Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PDC World Championship 2017

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭bajer101

I'm no fan of Taylor at all, but at least he wasn't his usual graceless self tonight.

Actually surprised he signed it

TbL

What could he do but sign it? He is an awful tosser though. Sexual assault. Leaving your kids on welfare while you have millions in the bank. Cheating on the D12. F*ck him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭mightyreds

koppy wrote: »
    Hard to pick winner now. Struggling to pick who to shout for even. Like the 4 that's left

At least it's not a toss up between Taylor and hybrechts, shutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

bajer101 wrote: »
    What could he do but sign it? He is an awful tosser though. Sexual assault. Leaving your kids on welfare while you have millions in the bank. Cheating on the D12. F*ck him.

Maybe you should do more research on some of that stuff before harping on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,239 ✭✭✭alan partridge aha

Ando all day long for me. Love to see him do the 3 in a row.

He be bottom of my list for wanting to win. He can get very narky, not as nice as he likes to portray. Personally it would be nice for Wright to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Anderson looking the sharpest to me at the moment. Wright has been fantastic but I think Gary might have the extra gear when it matters. Should be a hell of a game though.

Barney needs to step wayyy up to give Michael a game. I don't see it.

• Advertisement

mdwexford wrote: »
    Maybe you should do more research on some of that stuff before harping on about it.

I'm not harping on about anything. Enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭FrKurtFahrt

Whoa! I remember reading something about the assault (was his OBE recalled, or something like that?). However, where did you get the rest of that from, and what is D12?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,147 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Why do they use a man with a worn out drunken voice who speaks bad English to call out scores. Surely someone with a clear voice who can pronounce words correctly should be doing it? I cringe every time he speaks, and he looks like he's just out of prison.
    I don't get it /

• Registered Users Posts: 2,384 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Why do they use a man with a worn out drunken voice who speaks bad English to call out scores. Surely someone with a clear voice who can pronounce words correctly should be doing it? I cringe every time he speaks, and he looks like he's just out of prison.
    I don't get it /
    He looks like a prison guard? I don't get it.

Whoa! I remember reading something about the assault (was his OBE recalled, or something like that?). However, where did you get the rest of that from, and what is D12?

He tried to get a High Court injunction to stop the publication of an interview with his daughters. The sexual assualt stuff is well documented. The double 12 cheat is also well documented. It was in a lesser tournament in Gibraltar, but it shows the calibre of the man. In sports like Darts, Golf and Snooker there is an onus on the competitor to call "fouls" on themselves. Phil didn't. Tells me all I need to know about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,455 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Ah, double 12 - I genuinely thought there'd been some issue in Dublin 12 involving Taylor that I'd missed. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

He tried to get a High Court injunction to stop the publication of an interview with his daughters. The sexual assualt stuff is well documented. The double 12 cheat is also well documented. It was in a lesser tournament in Gibraltar, but it shows the calibre of the man. In sports like Darts, Golf and Snooker there is an onus on the competitor to call "fouls" on themselves. Phil didn't. Tells me all I need to know about him.

Can't say I'd heard of that incident before, add it to the list though, fcking hell that was never in!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

I'd like to see MVG vs Anderson in the final with MVG winning - I also think this would be a great match and hard to call - both have had a great performances but both have also had moments where they should have won - they are the most consistent and best of the 4 left

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

koppy wrote: »
    Hard to pick winner now. Struggling to pick who to shout for even. Like the 4 that's left

MVG is the best player but he tends to get flustered a bit when under pressure and I'd fancy Anderson to beat him as Anderson has a great temperament and no weaknesses in his game.

Barney will need to step his game up a lot if he's to trouble MVG. Wouldn't write him off though, he will not be easily beaten and MVG has flirted with danger already in this tournament so he's not invincible.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,882 ✭✭✭sc86

have anderson backed at 6/1 since start

barney was 33/1 before lewis match - serious price

• Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

sc86 wrote: »
    have anderson backed at 6/1 since start

barney was 33/1 before lewis match - serious price

don't think Barney will win it but he has a chance and yes 33/1 would be looking like a very big price right now. Not many players can live with MVG but barney at his best is one who can and you wouldn't write him off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 641 ✭✭✭raiders11

Of the four left, have to say, would love any of them win it... But in order, Barney first, always being my favourite, but his mood swings do annoy me(look controlled so far).. Anderson at 2, looked lost hope before champs but fair dues, man on a hat trick.... At 3, MVG, best player out there by country mile BUT its the world champs, ye gotta prove yourself.. Poor old bridesmaid at 4, just can't take to him but if wins it, has been so consistent n will have no complaints..

Mvg will beat Wright in final..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,960 ✭✭✭Liamalone

I don't get it /

He's part of 'Darts' lol, husky he is but I think he's clear enough :) Aside from that, to me it's just background noise .... at the end of the day, if you're watching darts you shouldn't need to 'listen' to him really. The Sky scorecard and your own nugget should be ample :(not trying to be funny)

Yeah, I like his huskiness, I admit it, 2017 don't you dare!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,825 ✭✭✭Healio

Inquitus wrote: »

Best part of this was, Barney left the board where it was signed! :D:D

I am on a scottish winner myself, so have one runner in a final regardless; my low-down for what its worth:

MVG: By far the most tested in any defence of a title, Gurney match on the face looked a bit easier than it was, but still pulled out the 5-1. No Danger from Barney.

Barney: Not convinced at all, got through three underperformers,
    so far. I be disappointed if he gets better than 6-1 tomorrow.

Anderson: Looking cagey through RD's 1&2 until the onslaught (9/9 DBL's & 108 avg) in RD 3. Scoring power & bottle confirmed against chizzy.

Wright: Frustating sort, Absolute solid ton-plus shooter, tested on a level close to MVG so far, great for the game to see him get the win over GA & MVG. As said will shoot a solid 100+ hope he gets chances v GA, and if lucky enough MVG.

Verdict
    MVG dismantles Barney, Wright/Anderson ends up a thriller with a 6-4 either-way. (most likely Anderson).

Anderson starts slow in final, trailing 2-1/3-0, before a burst to take a 4-X lead. Cagey affair after, with Anderson 7-6/7-5 prevailing to remain unbeaten in three years at Ally Pally/

Errrrrrrmmnnn, what title is MVG defending? Ooooooopppsss aaaaa .......

Edit: I'm drunk, lost focus after that lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Gotya

Yesterday was a super day of darts!.

What I'd like to comment on most though is the board signing. Barney without doubt had it mind if he was going to win he was going to get Phil to sign the board. Not for Barney, not for the crowd or whoever got the board, that was for Phil Taylor. It was like, "hey buddy, you made me do it for years after beating me, now sign it and get off the stage.. you lost" :)

Also, after Phil sulated the crowd, congratulated Barney and walked off stage, Barney went back to shake the caller and markers hand, where it appeared the marker pointed to where he left the board on the water table, (the rest I can only imagine what was said, but it really appeared to be..) and said "don't forget the board" Barney then was laughing and possibly said "I don't even want the board or give it to anyone, someone will get it, I only wanted Phil to sign it after losing" Barney then walked off stage without the board and turned back towards the marker and started laughing.

Maybe that's not the case, but, if any ye get a chance to watch it again?. As I said I definitely think Barney only done it to somewhat rub Phil's nose in it. Which is no harm :) it needed to be done.

Reckon, MVG vs Anderson final. Think MVG will do him too, but wouldn't be surprised with Ando doing 3 in a row nor if we get a sudden death leg :) looking forward to it.

Happy new year.

Wouldn't be surprised to see Wright beating Ando in the semi, it's just finals that Peter has an issue with. I really hope Wright wins it out, MVG might have something to say about it though.

Don't think Ray has a hope against the green machine.

Van Gerwan and Wright are the only 2 to average over 100 in all their matches. Wonder is it a sign?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

MVG though has seemed fragile in the opening rounds, yes he is scoring well, he always does, but opponents throwing away doubles have made him look a lot better than what he has been playing, would not rule Barney out if he plays to his best, but Wright/Anderson will punish him in the final if he continues to play how he has in previous rounds, he has been very shaky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

Xenji wrote: »
    MVG though has seemed fragile in the opening rounds, yes he is scoring well, he always does, but opponents throwing away doubles have made him look a lot better than what he has been playing, would not rule Barney out if he plays to his best, but Wright/Anderson will punish him in thej final if he continues to play how he has in previous rounds, he has been very shaky.

That said theres no point peaking against lesser players in earlier rounds. MvG knew he'd win those 4 matches before a dart was thrown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

gramar wrote: »
    That said theres no point peaking against lesser players in earlier rounds. MvG knew he'd win those 4 matches before a dart was thrown.

True, but it is a risky strategy, Cristo Reyes could of possibly taken him but for some awful double work, also I would not like to hold back against weaker players and hope to motor through the likes of Barney, yes he beat Lewis but the Taylor game was very pedestrian, but he can suddenly just up his scoring as seen against Norris.

Wright and Anderson though have been playing consistently well and punishing players from the get go, they have the intensity, MVG has been lacking the killer instinct, if you are that good, even if you hold back, you are still gonna have an easy go of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,045 ✭✭✭✭gramar

I think MvG wasnt too bothered about hammering players in early rounds. He wasn't going to send any type of message as he the rest know what he can do. What matters is what he does against the top players. He'll have too much for Barney I think and would beat Wright but against Anderson he'll need to be on top form.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭mikeoneilly

I think MVG is under pressure to win

Anderson for me

I think MVG is under pressure to win

Anderson for me

He is, he's trying not to be under pressure but he is, against Gurnfacey he missed quite a few doubles n that but SuperChinOntheFloor couldn't hit the doubles to trouble him.

I would love Wright to win just because:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Veloce

Hi all.

Just wondering if any of you know any pubs in Dublin city centre that will be showing the darts to tonight?

Thanks in advance

Advertisement