Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell Vostro desktop computer graphic card up-grade advice

Options
  • 28-11-2016 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi need some advice I have a Dell Vostro 230 slim case hard drive I had been running the ZWIFT beta training program on it when it was launched first the problem is I am having now is that ZWIFT requirements for their graphic has increased and my graphics card is no longer compatible.
    I am just wondering is there anyway of upgrading my Graphics card Ect.
    Spec of my computer:
    Model VOSTRO 230
    Intel core 2 duo e7500 2.93 ghz
    Ram 2 gig
    I have attached some photos of the hard drive to give an idea of the hardware running it.

your Advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

The text document you've posted suggests you have 4GB RAM and that ZWIFT found no problems ? Looking at the spec requirements for it I think you may need to consider retiring your 6 year old machine for something a bit more up-to-date ?

It's an old machine - circa 2010 - but it does have a PCIe 2.0 slot so in theory could take a dedicated graphics card which might help it run the game for you. You need something with at least 1GB of RAM.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

The age of your pc, suggests you could have a part failure at any time, eg hdd, psu motherboard etc. thus i couldn't recommend spending money upgrading a pc thats near end of life.

If its in your budget, the sensible recommendation is to replace at this time. you may be able to trade in or sell the working pc to offset the cost.

i can see the warranty started in april 2011 - so its 5.5 years old. If you can pick up a 2nd hand graphic card PCIe 2.0 cheaply it may be a way of getting by. But i wouldn't spend much on the card.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

he would need a low profile gfx card looking at the pictures

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

You don't have a graphics card in that machine, just integrated graphics. I don't agree that you shouldn't upgrade it - you could get a card for around €30 that would allow you to play the game. Just make sure it's low profile, something like a HD6450 can be had for €30 delivered, or a faster GT730 for around €50.

You seem to already have 4GB ram so that's fine.

If you're really bothered, you can upgrade that E7500 to something like an E8500 for literally around €10 which would be a nice boost also.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭shanye

thanks for you reply guys,Zwift came back to day to me there response was the same...
    this is the card we've been recommending (just make sure it'll work with your system): http://amzn.com/B00L5GZG5C
    It's a NVidia GT 730 with 2GB of RAM for $75.00

• Advertisement

It will be fine, just make sure it's a low profile model - and that it comes with low profile brackets, sometimes low profile cards only come with full height brackets! Whatever model is cheapest will be fine. A low profile Radeon R7 240 would be the AMD equivalent and is the same price really.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭shanye

Is this power supply OK for this upgrade to run the new graphics card.

shanye wrote: »
    Is this power supply OK for this upgrade to run the new graphics card.

yes, it is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,739 ✭✭✭Xterminator

Hi OP

I am not sure your pc is worth €75. And after spending that money on it its value will not increase by much. IMO you would be throwing away money to spend that much.

Looking at it from business perspective after 5 years the value of your pc has depreciated to scrap value. with the card it will still be scrap value. its not a wise investment.

however if circumstance does not allow you to replace it, then perhaps you could find a second hard graphic card that would meet your needs?

I don't think that's really a sound argument in this case - the outlay is €50 to get him exactly where he needs to be, I think the value of the PC is pretty much irrelevant.

Looking at it from a 'business perspective' is sort of odd - he's looking to play a single game that was running fine previously, not invest in the stock market - and one could argue that advising him to spend several hundred on a new PC when a €50 investment will see this one through another few years is actually poor advice, even from a 'business' perspective.

Notwithstanding the fact that if he was to get a new PC, he can just take the card out at that point.

The price of 2nd hand HD6450/GT730/R7 240 cards is almost the same 2nd hand as they are new, they don't lose much value.

• Advertisement
Advertisement