Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wiggo and Froomey blanked by BBC SPOTY

Options
  • 28-11-2016 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭

So, a bumper year for UK sport and a record number of 16 candidates for 'BBC Sports Personality of the Year' and there is no place for Tour winner Chris Froome or British cycling darling Bradley Wiggins!

Looks like Froome is paying the price for his link with Wiggins and Team Sky and the TUE furore. Whatever your personal views, he is a three time Tour champion and it's remarkable that he is not recognised by the Beeb and their selection panel. I can only assume the Sky/British Cycling scandal did no favours for him but he never really was on the 'inside' with British fans and pundits, was he? Plus, something as simple as the BBC not able to show any coverage of his race while they have all the Olympic, Euro 2016 and Wimbledon pictures at their command would help their decision. Yes, I think they're that petty.

Hilarious, how only this Summer the BBC and company were all over Sir Brad and bowing out with yet another gold medal. Many would have expected him to either win the award or be acknowledged in some way. It remains to be seen on the night if he is honoured in retirement, but like Froome, he appears to have been left out in the cold.

List.http://www.bbc.com/sport/sports-personality/38128821

Thoughts?

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Wiggins was never going to be on it (he was in a team of 4), and Froome failed to pick up gold in the Olympics. 4 cyclists amongst the 16, which is pretty good going. Think you're reading way too much into this.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,170 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Andy Murray a certainty to win it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Beasty wrote: »
    Think you're reading way too much into this.

Nope.

I find it fascinating that a Tour de France winner is not shortlisted but major golf and tennis grand glam winners are along with the expected Olympic winners. The number of cyclists on the list isn't relevant - anyway road is different to track.

Steve Redgrave sailed off into retirement with a SPOTY award in 2000. Its not unimaginable that the same story might have played out this year with Wiggins.

• Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

I thought they were lining up the posh and becks of cycling (laura trott and jason kenny) to give the award to jointly?

1bryan wrote: »
    I thought they were lining up the posh and becks of cycling (laura trott and jason kenny) to give the award to jointly?

Imagine if one of them did win and by some distance in the poll. That might make for an awkward household!

RTE's version might be more interesting if Conor McGregor is nominated. I think its open to viewers to vote. Would he get the nod.... would he bother turning up? The GAA and Rugby heads would be up in arms if one of theirs didn't win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 815 ✭✭✭1bryan

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Imagine if one of them did win and by some distance in the poll. That might make for an awkward household!

RTE's version might be more interesting if Conor McGregor is nominated. I think its open to viewers to vote. Would he get the nod.... would he bother turning up? The GAA and Rugby heads would be up in arms if one of theirs didn't win.

I reckon one of the soccer lads will get the Irish one. Seamus Coleman, maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

Froome is from the colonies so that's a no no. Wiggo only got his because it was before the whole anti-europe wave had gathered momentum.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Esroh

Andy Murray a certainty to win it again.

Nick Skelton was jumping when the Beeb used to do live coverage of the big shows so unlike our own showjumpers is still a household name.
    Both He and Big Star return from career thretening injuries to strike gold . Thats the sort of thing the Brits love. If the Horsey Set get a campaign going it might work

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Froome is from the colonies so that's a no no.

Yeah, and hasn't he only spent something like less than a month, collectively, in the UK.
    Esroh wrote: »
    Nick Skelton was jumping when the Beeb used to do live coverage of the big shows so unlike our own showjumpers is still a household name.
    Both He and Big Star return from career thretening injuries to strike gold . Thats the sort of thing the Brits love. If the Horsey Set get a campaign going it might work

Something like Giggs or when Phil Taylor managed to finish second one year!

I think the Brits have fully embraced Murray now and he can do no wrong. New record apparently if he wins number three.

Esroh wrote: »

I still think Murray will win it again,very high profile,on television most weeks since Wimbledon and now the no 1 player in the world.
    I just looked up all the winners over the years and David Broome is the only showjumper to win it back in 1960.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,376 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

velo.2010 wrote: »

Speaking of Conor Mcgregor, Michael Bisping deserved a nomination here IMO beats one of the greatest of all time, on short notice wins the UFC title the first Brit to do so and defends it selling out 2 arenas in the UK along the way.

Nichola Adams the sole representative for combat sports. Jade Jones, Anthony Joshua, Carl Frampton etc etc all ignored I know it's an ask to make the final 16 but when you see the likes of 2 horse riders who it's easy to say aren't the main competitor (the horse is :) ) in their sport and a golfer who masters win on the back of a Speith collapse aside had a mediocre second half to the year, you kinda have to shake your head.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

Its called personality of the year, I think that rules Froome out immediately as he has none, well not much, saying that I really like Froome and he's one of my firm favourites in the peleton.

It's got to be Brownlee after what he did for his brother. Triathletes FTW!

Nichola Adams the sole representative for combat sports. Jade Jones, Anthony Joshua, Carl Frampton etc etc all ignored I know it's an ask to make the final 16 but when you see the likes of 2 horse riders who it's easy to say aren't the main competitor (the horse is :) ) in their sport and a golfer who masters win on the back of a Speith collapse aside had a mediocre second half to the year, you kinda have to shake your head.

I do believe lack of footage rights (for boxing, motorsports etc) play a part in considerations especially when its a close choice between picking nominees.

You mention Bisping... Carl Fogarty was cruelly overlooked on a number of occasions back when the Brits weren't doing to well in as many sports.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Its called personality of the year, I think that rules Froome out immediately as he has none, well not much, saying that I really like Froome and he's one of my firm favourites in the peleton.

Should have ruled out Murray so. Twice

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,477 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

It's a public vote nowadays which is why some who may be considered "outsiders" have often done well. Last year Kevin Sinfield (I know who he is and what sport he plays even if you don't!) took second. It was an organised vote by fans of the relevant sport to give it a bit more profile, and similar things have happened in other years since it became a public vote.

And yes it's always been called "Sports Personality of the Year" but ultimately whatever anyone thinks of the "personality" in question, that has little relevance. It's down to who garners the votes, and I reckon Andy Murray will be a very strong favourite again this year (and indeed the cycling votes are likely to be split)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭68 lost souls

Ali or Moh I reckon will get it. People love Moh but the whole ?? Over his coach and training partner may through that out of the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Froome is from the colonies so that's a no no.

Really?

Linford Christie and Greg Rusedski have both won it

Really?

As have Mary Peters, Barry McGuigan and Tony McCoy

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,055 ✭✭✭✭neris

Froome is from the colonies so that's a no no. Wiggo only got his because it was before the whole anti-europe wave had gathered momentum.

and wiggos from belgium ;)

• Advertisement

Team Of The Year,Leicester City FC.

neris wrote: »
    and wiggos from belgium ;)

Read my post!!!

Really?

Ah yea but they ain't from the dark continent. It's different.

Advertisement