephew got a copy he wouldn't be using for a week

The story is immense and thoroughly engaging. The visuals are stunning. The gameplay is typical the last of us and sometimes can be repetitive and tedious but for the most part, it works well.

The story is the real MVP though and can have you feeling whatever it wants you to feel, despite your preconceived notions.

It's a real shame it was spoiled for so many as I think that if you went into this blind, you'd have enjoyed it ten times more.

Coming up to the end now and I wish I wasn't. That's the sign of a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭Mr.Fantastic

Got this digitally in the end, and sold my smyths copy to my housemate.

only 1hr 30m in , love it. Its so engrossing can't wait to dive into some more tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Tried playing My Lovely Horse on guitar, jesus it's hard. I wish you could freeplay it anytime so I could log on specifically to play it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

I have to admit, I was wrong.

I genuinely had no interest because of the spoilers I happened across but was lucky enough that my nephew got a copy he wouldn't be using for a week

The story is immense and thoroughly engaging. The visuals are stunning. The gameplay is typical the last of us and sometimes can be repetitive and tedious but for the most part, it works well.

The story is the real MVP though and can have you feeling whatever it wants you to feel, despite your preconceived notions.

It's a real shame it was spoiled for so many as I think that if you went into this blind, you'd have enjoyed it ten times more.

Coming up to the end now and I wish I wasn't. That's the sign of a good game.

Just wondering what your thoughts are now about your misgivings about the game before you played it. You had complained about Anita Sarkeesian being invovled and Ellie's gender and sexuality being a focal point in the game. I am only about a third to halfway through the game and although her sexuality is obvious in the game, I think it's dealt with well and it never screams 'Look at us, we're being edgy!'

What do you think?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Tried playing My Lovely Horse on guitar, jesus it's hard. I wish you could freeplay it anytime so I could log on specifically to play it.

You can load up any chapter that has it whenever you want if that helps

• Advertisement

Markitron wrote: »

Ah forgot about chapter select, thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Gyan84

Finished it last night. I liked the ending and overall I think it's more than a worthy successor to the first game.
    The fist fight between Abby and Ellie on the beach at the end was really well done I thought.

Ellie playing future days on the guitar but not hitting the notes because of her missing fingers was sad but a nice summary of all the loss revenge caused throughout the game.

By the end I only disliked two characters: Abby's father is one because I think he realized his hypocrisy in his indifference to killing Ellie when Marlene asks if he'd do the same to Abby, but even then he still doesn't think it necessary to tell Joel what was going to happen.

The second was Melanie. You don't get to go with your friends all the way from Seattle to Jackson with the purpose of killing someone and then later call Abby a terrible person for killing that someone

Wasn't sure if I wanted a sequel when I finished the first game but I definitely don't want a sequel to this. I wouldn't be surprised if we do get one though focusing on Abby and Lev returning to the fireflies or maybe even Ellie goes there since I can't see her returning to Jackson.

I'll probably do a second run on easy to get the collectibles I missed for the platinum.

Just wondering what your thoughts are now about your misgivings about the game before you played it. You had complained about Anita Sarkeesian being invovled and Ellie's gender and sexuality being a focal point in the game. I am only about a third to halfway through the game and although her sexuality is obvious in the game, I think it's dealt with well and it never screams 'Look at us, we're being edgy!'

What do you think?

From the look of the spoilers, it did give the impression that it could be a game which sacrificed its legacy in the name of pandering to current trends and opinions, but I was so so glad that was wrong.

The sexuality aspect is presented as unobtrusive for the most part and is handled with honesty and great dialogue. There are a couple of eye roll inducing moments but nothing that would matter.

I will always be wary of anything that has the name of Anita sarkesian even in the periphery of it, but I'm glad to say that The Last of Us Part 2 is just a really good game.

A solid 8 if I was to score it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

That's definitely going to be key when going for collectibles for the platinum. I've scavenged everything as much as possible but no doubt I've missed one or two things here and there. Chapter select looks like you can pick up from pretty much any location or encounter

What do you think?
    From the look of the spoilers, it did give the impression that it could be a game which sacrificed its legacy in the name of pandering to current trends and opinions, but I was so so glad that was wrong.

The sexuality aspect is presented as unobtrusive for the most part and is handled with honesty and great dialogue. There are a couple of eye roll inducing moments but nothing that would matter.

I will always be wary of anything that has the name of Anita sarkesian even in the periphery of it, but I'm glad to say that The Last of Us Part 2 is just a really good game.

A solid 8 if I was to score it.

I don't really understand why people would criticise this game for Ellie being a lesbian when that has been common knowledge for over 6 years now.

• Advertisement

I don't really understand why people would criticise this game for Ellie being a lesbian when that has been common knowledge for over 6 years now.

I had absolutely no issue with that aspect. I had just heard reports that it would be the focal point of the game.

Much as the same way I didn't give a **** about Nathan drake being straight, white and a man, but if uncharted became mostly about him fighting against the injustice of prejudice against "cis white men" but with an archaeological backdrop, id be pissed.

Thats the road I thought they were going down, especially when I heard sarkesian may be involved.

Hands up though, I was wrong.

Penn wrote: »
    That's definitely going to be key when going for collectibles for the platinum. I've scavenged everything as much as possible but no doubt I've missed one or two things here and there. Chapter select looks like you can pick up from pretty much any location or encounter

Chapter select works for the collectibles but as far as I know there isn't enough pills/gear pieces in one play through to get the upgrade related trophies.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,004 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

Gyan84 wrote: »
    Chapter select works for the collectibles but as far as I know there isn't enough pills/gear pieces in one play through to get the upgrade related trophies.

Yeah for upgrades, you need to do new game +

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

Wasn't sure if I wanted a sequel when I finished the first game but I definitely don't want a sequel to this..
    I think we're definitely getting a sequel to this or maybe something akin to 'Uncharted: The Lost Legacy. I didn't think I wanted a sequel to the first game but I definitely want a sequel to this. When I saw Abby at the pillars at the end of the game I was actually shocked. The suffering she must have endured is pretty grim and I'd like to see what happens to her and Lev. I also want to know what happens with Ellie now.

Oh really? Damn. I did wonder about that but wasn't sure if maybe there were some caches of pills/gear I'd missed along the way that might make up the difference.

Oh really? Damn. I did wonder about that but wasn't sure if maybe there were some caches of pills/gear I'd missed along the way that might make up the difference.

Yea it was like that with the first game. Even if you found every single resource in the game you still had to get to about 2/3 into a second playthrough to max every skill and weapon.

Actually, seen as how you have finished it, can you answer these 2 quick questions for me? Spoilers for the second half of the game!
    How many upgrade trees does Abby have? I have played the first half of her first day and I have just started making my way to the aqarium to find Owen. Think I have 2 or 3 branches but none of them look particularly useful so been saving my pills.

Roughly how far am I through the game? Think I am just shy of 18 hours playtime

Thanks in advance

Edit: If someone that has finished it could answer this that would be much appreciated.

Yea it was like that with the first game. Even if you found every single resource in the game you still had to get to about 2/3 into a second playthrough to max every skill and weapon.

Actually, seen as how you have finished it, can you answer these 2 quick questions for me? Spoilers for the second half of the game!

Thanks in advance

Sorry, haven't finished the game. I just meant in terms of my progress thus far.

Sorry, haven't finished the game. I just meant in terms of my progress thus far.

****e, sorry, hope I didn't ruin anything there.

I had absolutely no issue with that aspect. I had just heard reports that it would be the focal point of the game.

I can see the youtube video now "Dunne receives payment from Neil Cuckmann" :D

I will be interested to go back and look at all the leak stuff (and reactions) when I finish the game.

How many upgrade trees does Abby have? I have played the first half of her first day and I have just started making my way to the aqarium to find Owen. Think I have 2 or 3 branches but none of them look particularly useful so been saving my pills.

Thanks in advance

Edit: If someone that has finished it could answer this that would be much appreciated.
    4 or 5

You have a decent amount to go. Maybe 25% if not a little more

• Advertisement

Thanks in advance

Abby has the same amount of skills as Ellie which is 5 I think. Even after I got all of her skill books I didn't really find any of them as good as Ellie's but that could have been down to my play style.

I'd say your roughly 2/3 the way through. Maybe another 6-9 hours depending on how fast you play

4 or 5

You have a decent amount to go. Maybe 25% if not a little more
    Abby has the same amount of skills as Ellie which is 5 I think. Even after I got all of her skill books I didn't really find any of them as good as Ellie's but that could have been down to my play style.

I'd say your roughly 2/3 the way through. Maybe another 6-9 hours depending on how fast you play

Thanks guys, appreciate it.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

On skill trees:
    I found it a real pain having to revert back to making shivs to kill clickers after getting used to Ellie's knife!

****e, sorry, hope I didn't ruin anything there.

Nah, no worries. Think I'm at roughly the same spot as yourself.

Had to capture this, the way the blood chunks drop from the handle!

https://twitter.com/Sheehy_83/status/1275772053749194753?s=19

Had to capture this, the way the blood chunks drop from the handle!

https://twitter.com/Sheehy_83/status/1275772053749194753?s=19

The little details in the game are utterly staggering. Anytime I stealth kill someone I have to pan the camera around to see the faces, the animation is unreal.

I see a lot of people ragging on the combat but I'm finding it fairly class. Yeah, the stealthing around can be samey but when it goes to ****, you get to see some cool stuff.

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1275800655228215296?s=19

There's no way I'd ever be as fluid as that... how the fúck did they do the sliding back part.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

I see a lot of people ragging on the combat but I'm finding it fairly class. Yeah, the stealthing around can be samey but when it goes to ****, you get to see some cool stuff.

https://twitter.com/SunhiLegend/status/1275800655228215296?s=19

holy **** that sliding back part was so cool ahaha

• Advertisement

I had my first meeting with
    the Scars. That goddamn whistling
    Made the hairs on the back of the neck stand up.

Advertisement