Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

I feel zero guilt killing the dogs. Annoying fúckers.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

These gaming anger mobs on the internet really do believe that they are in the majority instead of them actually just being in an echo chamber exaggerating a non existent issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

So many good exclusives on the PS4 now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I'd be hard pushed to name 10.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

One man's meat is another man's poison and all that, though that said, I'd find it difficult to name 10 excellent exclusives on any of the current consoles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I thought Naughty Dog were about to ruin themselves by making a game no one wanted to buy?
    Azza wrote: »
    These gaming anger mobs on the internet really do believe that they are in the majority instead of them actually just being in an echo chamber exaggerating a non existent issue.

Well there is a couple ways to look at it. Tons of people went to see the Last Jedi. Hardly anyone went to see the next star wars movie, Solo. Sort of how when there is a really good episode of a tv show, the following episode gets better ratings and more viewers. Even the mainline titles. Force awakens made 2 billion. Jedi made 1.3 Rise of Skywalker made 1.0. Thats a downward trend.

So Naughty Dog's next games sales might be the proof in the pudding. We'll have to wait and see.

Anecdotally, I have FOUR close friends who all loved the first game and have refused to buy this one because of the spoiler controversey sh*tstorm. They all read spoilers. They all weren't happy. I've tried to convince them to play the game because it's worth playing but they wont budge. I keep telling them about the good things the game has to offer but they arent for shifting. Some people are stubborn.

It's anecdotal but their reaction shocked me. None of them are bigots or have issues with LGBT. They just hated the direction the story went. This isn't a modern warfare boycott where everyone buys it anyway. We are a week out and none have bought it. And one of them buys EVERYTHING on playsation.

Bigot money spends just as well so they lost their dollars. But they also lost dollars from people who wanted to play as Joel. Or wanted to play as Ellie and not the rage monster they turned her into.

The idea that the game would've sold better without the controversey isn't .......controversial.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,477 ✭✭✭Underground

Yeah hate to put a dampener on this but as an earlier poster already touched on, I can't see how continuing with Joel and Ellie's story is going to result in anything other than a step backwards, they can't possibly top the first game's story.

Also, in terms of game play TLOU was fairly ordinary, it was your bog standard 3rd person over the shoulder, cover based shooting, stealth elements, upgrade systems, collectathon like most AAA games these days. The only derivative box it didn't tick was that it wasn't open world and so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if this sequel added a sandbox dimension to the game.

The story carried the first game, and it was a really great story. I can't see how this one will be an improvement. All that doom and gloom aside, I obviously do hope I'm wrong. I hope it's great, and you never know, ND could be trolling us with this trailer. For all we know we could be playing as one of the fireflies in this game and Ellie and Joel are the antagonists, that would be an interesting twist.

Posted the above in 2016 when the first trailer dropped. Just finished TLOU2 today so thought I'd return to it. Unfortunately I kind of feel like my old comment holds true, at least for me. Having played through the sequel I can honestly say yeah, I really do wish they didn't return to Joel and Ellie's story.

I know there's a spoiler thread so I'll keep this quick and spoiler-free.

I'm pretty disappointed with this. Just like the first game, the gameplay does not do a whole lot particularly interesting, outside of looking gorgeous. I find myself getting bored playing this game. I probably need a break from AAA games at this point as it just felt like I'd already played this game 1,000 times. The gameplay is fine, it's functional, I'm just bored of it at this stage. Loot the drawers, craft the things, sneak the sneaks, etc etc. The first game got a pass on this because the story was so good. The story in this one? Well, not so much...

I kept playing and playing, waiting to see what caused all that gamer outrage prior to release. What are people so angry about? I'll spoiler tag this stuff even though I'm not spoiling anything, just general stuff about the story.
    Were people mad because you play as a homosexual girl travelling with her girlfriend? Or as a trans person? Or because there were trans people in the story? Who fcking cares?

I get that people were upset about Joel, but he had it coming. The whole lodge thing was done terribly, and to me was indicative of how much more poorly scripted / written this game is compared to the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭Barlett

Kirby wrote: »
    Well there is a couple ways to look at it. Tons of people went to see the Last Jedi. Hardly anyone went to see the next star wars movie, Solo. Sort of how when there is a really good episode of a tv show, the following episode gets better ratings and more viewers. So their next games sales might be the proof in the pudding.

Anecdotally, I have FOUR close friends who all loved the first game and have refused to buy this one because of the spoiler controversey sh*tstorm. They all read spoilers. They all weren't happy. I've tried to convince them to play the game because it's worth playing but they wont budge. I keep telling them about the good things the game has to offer but they arent for shifting. Some people are stubborn.

It's anecdotal but their reaction shocked me. None of them are bigots or have issues with LGBT. They just hated the direction the story went. This isn't a modern warfare boycott where everyone buys it anyway. We are a week out and none have bought it. And one of them buys EVERYTHING on playsation.

Bigot money spends just as well so they lost their dollars. But they also lost dollars from people who wanted to play as Joel. Or wanted to play as Ellie and not the rage monster they turned her into.

The idea that the game would've sold better without the controversey isn't .......controversial.

You could equally argue that the controversy about the game caused more people to go out and buy it and people who might bot have been interested wanted to make up their own minds and see what the fuss was about. Regardless, the aim of any product is to sell well and being the fastest selling PS4 game of all time is success in anyone's book. It'll probably go on to outsell the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Finished Ellie Day 3 and currently on A Day 1.
    Holy ****, i love this storyline and really liking playing as Abby and her crew. Instantly sympathetic with them. ****ing guns on Abby!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭RGARDINR

Sorry can I ask I am playing it at moment not sure if glitch or not in the game. The map won't open any more when I press on middle button on the controller just keeps going onto the make medicine/weapons etc. Just in Seattle when u escape from WLF. So after that part just won't open at all. Does that happen at this point and opens later in game?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

RGARDINR wrote: »
    Sorry can I ask I am playing it at moment not sure if glitch or not in the game. The map won't open any more when I press on middle button on the controller just keeps going onto the make medicine/weapons etc. Just in Seattle when u escape from WLF. So after that part just won't open at all. Does that happen at this point and opens later in game?

I think the only section you can open the map is Seattle day 1 (up to what i played so far anyway).

The map is only for the big open world of Downtown Seattle. After that, it won't open anymore via the touchpad but can still be viewed in your collectibles.

Thanks very much was doing my head in. I thought it had glitched on me. Couldn't see anything on YouTube about it.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    I think the only section you can open the map is Seattle day 1 (up to what i played so far anyway).

Thanks. Anyone else having a problem with the bank not getting crossed off the map? I see on YouTube it happens on people. Won't cross off on mine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Naughty Dog: “You’re upgrading your weapon with a scope? Congrats, man. Here’s a quick but lovingly animated and hyper-realistic weapon modding animation as a treat. Enjoy your newly modded weapon :)

Me: “.... but where’d the scope come from?”

• Registered Users Posts: 7,866 ✭✭✭Grumpypants

Naughty Dog: “You’re upgrading your weapon with a scope? Congrats, man. Here’s a quick but loving animated and hyper-realistic weapon modding animation as a treat. Enjoy your newly modded weapon :)

You just craft scopes out of nuts and bolts like in real life.

Then wrap a bandage around your wrist to fix the head wound.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Naughty Dog: “You’re upgrading your weapon with a scope? Congrats, man. Here’s a quick but loving animated and hyper-realistic weapon modding animation as a treat. Enjoy your newly modded weapon :)

"Quiet you! Let all our ASMR gun clacking upgrade noises distract you."

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Solo failed because it was a film nobody wanted and nobody asked for. Nobody asked to a see a young Han Solo movie without Harrison Ford.

Nobody asked for Rogue One either....yet it performed well. Why? Well one reason was because people loved Force Awakens and it was the next film.

The point I was making, and it's highlighted with quite a few examples through media entertainment, is that the effects of positive or negative reception is often not seen in the sales of that particular product....but the one that follows it.

Terminator 2, Toy Story 2, Blade Runner 2049, etc. All did massively better in the box office on the back of positive reception and word of mouth from the original. The inverse is also true.....people will "skip" the sequel to a bad film.

You can see BOTH effects in the Matrix Trilogy. The Matrix 2 did over 300 million more in box office off the back of the first Matrix movie and its cult status despite the sequel being an inferior film. Most people had issues with it.....so they didn't go see the third one.

4 million sales already is quite good for a console exclusive so people calling Last of us 2 a flop are deluded. But the strength of those sales come from the track record of the original.....and possibly the rather extensive advertising campaign. I must have seen 100 ads on tv for the game in the last week. Sony pushed it hard.

Rightly or wrongly this game displeased a section of the fan base. Lets see how the next Naughty Dog performs before we completely disregard the naysayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭Whatsisname

As someone who also has a crippling fear of heights, to say I felt the
    anxiety Abby feels
    crossing that stupidly high bridge is an understatement.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,622 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

This game feels almost endless, I love it!

Post-Seattle Day 3
    (Abby)

I did find it a little jarring when the game switched over to me having to play as Abby. At first I thought it was another short stint, until I seen the upgrade screen, then I knew I was gonna be spending a significant portion of the game as her, and I was honestly almost put off having to "level up" another character, especially one I was initially encouraged to despise. Is it weird I've grown sympathetic of not only Ellie, but Abby as well? The blood feud between the two is so intense and heart wrenching to watch, as both have absolutely valid reasons for wanting to kill each other (in this story at least) especially when you reach the theatre AS Abby.. I did not anticipate a boss fight against Ellie. That shocked me.

I've just started what I THINK is the
    "3rd act"
    of the story, so I'll get more into it tomomrrow

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

Just finished it. What an amazing game. To compare 1 and 2... I actually think 2 is better. I didnt think a game could be better than 1 story wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭All_in_Flynn

Really enjoying the game. Think I'm approaching the end.

I'm just
    at the beginning of Day 3 as Abby. That whole hospital section was very well done. Built the tension incredibly well. I was expecting armies of infected but they kept you guessing so I was constantly moving slowly through the whole section. The lads that jump out of the walls gave me a proper jump early on in the game so I constantly find myself shooting at random sections of the walls with the 'fungus' on them.

Interested to see now how this finishes out and if it's leaving room for a trilogy of finishing the story here and now.

I beat the game today. Good lord almighty that was an experience like no other.

After I beat it, I went and dug into why there was so much hate towards it.

Now that I know, I can safely say: the hate is unwarranted and petty. I actually feel bad for the haters of this game, because they'll never be happy. Everything will be a "disappointment" and nothing is worthwhile. A glass-half-empty crowd of negative nancies that don't like change. They also have no right to hate the game because the leaks were nothing in comparison to the whole experience of the game from front to back. You can look at the leaks all you want but until you play the game, your opinion is moot.

The story was spectacular, the gameplay was solid, the scare-factor was ramped up and the characters were amazing. I'm actually sick of everyone thinking a game/movie/show's story should be sunshine and rainbows because they get attached to characters and arcs. Everyone wants to be a f*cking analyst and pinpoint why certain things "don't match up" for them - why certain story elements are "bad decisions" when they've never done so much as create a thing in their lives.

The Last of Us Part II is a worthy follow-up to an already brilliant game. It's dark, depressing, and reality is very much part of it. If you want a feel-good experience, do not play this game. This game is meant to hurt you. And it f*cking hurts.

I loved this game from beginning to end.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I think people are entitled to hate the game although I don't agree with some of the reasons.
    Personally I didn't like the story, the way the characters developed, like really really hated it. Hated Abby and her cohorts and some of the game mechanics, like playing 1/2 the game as Abby. In the end that's my prerogative. Just like I said in the other thread ND are entitled to tell their story as they see fit. I simply wish it had gone a different way. I totally agree it's not a feel good game and perhaps that's discoloured it for me, plus I loved the first one.

It's still a great game. I have to say I'm really struggling through the second playthrough and losing the will to platinum. I played the first one several times consecutively on release and multiple times overall.

Each to their own.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,174 ✭✭✭ItsHoggie

Just got to the Seattle Day 2 and I’m enjoying the game but it hasn’t gripped like the first one did.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I think people are entitled to hate the game although I don't agree with some of the reasons.
    Personally I didn't like the story, the way the characters developed, like really really hated it. Hated Abby and her cohorts and some of the game mechanics, like playing 1/2 the game as Abby. In the end that's my prerogative. Just like I said in the other thread ND are entitled to tell their story as they see fit. I simply wish it had gone a different way. I totally agree it's not a feel good game and perhaps that's discoloured it for me, plus I loved the first one.

It's still a great game. I have to say I'm really struggling through the second playthrough and losing the will to platinum. I played the first one several times consecutively on release and multiple times overall.

Each to their own.

You played the game, your opinion is valid. You can be disappointed with your experience. I'm saying the people who hate the game prelaunch, those that saw the leaks and went "I hate this game completely and nothing will change my mind", the homophobes/transphobes that thought the game was "pandering", which I find disgusting. Just because a character is LGBT doesn't make them weird creatures that deserve different special treatment, they're human like everyone else with the only difference being who they'd rather take to bed, which is nobody's business even if you're straight. When does it stop becoming "pandering" whenever they're included in media? "It's okay to be gay but stay away from film/game/TV"?

Then there's that scene. Honestly, if 'My Girl' was made in 2020, there would be absolute carnage on social media, that's all I'll say. Everyone wants games written the way they think it should. "I think you should do this in your story" << there's the problem. It was Neill's story, he wanted to tell it they he wanted to, and share it with the consumers.

We don't tell an artist what painting to make, we don't tell a musician what song to make, so why do we feel the need to tell a story writer what story to write?

I'm the type of person that accepts a story for what it is, because it's not my story. If I wanted it to go my way, I'd have sent in my CV or I'd write my own fan-piece (that's what fanfiction is there for)

I was targeting those who saw the leaks and tried to boycott the game, even post-launch. If you've played the game, your opinion is 100% valid (provided it's an educated opinion and not one filled with hate speech)

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭AVFC.Stephen

I beat the game today. Good lord almighty that was an experience like no other.

After I beat it, I went and dug into why there was so much hate towards it.

Now that I know, I can safely say: the hate is unwarranted and petty. I actually feel bad for the haters of this game, because they'll never be happy. Everything will be a "disappointment" and nothing is worthwhile. A glass-half-empty crowd of negative nancies that don't like change. They also have no right to hate the game because the leaks were nothing in comparison to the whole experience of the game from front to back. You can look at the leaks all you want but until you play the game, your opinion is moot.

The story was spectacular, the gameplay was solid, the scare-factor was ramped up and the characters were amazing. I'm actually sick of everyone thinking a game/movie/show's story should be sunshine and rainbows because they get attached to characters and arcs. Everyone wants to be a f*cking analyst and pinpoint why certain things "don't match up" for them - why certain story elements are "bad decisions" when they've never done so much as create a thing in their lives.

The Last of Us Part II is a worthy follow-up to an already brilliant game. It's dark, depressing, and reality is very much part of it. If you want a feel-good experience, do not play this game. This game is meant to hurt you. And it f*cking hurts.

I loved this game from beginning to end.

Overall I felt the game very emotional than scary. I didnt cry lol but at some parts without naming where.... I was close to a tear lol

I never thought a game could do that to me.

Overall I felt the game very emotional than scary. I didnt cry lol but at some parts without naming where.... I was close to a tear lol

I never thought a game could do that to me.

I teared up at the part where
    Joel told Ellie the truth about the Fireflies outside the hospital, after Ellie broke down.

Advertisement