Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Markitron

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Goddamn this game is hard to talk about. I think that's another bit, some of my friends have cleared it and itching to talk to me about it. I feel like I've done so well avoiding leaks, I want to finish it ASAP to make sure it stays that way but the rushing is definitely taking away from the enjoyment.

Its a game that just constantly subverts the players expectations. They tend to be easier to spoil unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,737 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Can I just ask how you are enjoying this game? Has it lived up to expectations? As good as the first?

I have yet to purchase but the first one was my favourite game of the last 10years and I loved it but I haven't played it for well over 5 years and I'm nearly scared to try second one incase it doesn't live up to hype.
    The same thing happened me with red dead redemption 2 I was looking forward to it but I hated it compared to first and only played a quarter of it before giving up.

Should I purchase immediately? :)

I would say it's not as good as the first. It's overly long, story overall isn't as good and it doesn't have enough of those "moments" that made the first game so special. Which in fairness, is what happens with a lot of sequels, because the first game tends to take you by surprise due to your lack of knowledge of it, and the sequel tends to go out of its way to try and surprise you.

That said, I'd still recommend purchasing it. I really enjoyed it throughout (although it did start to feel like a bit of a slog towards the end). New enemy types keep you on your toes, and while the story isn't as good as the first, I still think it's a decent story, and still above most games you'd play. In terms of quality, I think it's closer to the first game than RDR2 was to RDR1 imo.

Just leave your expectations at the door.

I think it is a better game that the first, the changes they make and the directions they took all hit the mark for me. From a technical and gameplay perspective its a massive improvement.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,455 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

The game is far from perfect, and while I’m generally really enjoying it it - like the first - definitely wouldn’t top my game of the year list or anything like that (maybe a fair bit down the list). But compared to RDR2 it’s a goddamn masterpiece, if that’s the criteria anyone is basing a purchase on :pac:

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

This is a whole nother level of sad. Trying to troll a United fan in another forum because Liverpool won the league. The clubs first title in 30 years and you cant even enjoy it without having Manchester United and their fans burrowed deep in your psyche, and you are heading for 40 years of age :D:D:D. T-hanks will certainly never walk alone with you boys around anyway. :pac:

The post has been deleted and warning given.

If there's anything else in the thread, let me know. I don't want to read anything here for fear of spoilers, so hopefully that was the only one :pac:

• Advertisement

The game is far from perfect, and while I’m generally really enjoying it it - like the first - definitely wouldn’t top my game of the year list or anything like that (maybe a fair bit down the list). But compared to RDR2 it’s a goddamn masterpiece.

Well it has actually got responsive controls that actually work, which is always nice

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

does the dodge button feel responsive or is it just me?
    the bit where you fight the clicker things as Abby with the hammer drove me insane.
    dodge feels a bit random at times.

gimli2112 wrote: »
    does the dodge button feel responsive or is it just me?
    the bit where you fight the clicker things as Abby with the hammer drove me insane.
    dodge feels a bit random at times.

I had the same experience, but eventually I got used to it after the game kinda forces you at one point. Now I am at the end of the game and I just dodged my way through an entire encounter with infected.

yeah it did seem to improve as I got later in the game although I never really felt I knew what I was doing

gimli2112 wrote: »
    yeah it did seem to improve as I got later in the game although I never really felt I knew what I was doing

The worst part of dodging is it can be very difficult to recognise follow-up attacks, especially from stalkers. The tight camera also makes it hard to see and dodge attacks coming from behind you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,709 ✭✭✭shrewdness

J. Marston wrote: »
    Starting Seattle Day 1 (A)...
    Despite seeing the leaks and my misgivings about the story I was enjoying the game a lot and especially the interactions between Ellie, Dina and Jesse.

But now we're on to Abby. I'm sorry but I just don't give a shít about this character. TLOU is Ellie and Joel and 5 minutes of Abby and her super nice guy Dad helping a zebra isn't going to strike an emotional chord with me. I presume we'll get a lot more of that but I won't care. I anticipate this part of the game being a slog.
    All I can suggest for this part is try to approach it with an open mind. When I got to controlling Abby, I was like "Well fúck this!" It was late one night when I had just finished an intensive section with Ellie, so it was very jarring to then be controlling Abby. I raced through the first hour of her story without giving a shít, not exploring etc. Then when I sat down to play again the next evening, I gradually got into it more and began to enjoy that story. Some of the best sequences are with Abby, so it would be a shame not to be invested in it.

I get it though, it's a risky and divisive gameplay switch which simply won't please everyone, despite what anyone says. I've seen some people who had the same reaction as me at first, but then went on to liking Abby alot more. Then I've seen some people whose opinion on her never changed by the end. I guess seeing the leaks a good while ago and thinking about that direction, will have completely changed up people's expectations of the story, and by the time the game came out, it had a huge task to change people's minds by then. I'm not sure how I would have reacted had I know for a while that I would be controlling Abby, it might have took longer to come around to the idea. Having said that, I seen other people who didn't see the leaks at all and still never took to Abby, so it's different for everyone.

shrewdness wrote: »
    All I can suggest for this part is try to approach it with an open mind. When I got to controlling Abby, I was like "Well fúck this!" It was late one night when I had just finished an intensive section with Ellie, so it was very jarring to then be controlling Abby. I raced through the first hour of her story without giving a shít, not exploring etc. Then when I sat down to play again the next evening, I gradually got into it more and began to enjoy that story. Some of the best sequences are with Abby, so it would be a shame not to be invested in it.

I get it though, it's a risky and divisive gameplay switch which simply won't please everyone, despite what anyone says. I've seen some people who had the same reaction as me at first, but then went on to liking Abby alot more. Then I've seen some people whose opinion on her never changed by the end. I guess seeing the leaks a good while ago and thinking about that direction, will have completely changed up people's expectations of the story, and by the time the game came out, it had a huge task to change people's minds by then. I'm not sure how I would have reacted had I know for a while that I would be controlling Abby, it might have took longer to come around to the idea. Having said that, I seen other people who didn't see the leaks at all and still never took to Abby, so it's different for everyone.
    I thought Abby was a great character. The start of her story was quite jarring compared to what we'd just been through as Ellie and what really annoyed me was having to start upgrades/weapons again. But Abby as a character and particularly her relationship with Lev were done really well compared to her gang who we knew were all on borrowed time anyway (though Owen started growing on me by the end too which surprised me). Her sections just started to feel like a slog by the end though because they really ramped up the action side of gameplay which made it harder for a stealthier playthough. You could barely move anywhere without being spotted and some of the exploration, especially in Day 2 just went on way too long.

I never took to Abby. All the feeble attempts to get me to like her and her crew failed. We're soldiers and are tired of all the killing, save the Zebras, save the scars even the little odd one.......I didn't have an ounce of sympathy slaughtering any of them. I actually thought the end fight would allow you to kill Abby. I was just at the point of strangling her when I let go of the strangle button. A decision I came to regret more than just about any gaming decision I ever made. I'm kind of happy and bummed out now you can't kill her.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Mod Note: Anymore of these posts with off topic feuds and nonsense after this post I'll start handing out bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Finished A Seattle Day 2
    Abby
    the hospital was cool but i expected more from ground zero, more notes and bodies. The boss was class but came and went too quick. The whole scaling the building and dropping through the floors was great as well, especially with her fear of heights.

Also really liking Lev and Yara. Interesting development with Lev and if this is the trans thing people are freaking out about, i don't feel it's forced at all. I honestly thought the trans outrage was about Abby. Now, maybe there's a trans story yet to come with her but so far, i don't feel any 'sjw agendas' are being forced on players.

Im ready to get through day 3 though and get back to Ellie.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

For anyone looking for something different gameplay wise during a replay of the game.
    Did not know slow-mo was an option but looks awesome.

I would not click the video if you have not completed the game due to the YouTube comments so be warned.

Cool! Thanks.

jones wrote: »
    I'm twenty hours in and without going into spoilers I'm on the "other side" of the story now. Do I think it's the perfect game no but I really love it. I really can't see what people are going on about with the boring combat or samey landscape variety in this. It's the last of us not Arkham city or horizon...what did people expect? I was shocked at elements in the story but I find it funny how people look at the ending of the first one. I definitely would have done what Joel did although probably without killing anyone if that was possible.

The story, graphics and design all have me hooked but I am a sucker for naughtydog games so their template obviously appeals to me.

I'm still not finished the but so far 9/10 for me. Why oh why didn't they include multiplayer with this I loved the multiplayer on the first game

I assume they must be working on the multiplayer now, no?

Can I just ask how you are enjoying this game? Has it lived up to expectations? As good as the first?

I have yet to purchase but the first one was my favourite game of the last 10years and I loved it but I haven't played it for well over 5 years and I'm nearly scared to try second one incase it doesn't live up to hype.
    The same thing happened me with red dead redemption 2 I was looking forward to it but I hated it compared to first and only played a quarter of it before giving up.

Should I purchase immediately? :)

i think that's a good analogy actually. Both The Last of Us and Red Dead Redemption are two of my favourite games. I enjoyed the sequels to both but neither live up to the original for me, and about 1/2 way through both, my enthusiasm ebbed. I finished them and enjoyed them, but I also wanted to be done with them after a point, which I didn't feel with the originals.

So, good analogy. Neither sequel is as good as the original.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,040 ✭✭✭jones

J Mysterio wrote: »
    I assume they must be working on the multiplayer now, no?

I reckon so I remember some announcement that it would be launched separately a while back but does that mean it's a separate game or just an add on who knows.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Scars vs Wolves for the multiplayer presumably. I remember the first's MP having some vicious execution animations, looking forward to seeing how they outdo that!

Read recently that the stand alone multiplayer is still in the works and also no plans for story dlc. No idea how legit that is though.

There was a video of the multiplayer in action from the leaks so I'd say that's a certainty. Wolves and scars would be a great idea as they have different playstyles, also would be cool to whistle on command for different things.

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    Read recently that the stand alone multiplayer is still in the works and also no plans for story dlc. No idea how legit that is though.

There was a video of the multiplayer in action from the leaks so I'd say that's a certainty. Wolves and scars would be a great idea as they have different playstyles, also would be cool to whistle on command for different things.

Tried that at home, didn't work out well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,444 ✭✭✭recyclops

recyclops wrote: »
    I wish I was. A masterclass in gaming.

I am near the end from what I can gather its around 10 hours too long, they took the worst parts of the first extended and them.

It's just not as tight as the first game and very few (one imo) stand out moments so far. I just hope the end changes that.

All done. Was fine, got some cred back

• Registered Users Posts: 23,178 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Seattle Day 1 (A)...
    Just left Manny to go off looking for Owen.

How many hours do I have left, roughly?

• @gimli and kirby
    Unfortunately I was incorrect about listen mode specifically, slightly misunderstood the point made

Apologies here

I did find this a useful reference for the control options if that helps

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-last-of-us-2-accessibility-and-difficulty-opti/1100-6478756/

J. Marston wrote: »
    Seattle Day 1 (A)...
    Just left Manny to go off looking for Owen.

How many hours do I have left, roughly?

You are almost exactly halfway. I think I got to that point at about 14 hours and I finished it at 28 hours

btw Anyone wanting to do the same make sure you make a manual save after completing the game and do not delete it. Every time you go into chapter select it erases any progress from that chapter onwards and the only way to bring it back is by loading the completed game save. So it you lose that manual save you won't have access to chapter select or new game plus.

Good to know thanks!

Advertisement