Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax free shopping

Options
  • 28-11-2016 8:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭

Can someone enlighten my brother in law out.

He purchased a bag in BT for his wife for christmas(he is a US citizen) bag was 540 and he looked up vat refund which was 18.70% which supposed comes in or around 100 euro rebate. But when girl in shop gave him vat refund receipt it was calculated at till which came to 70 euro...

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

VAT on a 540 handbag is 100

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

'Small handling fee'?
    HOW DOES IT WORK?

When shopping in Ireland non-EU residents are entitled to claim VAT back on items purchased which are brought home at the end of your visit. VAT in Ireland is 23% however the available VAT content for refund is 18.07% from which a small handling fee is deducted by the Refund Agency.
    Source: http://www.brownthomas.com/services/tax-free-shopping-in-ireland.html

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

I know I came up with 100 euro, small handling fee at 30 euro is not that small plus BT don't do it at source, Carrolls around corner from BT do it. Only cost 4 euro which is a small handling fee and brother in law got 66 euro back in cash once he filled out all forms.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,458 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

mad m wrote: »
    Can someone enlighten my brother in law out.

He purchased a bag in BT for his wife for christmas(he is a US citizen) bag was 540 and he looked up vat refund which was 18.70% which supposed comes in or around 100 euro rebate. But when girl in shop gave him vat refund receipt it was calculated at till which came to 70 euro...

what did it say on the vat refund receipt?

what did it say on the vat refund receipt?

From memory I did see 100 euro under price of bag, but vat rebate then after that was 70euro. Looks to me that BT took 30 euro for process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭Jude13

pay full price and submit your receipts at the airport when you leave.

Jude13 wrote: »
    pay full price and submit your receipts at the airport when you leave.

Yeah but till receipt said 70 euro rebate when it probably should of been 100 euro. Doing at airport he would of still got 70 euro but he would of got it credited to his bank account in 4-6 weeks. As I said Carrolls will do an instant rebate (cash) once you have passport and a non EU bank card. They will refund you up to 1000 euro and their maximum charge is 4.50 euro for the pleasure which I think is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,457 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

BT are the ultimate rip-off merchants. If that bag was Louis Vuitton, the shop assistant who sold it to your brother in law is on minimum wage.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

coylemj wrote: »
    BT are the ultimate rip-off merchants. If that bag was Louis Vuitton, the shop assistant who sold it to your brother in law is on minimum wage.
    In BT speak they would probably say he is amongst the highest paid staff in the country, meaningless but technically no lies told.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Having never been in a position to claim back vat in this manner, and at the risk of asking what may seem like a stupid question, but how have BT benefitted from this? Full price was paid to them, they gave you a re receipt and then you go somewhere else to reclaim the vat, how do BT make extra money over and above the purchase price?

• Advertisement

coylemj wrote: »

I think you would be lucky to get a name tag(Louis Vuitton) for what my brother in law paid for bag..:)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Less of the off-topic posts please. Rip-Off Ireland is over there if you would like to visit.

dudara

Advertisement