Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS Bike Computer. Are maps important or useful?

Options
  • 28-11-2016 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,237 ✭✭✭

Buying a GPS Bike Computer but doubting between the polar v650 and m450.

I am leaning towards the m450 as it seems more compact but has no maps.

In reality.....are they useful? Do you all not know the routes fairly well by now? I cycle pretty much always the same ones.

Anyone wants to help me choose between these two polars? Just unsure the v650 is too big and toyish looking.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

If you cant see yourself ever needing maps then why pay money for something you don't need?

I have needed a map once in my time cycling and used Google maps to find where I was and where I needed to go.

Go for the M450.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭07Lapierre

Maps are handy if you cycle somewhere new. E.g. If you cycle outside of Ireland.
    I use all the time when cycling in Spain. Also you can download maps for free.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

I never needed maps on a bike computer. However having one that offers turn by turn breadcrumb navigation can help you preparing a new route at home and then loading it onto the device. Other than that, if lost use your phone :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

I never bothered with a bike GPS. Instead I use OsmAnd+ app with maps already downloaded. Good for satnav work as well as both displaying a track to follow and tracking your ride. It also has contours which I find to be a drawback on google maps etc. It doesn't do ride analysis, you would need to upload the track post-ride and analyse it elsewhere.

That said, I grew up using paper maps in my Scouting days and so I know how to use a map.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭triggermortis

I went through a load of hassle putting maps on my Garmin 800 and find it so hard to use that when I get lost (I've a terrible sense of direction) I find it easier to use my phone.
    When I moved back to ireland a few months ago, I changed my maps and have yet to use it. It was something I wanted when I bought the unit, but rarely use

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Rokta

I got myself the garmin edge 25 recently as I wanted something small and I love it. I has no Strava live segments but it still syncs with Strava. If I get lost I just use the mobile app to plot a route, sync it on the fly and I get turn by turn directions.

Advertisement