Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When to start looking at child care?

Options
  • 28-11-2016 9:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭

Hi folks.

We are probably way too early but myself and Mrs STN are discussing child minding options.

She is due in April and all going well she will be taking 6 months + 4 unpaid so it will be around February 2018 that we will need it.

Just wondering, when did you start looking for child care?

We are hearing conflicting things like some people didn't do anything until the baba was a couple of months old while others were putting their names down in creches months before the birth, haven't a clue tbh!

We don't know what way we are going to go yet.

In an ideal world we would have a child minder that came to our house but of course, we don't live in an ideal world so we could end up having to go down the creche route. Personally I hate the thoughts of it but we may not have a choice.

Thoughts or experiences would be very much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Cakerbaker

I'd ask around and see if there are waiting lists for the crèches you'd be interested it. Ive a few friends who didn't get the crèches they wanted as they were booked up. They had contacted these crèches 6/7/8 months in advance in different cases. Some crèches look for a deposit, others don't so it'd be no harm to put baby's name down in any that don't require a deposit as a back up, particularly if you think you'll be going down the childminder route (I did this).

I went the childminder (in their home) route. I started looking 3 months before I went back. One disadvantage of this was a lot of childminders didn't want to commit to taking a child a few months down the line when they could potentially take one (and get paid) straight away. There were a few who didnt mind the wait but it did narrow my options. At the same time I found someone I'm really happy with!

I'd say the best thing to do is ask a few parents in your area who may know what the situation is like in your area and maybe start from there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭Dinkie

I would say, start looking around, and if you find one you like put their name down. It gives you a bit of time to find one you like. On the other side, if you find one you like, you can put your name down before it does fill up!!

We had our first child down for creche from when i was about 4 months pregnant. There was only 1 creche in town that opened early enough for us, so we had to get into it.

There is no queue at creche this time around so we haven't enrolled her yet.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I had childcare booked before maternity leave! but it was in the city centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,300 ✭✭✭Gatica

I would recommend to put the name down as soon as possible. we started looking when our baby was 5 weeks old. it was too late as there were many crèches that had long waiting lists.

Advertisement