Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Health Insurance Question

• 28-11-2016 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

This is probably a ridiculous question, I'm getting health insurance for the first time and fairly confused by the everyday medical expenses. What does it mean if it says something like "Up to €40 per visit" what exactly does that mean?

Do they only cover that amount or would the most I have to pay towards it be that?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭Tow

It means:
    If your Dr. charges you €60 they will pay you €40, so the visit costs you €20.
    €20 is then the maximum you will be able to claim tax relief back from Revenue, so revenue will only refund you €4.
    Cost of visit to the Dr. = €16.

I had this for years, but to be honest unless you are regularly going to the doctor etc, it may not be worth the extra cost.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Why can't you claim the full amount back on med 1? You paid 60 to start with. You just happen to have paid 1000 at least for a policy that gives you a benefit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭Tow

You already got tax relief on the cost of the medical insurance.

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,813 ✭✭✭peteb2

Tow wrote: »
    You already got tax relief on the cost of the medical insurance.

And then paid a bleeding levy!:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

peteb2 wrote: »
    Why can't you claim the full amount back on med 1? You paid 60 to start with. You just happen to have paid 1000 at least for a policy that gives you a benefit.

Because of the €60 you paid out, you got €40 back from the insurance company so you're only €20 out of pocket.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,809 ✭✭✭antoinolachtnai

exaisle wrote: »
    Because of the €60 you paid out, you got €40 back from the insurance company so you're only €20 out of pocket.

Insurance for doctors visits is not by and large good value. You are better getting a basic package with large excesses and having a fund to meet this type of expenses.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Lorr

I'm not too bothered about GP costs but would like something that helps with consultants (just in case).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,476 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Lorr wrote: »
    I'm not too bothered about GP costs but would like something that helps with consultants (just in case).

That will be documented separately in the list of benefits. You mentioned €40 per visit which I suspect is for visits to the GP and/or dentist, you should expect to get 'up to' about €80-100 per consultant visit under that type of scheme.

Advertisement