Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taoiseach’s Mayo village cycling club hits jackpot with Lottery grant

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,430 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Ok then everyone seems to think enda is such a great leader , tell me a few things that he has done that is so brilliant..
    This is the Cycling forum. Please keep discussion to cycling and certainly not politics

Any questions PM me - do not respond to this warning in-thread

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

MOD VOICE: Keep it civil, hand bags down. Back on topic for everyone please. Some posts deleted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,368 ✭✭✭Chuchote

Apart from the fact of a local politician making representations - and one who is the country's leader, making it worse - this should be seen in the context of several creative applications for funding in Mayo (and I'm not using the word 'creative' sarcastically here, I mean it genuinely).

For example, a Men's Shed group (fighting against depression by getting men together - very important at a time when rural male suicide is a crisis - got €30,000. Here's a report (sorry if anyone's posted it already) on who got funds in Mayo:

http://www.con-telegraph.ie/news/roundup/articles/2016/11/21/4130444-mayo-groups-involved-in-health-promotion-get-170000/

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

"The announcement has been welcomed by An Taoiseach Enda Kenny"

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭spyderski

I see they still haven't bought the Spin Bikes. Indoor cycling season will be over soon. The €20,000 must be going to just "rest" in their account until next winter. Enda might be at a loose end by then, maybe he'll get some use out of them.!

https://www.facebook.com/islandeadycycling/photos/pcb.1427186460688275/1427186357354952/?type=3&theater

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

WTF, dude on a turbo with a woolly jumper and woolly hat!

It's a wesht of Ireland weight loss technique! In fairness, most of them seem well overdressed for a turbo session...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

smacl wrote: »
    WTF, dude on a turbo with a woolly jumper and woolly hat!

Obviously cold. I have to wear a fleece with hood in my garage until I'm warmed up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Obviously cold. I have to wear a fleece with hood in my garage until I'm warmed up.

Yeah, but they're supposed to be men and women of the Wesht.......mountainy folk of hardy stock.....

......guy wearing the geansai must be a Dub :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

spyderski wrote: »
    I see they still haven't bought the Spin Bikes. Indoor cycling season will be over soon. The €20,000 must be going to just "rest" in their account until next winter. Enda might be at a loose end by then, maybe he'll get some use out of them.!

I put in a successful application for 10k for watt bikes for my local tri club about 3 years ago. It was almost two years before we actually got our hands on them and the money certainly wasn't resting in our account all that time! You have to pay the first 10% yourself from your own funds and can only draw down the other 90% of the funds on the basis of an invoice from the supplier for the remainder....

• Advertisement

Not in this case. The money was transferred to their account by EFT in December - I got the details from the FOI request.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Not in this case. The money was transferred to their account by EFT in December - I got the details from the FOI request.

Interesting! Sounds like a much better deal altogether :)

Presumably your application was to the Sports Council, apparently the Department of Health administer their grants differently...

And presumably you're not friendly with the Taoiseach...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Jawgap wrote: »
    Yeah, but they're supposed to be men and women of the Wesht.......mountainy folk of hardy stock.....

......guy wearing the geansai must be a Dub :D

I'm from the mountains of the North West. Cold is cold.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'm from the mountains of the North West. Cold is cold.

Ah here, we're talking about a small room full of people on trainers. Main issue ought to be mopping the sweat off the floors, even if it is sub-zero outside.

Looks like tonight is the last night of their turbo sessions for the year. Still no sign of the spin bikes they were given €20,000 to buy. But then I didn't really expect any different...

https://www.facebook.com/islandeadycycling/photos/pcb.1466803553393232/1466803370059917/?type=3&theater

You know that you could comment on their facebook and just ask them?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

They deleted questions from other people who asked earlier.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Weepsie wrote: »
    They deleted questions from other people who asked earlier.

Nothing to see......;)

• Advertisement

are going to give me an honest answer on a FaceBook page?

Of course not, more just to increase pressure, as you would appear to be one of the view people acting on it, without pressure, they will get away with it, which I suspect they already have.

Agreed, I'm almost certainly wasting my time, but they seem immune to any pressure. Other than the statement from the PRO, they haven't made any comment or refuted anything written about them here or in the media. I assume they have been told to keep the heads down and it will go away. Enda made a fine political career out of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

CramCycle wrote: »
    Of course not, more just to increase pressure, as you would appear to be one of the view people acting on it, without pressure, they will get away with it, which I suspect they already have.

I see someone has posted up asking are these the bikes from the grant.....Wonder if they will reply :)

Not so far. But you can be damn sure they are keeping an eye on this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Crooked. I don't know how anyone can reasonably look at this and not take that the whole thing stinks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Haven't read the thread, but where do you guys think the money went? What about their own club members, are they not curious seeing as the money was supposed to be for turbos for them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

Pelvis wrote: »
    Haven't read the thread, but where do you guys think the money went? What about their own club members, are they not curious seeing as the money was supposed to be for turbos for them!

Their membership fees are probably fixed for a few years now so I'm sure their happy out laughing away.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

mugsymugsy wrote: »
    I see someone has posted up asking are these the bikes from the grant.....Wonder if they will reply :)

I don't see the comment at all anymore. Must have been removed

No idea where the money went. <SNIP>

Given the attention it got, I would have expected they would have gone & bought the spin bikes immediately to settle the matter, but they are apparently brazen enough that they don't even care about that.

There's a time limit (I think 12 months) prescribed by the Dept. within which the funds must be spent for the purposes given. I will certainly be holding them to it - I won't be letting this one go.

• Advertisement

Weepsie wrote: »
    I don't see the comment at all anymore. Must have been removed

No, it's still there as of 9.49am

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement