Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach’s Mayo village cycling club hits jackpot with Lottery grant

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

ford2600 wrote: »
    He has never, at 30, had a job. TD by 24/25 and a councilor before that. He is now minister over a department in under whose control 100,000 people are employed. He didn't get there by not knowing how to play the game.
    And in a nutshell, the real reason behind many of Irish Politics. Simon Harris has not had the life experience to relate to the people of Ireland, but then again, neither have most TDs.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

CramCycle wrote: »
    And in a nutshell, the real reason behind many of Irish Politics. Simon Harris has not had the life experience to relate to the people of Ireland, but then again, neither have most TDs.

I'd do it but it doesn't pay enough for the crap I'd have to listen to versus what I do now!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

broadsheet wrote:
    This weekend Ger Deere, the taoiseach’s assistant and a member of the club, said he had brought the application to Kenny’s attention.

What does he assist enda with? Soothing Saddle sores?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,084 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

And in a nutshell, the real reason behind many of Irish Politics.
    Relating to people is what happens during an election. Governance is mostly about ignoring people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

I have followed this story down several avenues, but for some reason, neither the media or other politicians seem keen to run with it. <SNIP> I was obviously naive in thinking more people might be bothered by it. From many of the comments on here, and elsewhere, there are plenty of people who either see nothing wrong, or are totally accepting of this kind of carry on.

I've done what I can to highlight this, and at this stage can't see any point in taking it any further. I eagerly await Islandeady's unveiling of their shiny new spin bikes (hopefully before the weather improves). If I'm ever over that way I might drop into Jacks' Cottage for a spin class ;-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,536 ✭✭✭✭ted1

• Registered Users Posts: 29,070 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

spyderski wrote: »
    I have followed this story down several avenues, but for some reason, neither the media or other politicians seem keen to run with it.
    I've had this experience too, on unrelated matters. Media interest isn't generally about whether something is right or ethical or not. It may be political reasons with a small p. It may be that they don't really want to go after EK now, though that might all change in a month or two.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

spyderski wrote: »
    From many of the comments on here, and elsewhere, there are plenty of people who either see nothing wrong, or are totally accepting of this kind of carry on

I don't think people are blind or even indifferent to political corruption so much as conditioned to accept it over the many decades of it being part of the status quo. Ireland is not alone here, in that for very many countries, electing a politician seems primarily about picking the least worst candidate from from a field of thugs, no-goods, wasters, opportunists and various other gombeen men and women. I'd never vote for Enda and crew if given a half decent alternative, but unfortunately that's a rather big if. I often think if we were to pick our politicians at random from the population much the same way we pick a jury, we get a much better bunch.

Be interested to hear if you make it down to the club and see what they actually got for their wider community for the rather generous grant provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,937 ✭✭✭PeadarCo

spyderski wrote:
    I have followed this story down several avenues, but for some reason, neither the media or other politicians seem keen to run with it. It is the most blatant (although relatively petty) form of corruption at the highest level of Government, but I was obviously naive in thinking more people might be bothered by it. From many of the comments on here, and elsewhere, there are plenty of people who either see nothing wrong, or are totally accepting of this kind of carry on.

Think its a lot more basic. Stuff like people on trollies in hospitals and the housing/homeless issues in Dublin are in the spotlight at the moment. The grant is only 20k and while dodgy there's plenty of other stuff that people care more about and which opposition TDs can hit the government over the head with at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Bandage

Greasing the wheels.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

I've had this experience too, on unrelated matters. Media interest isn't generally about whether something is right or ethical or not. It may be political reasons with a small p. It may be that they don't really want to go after EK now, though that might all change in a month or two.
    If you were an editor would you go with a story that has the potential to ruin someone's career even though doubts persist over whether it involved corruption or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

kbannon wrote: »
    If you were an editor would you go with a story that has the potential to ruin someone's career even though doubts persist over whether it involved corruption or not?

If I was an editor I probably wouldn't last long because when the people involved are the Taoiseach and the Minister for Health then yes I would. A well written article would not imply corruption in the slightest anyway, it's merely about presenting the information.

If I was an editor I probably wouldn't last long because when the people involved are the Taoiseach and the Minister for Health then yes I would. A well written article would not imply corruption in the slightest anyway, it's merely about presenting the information.

And a prosecutor does not try to convict but merely present the facts.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

eh - wait - people have had their careers ruined over corruption in ireland?

i've had too much beer.

eh - wait - people have had their careers ruined over corruption in ireland?

i've had too much beer.
    I've no idea whether there was or was not corruption here but if I was an editor I wouldn't risk the legal fallout were I wrong!

I've no idea whether there was or was not corruption here but if I was an editor I wouldn't risk the legal fallout were I wrong!

I'd say the law of tort would be on the newspapers side in this type of situation.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

smacl wrote: »

Be interested to hear if you make it down to the club and see what they actually got for their wider community for the rather generous grant provided.
    Given the interest generated in this story, here and elsewhere, I would be absolutely staggered if the listed equipment is not purchased

What starts to interest me now is whether it will be properly opened up to the wider community, but also whether anyone looks to make some personal profit out of this. I am hoping the latter point will not the case, and indeed that continuing the discussion here may well "encourage" those involved to ensure it is not the case. Yes cover some overheads with fees, but a 100 quid or more for running an hour or so long class would seem rather excessive to me.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

Beasty wrote: »
    Given the interest generated in this story, here and elsewhere, I would be absolutely staggered if the listed equipment is not purchased

You haven't lived here that long have you ;)

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Time will tell;);)

RobFowl wrote: »
    You haven't lived here that long have you ;)
    Time will tell;);)
    Is there no follow up auditing or time based criteria to the awards process?

• Advertisement

Is there no follow up auditing or time based criteria to the awards process?

Can't imagine they will follow up on everything. They may in this case precisely because of the publicity it's attracted. However I suspect there are one or two around here who may check it out anyway and the club really could not afford any further negative publicity (with the risk they could have to pay it all back should it not be spent on the equipment they detailed in their application).

• Registered Users Posts: 23 good work aint dear

it mightnt grate on peoples minds so much if the taoiseach wasnt so arrogant and up his own hole

it mightnt grate on peoples minds so much if the taoiseach wasnt so arrogant and up his own hole

TBF, that describes pretty much 100% of well known politicians. It they are not climbing up their own, they are climbing up someone elses, and occasionally you get a few who have been stuck up their own for so long that they have come out the other end and believe they are better than the other the ones because they are not technically up an arsehole anymore.

EK is no better or no worse than most life long TDs.

TBF, that describes pretty much 100% of well known politicians. It they are not climbing up their own, they are climbing up someone elses, and occasionally you get a few who have been stuck up their own for so long that they have come out the other end and believe they are better than the other the ones because they are not technically up an arsehole anymore.

EK is no better or no worse than most life long TDs.
    with all due respect enda is probably the worst so called leader we have ever had . everything the government touched under his watch turned into a complete fiasco . he hasnt been seen in months and everytime he speaks it has to be from a well rehearsed script or he ll make a balls of it . taxing people out of existance seems to be the only thing he can do well,without ever even thinking where and how badly our tax revenue is being spent by his amateur monkeys .
    i soppose its not his fault really sure aint the saying "teachers teach and doers do " and by god he aint no doer.

with all due respect enda is probably the worst so called leader we have ever had

As someone with no respect for the majority of previous leaders, I have to laugh. He is no worse than most of the rest of them, maybe slightly better than some, and worse than others.

I can only think of one I have a modicum of respect for and that was because he genuinely came across as being in it for the people, although that is probably what cost him the election, which in the eyes of many made him a fool, so the only one I have respect for is the only one most politicians think was a fool.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,599 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

with all due respect enda is probably the worst so called leader we have ever had
    how old are you?
    genuine question; much as i dislike enda kenny, he's not the worst we've seen.

with all due respect enda is probably the worst so called leader we have ever had . /quote]

stopped reading here. memory of a gnat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,520 ✭✭✭learn_more

with all due respect enda is probably the worst so called leader we have ever had . everything the government touched under his watch turned into a complete fiasco . he hasnt been seen in months and everytime he speaks it has to be from a well rehearsed script or he ll make a balls of it . taxing people out of existance seems to be the only thing he can do well,without ever even thinking where and how badly our tax revenue is being spent by his amateur monkeys .
    i soppose its not his fault really sure aint the saying "teachers teach and doers do " and by god he aint no doer.

With all due respect, I think you should respect the English language and it's pesky grammatical rules. If nothing else, it will help one to take your points of view more seriously. Not that that's possible.

how old are you?
    genuine question; much as i dislike enda kenny, he's not the worst we've seen.

For what it matters I'm 47 and long enough running my own business to know what's what . So right then what has he actually done that is so much better than anybody else . What real business has he brought to this country that wasn't here before . And what has he done to stop the wreckless spending and waste of our tax money . If you gave a child a fiver and he spent it all in the shop on stupid overpriced ****e in the shop and then decides he wants something different would you give him more money to waste ?? I don't think so.
    So why then do you think it's ok to tax the ****e out of us to cover up their mismanagement ..

• Advertisement

Ok then everyone seems to think enda is such a great leader , tell me a few things that he has done that is so brilliant..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement