Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wheel opinions

Options
  • 28-11-2016 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭

Santa is bringing me (well I am asking) for a new wheelset-

Would people recommend light weight or aero. Thanks.

Currently on stock wheels - vision 30's so anything really will be an upgrade. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭Hmmzis

You forgot to mention what budget you have. There are wheelsets out there that cost more than a high end bike.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

also, what kind of cycling are you doing? leisure or racing? I wouldn't recommend aero wheels if you're going to be mostly leisure cycling, particularly if you're planning on doing a few hills.

Kysrium elites are a fantastic wheel. About 500 lids for the pair. As the previous poster said, it would help to know what kind of budget you have.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Whatwicklow

I'll be asking for the big budget ones but I'd imagine santa will insist on something c.5/6/€700 (good used set would be considered )

Not racing but fast club spins and mixed sportif's ..

In that budget the best options could be the afore mentioned Ksyrium Elites or a set of Shimano RS81 c35. I have the RS81 myself on the race bike and they're a great set, srtong, light and reliable. The Ksyrium Elites are pretty much the staple of upgrade wheels without looking at something well over a grand. Lots of people I know swear by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I'll be asking for the big budget ones but I'd imagine santa will insist on something c.5/6/€700 (good used set would be considered )

I'm a fan of these:

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/campagnolo-scirocco-35-road-wheelset-2017/rp-prod88905

• Advertisement

07Lapierre wrote: »

How do you find the reliability of them? Shimano or Campy freehub? I had issues with a set of these where the Shimano freehub would start shedding bearings after a couple months (I did use the set as my main training and commuting wheels). After the fourth set of freehub bearings gave up I just binned them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

I use them on my winter bike. I've had this set for about 6 months and very happy with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

bullet proof for what you want: http://jedi-sports.de/Wheelsets/Road/Mavic-Cosmic-Pro-Carbon-White-2017::7063.html

Sweet...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭benneca1

Get a custombuild cant beat them just pick best hub and rims you can afford. I had very bad experience with Mavic and a warranty issue id avoid them like plague unless dealing with bigger retailer who can absorb it. Mavic just wont play ball on warranties at lest in my case they didn&t

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

benneca1 wrote: »
    Get a custombuild cant beat them just pick best hub and rims you can afford. I had very bad experience with Mavic and a warranty issue id avoid them like plague unless dealing with bigger retailer who can absorb it. Mavic just wont play ball on warranties at lest in my case they didn&t
    very true. i got a nice set of carbon 50mm clinchers for 660 euro handbuilt by the spokesman in the UK.

50mm carbon clinchers at 660 sounds good. .

Thanks all, I better get this letter in the post or there will be nothing!

Advertisement