Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Last Of Us 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,841 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

• Registered Users Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

Spoiler....ish...

https://youtu.be/5HDZyBreN1E

As much as I enjoyed TLOU 2, I never put much thought into a sequel but after watching this, I kinda hope they do one now.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

An unnecessary sequel to an unnecessary sequel.

No thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

Retr0gamer wrote: »

No thanks.

But think of all the fuel it would give you for giving out about modern triple A games!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

No thanks.

You could say that about any franchise really. But there where would we be?

The video does raise some very good potential plotlines, and it makes a good fist of tying it all together.

It will all depend on the financial success of TLOU2, and the view of whether there is an appetite to go back and face the same criticism about story choices.

They need to take into account that there are very many people that simply are fed up with TLOU2 and won't bother with TLOU3. How much that is is the question.

They certainly need have a complete review of how the decisions were made for TLOU2 and there were many aspects of the game that simply did not work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭McFly85

I'd be fine with a sequel but the core gameplay needs to evolve. Both games have great moments but the majority of them are just going through waves of uninteresting human groups. Oddly you could see ND were toying with a little more freedom at the start of 2 before reverting back to type.

If there is a TLOU3 and it's another road trip going from A to B crafting the same items up against more boring groups, I'll pass and watch the story online.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'd love them to do Factions for Last of Us part 2 and maybe a PS5 update for it if it was possible. Maybe something like Left Behind would work but after Part 2 maybe its best to work on a new franchise, a new game with Abby would result in a backlash.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭Frankie5Angels

McFly85 wrote: »
    If there is a TLOU3 and it's another road trip going from A to B crafting the same items up against more boring groups, I'll pass and watch the story online.

That's one thing that really grated with me this time around. You'd get to a place and think you were at the next stage but no, you had to go somewhere else which was a very similar journey. That's fine in an open-world game where you can toddle off and do other things along the way, but not in a linear game such as this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭The Raging Bile Duct

ERG89 wrote: »
    I'd love them to do Factions for Last of Us part 2 and maybe a PS5 update for it if it was possible. Maybe something like Left Behind would work but after Part 2 maybe its best to work on a new franchise, a new game with Abby would result in a backlash.

Tbf, a backlash from the pathetic menbabies that you see online giving out about that sort of thing should not influence what a company produces.

But I agree with McFly that the core gameplay needs a major revamp. A much shorter game also would have had a greater impact imo.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote: »

Factions is coming but the fact it's been almost a year since release and not a peep is very strange. They could release a chunky dlc covering the time of Joel and Tommy as Hunters to show why what went around came around but people would probably freak for making Joel look bad (even though that's his backstory).

I think anything they do now would result in backlash but I hope that wouldn't stop them at least trying. The gameplay definitely needs a fresher. I only played through this twice and 2nd time had me just running through because I couldn't be bothered with the encounters. Where as in the first game, I played through multiple times and I loved Survivor difficulty for the extra challenge.

I assume a 1 year anniversary of the next gen versions and Factions is in the books but who knows.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,454 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I definitely think Naughty Dog, whatever they do next, could benefit massively from shorter games or even episodic ones. Their model doesn’t really work across 20+ hours IMO, and is at its best in shorter form. Of course, perhaps the ultimate solution would be to try something totally different to ‘cinematic third person shooter’, but if they’re sticking with that then their games will suffer dramatically if they continue making them longer and longer.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,408 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Way of the Warrior 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭Mr.Saturn

LOU2 was padded enough out that it virtually served as its own sequel. That said, it is inevitable a proper LOU3 sees them go full Telltale Walking Dead and have Ellie assume the Joel role to hammer home everything they’d already said many times over.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Screw Attack

It's a good game overall. The gameplay is obviously superior to the original but Incel Pete and his YouTube pals will obviously ignore that. Seattle Day One is like a mini exploration sandbox that shows off the core mechanics and I really love the rappel feature, sadly it's underutilised but when it occurs it's fun. The Scars are also great foes and it reminds me of what MGS4 could have been in the second chapter if they had enemies which showcased the stealth. I'll give it a 7/10 and its worth a replay. Better than the first one in terms of gameplay but I understand the complaints regarding the controversial story. It'll get better with age.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Zero-Cool wrote: »
    As much as I enjoyed TLOU 2, I never put much thought into a sequel but after watching this, I kinda hope they do one now.

No thanks.

What is it about TLOU that makes some people so stridently and ardently opinionated with matching levels of blind self-assured justification in their thinking?

This isn't Catholicism in 1970's Ireland people, nobody is forcing you to take part in any of this, on any level, not ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

I just think it's a bad game in comparison to the first and didn't enjoy it .

I'd love to tell you I did like it. TLOU is one of my favourite games with multiple playthroughs. I found this an incredible chore the second playthrough and while I liked certain aspects the first time round, I thought the story was horrid but that's just my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,652 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

gimli2112 wrote: »
    I just think it's a bad game in comparison to the first and didn't enjoy it .

I'd love to tell you I did like it. TLOU is one of my favourite games with multiple playthroughs. I found this an incredible chore the second playthrough and while I liked certain aspects the first time round, I thought the story was horrid but that's just my opinion.

I would lean much the same, I still haven't gone back for a second playthrough which is telling.

Just felt that it was too drawn out. They had a story to tell, and by god they were going to make sure sure that you not only listened to their story but understood the finer points they were trying to make.

But based on TLOU1, there is a great story and game in there. I just felt they lost their way somewhat in TLOU2. It became bloated, but I understand why. They were attempting a very complex story, and it needed time to tell properly.

Plenty of points I would make about the game that I would change but I would hate to see the entire thing ditched because they failed to maintain the standard of TLOU. TLOU2 is a good game, not a great game like TLOU. But that is always the risk in a sequel.

But for all that, the possibilities for TLOU3 are immense. Further understanding of Abby, to see whether Ellie is truly broken and whether she can redeem herself. The 'universe' they have created is fascinating, terrifying, deep and full of intrigue yet at the end of the day it is all about the simple act of survival.

I thought they tried to do too much in the TLOU2. TLOU1 worked because, at its heart, it was s simple story of the relationship between Ellie and Joel. TLOU2 just had too much going on.

But take those lessons from TLOU2 and there is a great game in there.

Mango Joe wrote: »
    What is it about TLOU that makes some people so stridently and ardently opinionated with matching levels of blind self-assured justification in their thinking?

This isn't Catholicism in 1970's Ireland people, nobody is forcing you to take part in any of this, on any level, not ever.

It's a discussion forum. We are discussing it. And the people that don't love it have already laid out their reasoning quite well.

just to clarify my second playthrough was for collectibles/failed platinum run not because I'm a masochist. In saying that I wouldn't mind fighting the rat king again if only to see him pull Abbey's head off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

It’s annoying you can’t get the platinum in one walkthrough. Far too intense for me to play it a second time. I enjoyed it tho

I really don't think part 2 needed to be as long as it was. It's a much less complex story than the first and the characters were paper thin with little development. There's really nothing the game that the game did or said that couldn't have been said in 6 to 8 hours. Even at that it would still be a vapid revenge story, all seen and done before but far better.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Tbf, a backlash from the pathetic menbabies that you see online giving out about that sort of thing should not influence what a company produces.

The same "manbabies" backlash that gave out about The last of us 2 are the same types that gave out about The Last Jedi.....and that cost Disney several billion dollars. Billion with a B.

I wouldn't be so quick to dismiss such a large section of the population. I'm buying Naughty Dog's next thing regardless because I enjoy their stuff but if future sales are down......I wouldn't be shocked. Pissing off or "polarizing" your fanbase has consequences.

Am I allowed hate the Last Jedi because it's **** and not because I'm a bigot yet? Same question for the ghostbusters film.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,605 ✭✭✭sniper_samurai

Am I allowed hate the Last Jedi because it's **** and not because I'm a bigot yet? Same question for the ghostbusters film.

Yes. Ghostbusters 2016 is awful, the cast do what they can with it but can't save a terrible script.

Last Jedi is a middle film in a trilogy that doesn't know how to be a middle film and cuts off pretty much every story thread which meant Rise of Skywalker had very little to work with.

I really hate admitting this on an internet forum but I actually liked Ghostbusters 2016. I do think Kristin Wiig and Melissa McCarthy are hilarious. I guess liking that movie and hating TLOU2 puts me in a very small subset.

All the actors in ghostbusters were wasted and couldn't save that film. They tried their best but nothing good is going to come from that script.

Advertisement