Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach’s Mayo village cycling club hits jackpot with Lottery grant

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

What are 'spinning mats' ? Are they essentially towels on the floor to catch sweat?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

buffalo wrote: »
    What are 'spinning mats' ? Are they essentially towels on the floor to catch sweat?

Nah, they are what gov't ministers have a go on before they go outside to do a press release.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Weepsie wrote: »
    You were in a clinical setting, monitored by clinical professionals. This is a private sports club which though open for membership, comes with a fee and then has added fees.
    I was told by my cardiologist as recently as last Tuesday to join a gym to build and maintain fitness levels by taking part in their classes. I had previously mentioned that I cycle and they suggested the spinning classes.
    They suggested the gym as I could be monitored whereas exercising on my own wouldn't do this.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Chuchote wrote: »
    If you think what taking all those 5km journeys in cars does to the population - obesity, diabetes, heart disease, strokes, hypertension, respiratory disorders, and the latest is heightened Alzheimer's risk - it's obvious we have to stop cars being the main mode of transport.

What move people onto trains, buses etc, that won't get people fit.  Not everyone wants to cycle, same way not every one wants to run or drive, so don't force stuff on people, government does that enough already.

Cycling or walking to work won't get people fit unless they adapt the life style to go with.

The most important part right now is to educate people about nutrition etc.  The rest will follow.

You can get a bus/car to work every day and still be very fit from activities afterwards.
    Cycling to work does not make you healthier,  just look at some of the people cycling home tonight.
    Just using public transport on its own is enough to show real health benefits over driving.

http://www.treehugger.com/health/3-surprising-health-benefits-linked-public-transportation.html

Getting more people cycling to work does make the population healthier. Like every health measure, it doesn't work for everybody, but as a whole, it does work.

kbannon wrote: »
    Weepsie wrote: »
    You were in a clinical setting, monitored by clinical professionals. This is a private sports club which though open for membership, comes with a fee and then has added fees.
    I was told by my cardiologist as recently as last Tuesday to join a gym to build and maintain fitness levels by taking part in their classes. I had previously mentioned that I cycle and they suggested the spinning classes.
    They suggested the gym as I could be monitored whereas exercising on my own wouldn't do this.
    I wonder if your cardiologist had considered the option of Strava type monitoring, which will create a pretty detailed log of activities, calories etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,851 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Who will monitored you?

Just using public transport on its own is enough to show real health benefits over driving.

http://www.treehugger.com/health/3-surprising-health-benefits-linked-public-transportation.html

Getting more people cycling to work does make the population healthier. Like every health measure, it doesn't work for everybody, but as a whole, it does work.

Only if they have a good diet, No point in cycling to work and then getting a muffin on way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Andy Magic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

Only if they have a good diet, No point in cycling to work and then getting a muffin on way!

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2014/07/30/bjsports-2013-093342.short?g=w_bjsm_ahead_tab

Health benefits of avoiding sedentary behavior independent of diet.

http://sigmanutrition.com/episode95/

Do yourself a favour and don't assume a less than lean cyclist isn't an animal; I've learned the hard way

Who will monitored you?

As I understand it, their logic was that in a gym, I can be assigned a programme to suit my needs, etc. This can be reviewed on an ongoing basis (any decent gym does this).
    I would also be in an environment whereby should something occur, there are others nearby who could help me. If I went out jogging or cycling on my own, I'd be screwed should something happen.

• Advertisement

ford2600 wrote: »
    http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/early/2014/07/30/bjsports-2013-093342.short?g=w_bjsm_ahead_tab

http://sigmanutrition.com/episode95/

Do yourself a favour and don't assume a less than lean cyclist isn't an animal; I've learned the hard way

Not assuming anything, also a heavy guy might be faster than you, doesn't mean he is fitter. Same applies the other way. Can have a lean guy on the bike all good but if diet is crap, there could be crap building on his arteries that you wouldn't know about!

As I understand it, their logic was that in a gym, I can be assigned a programme to suit my needs, etc. This can be reviewed on an ongoing basis (any decent gym does this).
    I would also be in an environment whereby should something occur, there are others nearby who could help me. If I went out jogging or cycling on my own, I'd be screwed should something happen.

It's along time since I did spinning, but didn't think spinning was an assigned program, instead it was a class where you work yourself to your limits.

You could run or cycle with a club instead.

It's along time since I did spinning, but didn't think spinning was an assigned program, instead it was a class where you work yourself to your limits.

You could run or cycle with a club instead.
    I didn't say spinning was a programme. However spinning classes could form part of a programme. Not that confusing really!
    I probably could run or cycle with a club. However, I'm posting what I was recently told to do by my cardiologist!

I didn't say spinning was a programme. However spinning classes could form part of a programme. Not that confusing really!
    I probably could run or cycle with a club. However, I'm posting what I was recently told to do by my cardiologist!

Nope fair enough, but do hold back in the spinning classes, its very easy to push too hard in it. Great exercise but a great adrenaline rush

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Cycling or walking to work won't get people fit unless they adapt the life style to go with.
    The most important part right now is to educate people about nutrition etc. The rest will follow.

In general, I'd be inclined to think that exercise is more important.
    If I went out jogging or cycling on my own, I'd be screwed should something happen.

Saw a piece yesterday where someone collapsed playing… tennis? squash? - and someone in the area used an app to show where the nearest defibrillator was and ran and got it and saved her life. Was somewhere like New Zealand, I think - struck me as a fantastic app-ortunity for someone.

In general, I'd be inclined to think that exercise is more important.

Saw a piece yesterday where someone collapsed playing… tennis? squash? - and someone in the area used an app to show where the nearest defibrillator was and ran and got it and saved her life. Was somewhere like New Zealand, I think - struck me as a fantastic app-ortunity for someone.

Most clubs in Ireland would have one, people should ensure they know where it is when they go to the club and also how to use it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Most clubs in Ireland would have one, people should ensure they know where it is when they go to the club and also how to use it.

No, this person went running to a nearby place, not the club - some other place where there was a defib. There seems to be a plan for such an app in Ireland by some crowd called Saoirse Technology but no app yet.

Here's the story from NZ http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/74271633/Phone-app-defibrillator-quick-thinking-saves-woman-in-cardiac-arrest
    The alarm was raised at the Stoke tennis courts on Wednesday when a woman in her 60s playing in a social tennis match went into cardiac arrest. As other players rushed to her aid, another rang for an ambulance and a club member ran to the nearby police station and three officers responded to her calls.

Nelson Bays Area Commander Inspector Mat Arnold-Kelly said the officers realised the woman was in need of urgent medical attention and started CPR.

"They used an app on their smartphones to locate the nearest defibrillator, which was at a local supermarket. Thankfully they were able to get the defibrillator and successfully re-started the woman's heart."

No, this person went running to a nearby place, not the club - some other place where there was a defib. There seems to be a plan for such an app in Ireland by some crowd called Saoirse Technology but no app yet.

Here's the story from NZ http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/74271633/Phone-app-defibrillator-quick-thinking-saves-woman-in-cardiac-arrest

Its a brilliant idea. The time you have to get it and use it is so important. We do a refresher course every year in work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,079 ✭✭✭buffalo

Of course there's a point - it's better than driving to work and getting a muffin on the way.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Of course there's a point - it's better than driving to work and getting a muffin on the way.

Mmmmm Muffins

• Advertisement

So is driving to work and not getting a muffin better than cycling to work and getting a muffin?:D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

remind me which option allows you to eat the muffin?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

The negative health effects of sitting are also independent of exercise, which is somewhat concerning.

It may be less healthy to cycle an hour each way to work at a desk than to drive to a job where you're on your feet all day.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,246 ✭✭✭Hungrycol

RayCun wrote: »
    reads like someone went in and added "and wider community" to every sentence :rolleyes:

But "club members AND the wider community" is not a specific client group.

long term goal of encouraging people to join our club. ffs

You're right. I reckon the real sentence actually stopped here:

405508.PNG

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Hungrycol wrote: »
    You're right. I reckon the real sentence actually stopped here:

405508.PNG

20k to a club with only 2 members ! Disgraceful

So is driving to work and not getting a muffin better than cycling to work and getting a muffin?:D
    It depends - how big is your muffin?

Lumen wrote: »
    The negative health effects of sitting are also independent of exercise, which is somewhat concerning.

It may be less healthy to cycle an hour each way to work at a desk than to drive to a job where you're on your feet all day.

Yeah if you listen to podcast they were able to identify in an office who was/wasn't lean on basis of how much they sit at work independent of everything else.

Chronic sitting is the new smoking

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Chronic sitting is the new smoking
    And smoking whilst sitting is the new shooting up whilst standing.

Don't ever shoot up whilst lying down. That's really unhealthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

This thread has lost its way. Maybe a gentle email reminder from the dept of an Taoiseach is in order here.

• Advertisement

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    This thread has lost its way. Maybe a gentle email reminder from the dept of an Taoiseach is in order here.

As long as you do it while standing, or maybe sitting on a bike?

In fairness what else was Simon Harris going to do when the boss emailed him twice?

He has never, at 30, had a job. TD by 24/25 and a councilor before that. He is now minister over a department in under whose control 100,000 people are employed. He didn't get there by not knowing how to play the game.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement