Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Thinking of doing a half marathon

• 28-11-2016 6:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if I am being a bit unrealistic here...

I have done several 10k's in the past but I am considering going for a half marathon. I'm training at the moment and can run 7k no issue. I'm running mainly to get back into shape but also i find it helps with mental health/energy.
    I have a 10k coming up in March and I usually do a 10k each May but I'm thinking of just trying for the half marathon. Not sure if I'm just being overly optimistic to be able to build up to the half by may?

any advice from more seasoned runners?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,676 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Rachineire wrote: »

I have done several 10k's in the past but I am considering going for a half marathon. I'm training at the moment and can run 7k no issue. I'm running mainly to get back into shape but also i find it helps with mental health/energy.
    I have a 10k coming up in March and I usually do a 10k each May but I'm thinking of just trying for the half marathon. Not sure if I'm just being overly optimistic to be able to build up to the half by may?

I wouldn't be a seasoned runner, per se, and you could try the running forum for more seasoned advice but it's doable.

If you've run a few 10k races, then you can just increase the training runs bit by bit as part of your overall training.

Training for a marathon always includes a long slow run, amongst other training types of shorter distances at a higher pace.

Just look to increase the mileage bit by bit and get up above the 15km mark for a run by April and you'd be fine.

I'm not going to suggest that's in any way optimal - the running forum would get you better advice - but I ran my first marathon having run no more than 13/14 miles in 'training'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,671 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

If you've ran multiple 10k, a half by may would be a doddle. Hit the athletics forum for a advice.
    I'm sure you could download a 12 week half marathon plan easily enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,742 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Rachineire wrote: »

If you can do 10 you can do 20.

Advertisement