Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Too late for bulbs?

Options
  • 28-11-2016 6:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

HI guys

Recently moved into a house and we had to dig up a part of the garden that was littered with bulbs. I'm talking hundreds. I remember that part of the garden being so beautiful when we viewed so would love to re plant them. Is it now too cold to plant bulbs? And if so how would I store them to keep for next year's planting?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Thank you

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

What type are they. Most will need fine planted over the next week or two.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 bellsapiper

What type are they. Most will need fine planted over the next week or two.

I have no idea to be honest. All I can make out are daffodils and tulips. But there are some pretty big ones, they look like celeriac almost. And some like potatoes.

I know my veg but not my flowers ha ha. I'll plant them this weekend. Thank you so much, I was worried it was gone too cold

• Registered Users Posts: 6,314 ✭✭✭secman

I have no idea to be honest. All I can make out are daffodils and tulips. But there are some pretty big ones, they look like celeriac almost. And some like potatoes.

I know my veg but not my flowers ha ha. I'll plant them this weekend. Thank you so much, I was worried it was gone too cold
    Probably some Dahlia tubers there too ?

secman wrote: »
    Probably some Dahlia tubers there too ?

Yes!! Well according to Google images. That is exactly what they are. Are they to be planted this time of year?

Sorry I am completely clueless

• Registered Users Posts: 28,448 ✭✭✭✭looksee

The very big ones could well be hippeastrums, which people plant in the hope that they will flower outside. They will not, they grow leaves but that's all.

They are not as knobbly as celeriac though, large smooth bulbs shaped a bit like an onion.

• Advertisement

looksee wrote: »
    The very big ones could well be hippeastrums, which people plant in the hope that they will flower outside. They will not, they grow leaves but that's all.

They are not as knobbly as celeriac though, large smooth bulbs shaped a bit like an onion.

No but my mother has one out the back for the last three years and it has only ever grown leaves so thank you😆

I will try and put up picture of so called "celeriac" in the morn.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Keep the dahlias out of the ground till March/April after any hard frosts. Daffodil can go in now

• Registered Users Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭mayo.mick

We planted 2,000 daffodil bulbs last week, more to go in this week too! Should be OK, Dalihas though I think have to be stored over winter and planted in late spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,401 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

If you are near the coast and bury the Dahlias around 10cm down you should be able to get away with leaving them in, I'm about 1.5km from the sea here on the east coast and never bother digging mine up, I'd guess ore than 5 or so km inland might be another story, we rarely get much of an air frost, my lowest temperature of the year being around -3C

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭jaffa20

Supercell wrote: »
    If you are near the coast and bury the Dahlias around 10cm down you should be able to get away with leaving them in, I'm about 1.5km from the sea here on the east coast and never bother digging mine up, I'd guess ore than 5 or so km inland might be another story, we rarely get much of an air frost, my lowest temperature of the year being around -3C

Really?I am right beside the coast and it was -4 last night. I never risked it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement