Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does Windows know my graphics card is there? (win 8.1)

Options
  • 28-11-2016 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭

I've an AMD Radeon graphics card in this laptop.....

radeon.png

So I was looking at my monitor properties and noticed that it uses the Intel adapter:

display.png

So, to see if Windows would use the graphics card instead I disabled this Intel HD adapter, however instead it changed down to using some sort of more basic driver adapter/driver instead......

basic.png

Question is, Why isn't windows using my graphics card?
    If it isn't is there any way I can force the it to do so?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

All modern laptops use switching technology for power saving, they only use the dedicated card when it is needed, eg. running games. You cannot force it to use the dedicated card all the time, but you can set profiles for specific games. It uses the integrated graphics when you're just on the desktop or watching movies, etc.

Advertisement