Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Answering competency based questions when you don't have direct experience?

Options
  • 28-11-2016 9:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭

I have an interview coming up for a position that would be a promotion from my current job. It is a competency based interview and going through the job spec, one if the competencies is ' demonstrates ability to effectively evaluate information and make appropriate decisions at operational and strategic levels'. In my current role i don't have involvement with strategic (as in 'higher level') decision making so how can i best demonstrate my abilities in this area if asked? Do i make reference to my knowledge of strategic policies and how they have influenced operational decisions or am i better to try & come up with an example or two?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Find some examples from outside work.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Find some examples from outside work.

Aghhh that would be a good idea but i'm not involved (past or present) with any clubs or groups that would give me scope to answer the question :(

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mel.b wrote: »
    Aghhh that would be a good idea but i'm not involved (past or present) with any clubs or groups that would give me scope to answer the question :(

Well you evaluated going for the promotion strategically to some xtent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

I should charge for this but anyway: demonstrate that you can think strategically at your current level. Show in some case histories how you solved issues at operational level which cohered with strategic goals of company and advanced the bigger picture in your team or department. You'd better know what you mean by the bigger picture. Lots of language has been debased in business speak: show them you are aware of the difference between the true strategic and the local "strategic". By demonstrating that you have delivered the local strategic you can invite them to conclude that you can scale up to the true strategic.

I'll PM my invoice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Fleawuss wrote: »
    I should charge for this but anyway: demonstrate that you can think strategically at your current level. Show in some case histories how you solved issues at operational level which cohered with strategic goals of company and advanced the bigger picture in your team or department. You'd better know what you mean by the bigger picture. Lots of language has been debased in business speak: show them you are aware of the difference between the true strategic and the local "strategic". By demonstrating that you have delivered the local strategic you can invite them to conclude that you can scale up to the true strategic.

I'll PM my invoice.

I'll gladly pay that invoice :p i know an example off the top of my head know but i was planning on using that example for another competency, so i'll have to get thinking of some other ones.

• Advertisement
Advertisement