If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking about upgrading my 8yr old Pioneer AVR to...

Options
  • 29-11-2016 12:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I've been giving some thought to upgrading my AVR, which I originally purchased off you guys back in early 2009! It's a Pioneer VSX-1018AH which has never given me a second's bother but for a few reasons it's starting to feel a little out-dated:
    1. Lack of HDMI inputs - it only has 2 inputs
    2. No 4K or even 4K passthrough. 
    3. None of the fancy wireless / wifi / airplay features that the new amps have

The lack of inputs is the main bugbear. I'd put up with the lack of 4K as I really haven't taken much advantage of 4K content yet - BUT I just recently purchased an Amazon Fire TV, which is 4k, and to get the 4K video I have to connect it directly to the TV. It'd be brilliant if I could connect it to the AVR and just have the single HDMI going to the TV. Even for regular Sky HD, I have to have the Hdmi going to the TV and a separate optical going to the Amp - again because I lack enough hdmi inputs to ditch the optical cables.

I also upgraded my speaker package with you guys last January to the Monitor Audio MASS 5.1 set. I've been very happy with these apart from one annoying issue... when watching regular TV, I find that the Sub seems to cut in and out, it is very noticeable at times, as you'll feel the "bassy" deep sound one second and then inexplicably the sound goes a bit tinny, as if the sub isn't getting the low freq signal (I'm probably not explaining this very well!). I've tried all sorts of settings on the AVR and the sub to fix this but it still persists... and I'm wondering out loud if a new more modern AVR would fix this issue...

Now, to the replacement. I'm kinda taken by the Denon X2300W you have. I love the fact its got 8 (!!) hdmi inputs, 4k, etc, etc. My question is, is it comparable (roughly) with my old Pioneer in terms of sound, build quality, etc? I vaguely recall that my Pioneer was originally pitched as a top-end receiver (say in the 6-700+ euro price bracket today). I got it as a run out model, so I didn't pay that for it but I'm wondering would the Denon 2300 be comparable, would it be even better, considering it's 8 years newer? Or should I save a few more pennies and look at the X3300W? What does that model have to justify the extra cost? It's going into a medium sized living room after all, I'm not looking to fill a stadium with sound but after spending 500+, I'd want it to be at least as good as the Pioneer - and hopefully noticeably better!

Also, one final question... do the new Amp's run hot / generate a lot of heat? The Pioneer is good in that regard, it only gets a little warm and it's in an closed cabinet.

Thanks in advance guys...
    Joe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Little bump ;) I know ye are busy guys but if you have a minute I'd appreciate some advice on above :)

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

JoeA3 wrote: »
    Little bump ;) I know ye are busy guys but if you have a minute I'd appreciate some advice on above :)
    Hey JoeA3.

The AVRX2300 has been by far our best seller. 5 star reviewed in What HiFi and really really sounds the part.

Currently priced at £399 but I think this will start to increase again now Black Friday deals are coming to an end.

The Bigger brother the 3300 currently priced at £619.00
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-202199-avrx3300w.aspx

The 3300 gives more power over the 2300 and has several extra inputs, along with a few other features.

Both are very very good indeed.

We run the 2300 along with the Mass speakers in our demo room and have also used it to drive the Monitor Audio Silver 10 which it did with no problems.

Hey JoeA3.

The AVRX2300 has been by far our best seller. 5 star reviewed in What HiFi and really really sounds the part.

Currently priced at £399 but I think this will start to increase again now Black Friday deals are coming to an end.

The 3300 gives more power over the 2300 and has several extra inputs, along with a few other features.

We run the 2300 along with the Mass speakers in our demo room and have also used it to drive the Monitor Audio Silver 10 which it did with no problems.

Thanks for the reply Kenny. Just to go back to my original question I posed - in your opinion, are the modern amp's a significant leap ahead over my 8 year old Pioneer? Obviously in terms of connectivity and features they clearly are, but in terms of sound quality, am I really likely to notice a difference?

I see on the website that the 2300 has gone up a bit again to 529 euro :( Is there any chance you'll do it now for the price it was a couple of days ago - when I originally posted this query!! I'm very tempted to go with it now if it were that price and I've been a good customer ;) I have a feeling (and please correct me if you think I'm wrong) that the 2300 would be more than adequate for my needs. It's a relatively small living room. I'm not so sure I'd hear the benefit of the extra power in the 3300 and as for extra inputs - the only ones that really interest me are the HDMI inputs and the 2300 has 8 of those - loads!

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hey JoeA3.

Thanks for the reply Kenny. Just to go back to my original question I posed - in your opinion, are the modern amp's a significant leap ahead over my 8 year old Pioneer? Obviously in terms of connectivity and features they clearly are, but in terms of sound quality, am I really likely to notice a difference?

I see on the website that the 2300 has gone up a bit again to 529 euro :( Is there any chance you'll do it now for the price it was a couple of days ago - when I originally posted this query!! I'm very tempted to go with it now if it were that price and I've been a good customer ;) I have a feeling (and please correct me if you think I'm wrong) that the 2300 would be more than adequate for my needs. It's a relatively small living room. I'm not so sure I'd hear the benefit of the extra power in the 3300 and as for extra inputs - the only ones that really interest me are the HDMI inputs and the 2300 has 8 of those - loads!
    Hey JoeA3.

The AVRX2300 has gone back to the £399 or 499.99 euro price that it was before.

It would be a massive upgrade over your 8 year pioneer. The 2300 has sold hundreds and hundreds through our store and has had fantastic reviews in What HiFi at 5 stars.

If you are still interested drop me a PM with some details.

Hey JoeA3.

Hey JoeA3.

It would be a massive upgrade over your 8 year pioneer. The 2300 has sold hundreds and hundreds through our store and has had fantastic reviews in What HiFi at 5 stars.

lol - I already bought it off you 2 weeks ago Kenny! And yes, you're right, it's a big upgrade, I am absolutely delighted with it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 guzzler2

Hey JoeA3.

Hey JoeA3.

lol - I already bought it off you 2 weeks ago Kenny! And yes, you're right, it's a big upgrade, I am absolutely delighted with it!!
    Hi

Just jumping on this as it appears to be in the area I am looking. Like Joe I want to replace my Panasonic from 2007 as I upgraded tv with yerselves to a samsung smart tv in summer. I want to keep my built in speakers and this denon allows that plus all the hdmi connections is the bonus. 
    However, am I right there is no dvd player in it what would you propose (cheap cheap and good returning customer and all that) to go with the Denon

Thanks
    Guzzler2

• Company Representative Posts: 9,463 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: John

guzzler2 wrote: »
    Hey JoeA3.

Hey JoeA3.

Hi

Just jumping on this as it appears to be in the area I am looking. Like Joe I want to replace my Panasonic from 2007 as I upgraded tv with yerselves to a samsung smart tv in summer. I want to keep my built in speakers and this denon allows that plus all the hdmi connections is the bonus. 
    However, am I right there is no dvd player in it what would you propose (cheap cheap and good returning customer and all that) to go with the Denon

Thanks
    Guzzler2
    @ Joe A3 - thanks a mill :D

@ Guzzler,

there is no DVD player included with the Denon AVRX2300 ( or any of our other dedicated AV receivers) - generally at this stage we would recommend that if you were going to purchase an AVRX2300 that you would at least grab a Blu-Ray or a 4K player to go with it - However here are a few options for you:

1:
    Sony DVRSR170 ( Standard DVD Player) £29.95
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-201117-dvpsr760.aspx

2:
    Sony BDPS7200 ( Excellent quality Blu-Ray) £139.00
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-200772-bdps7200.aspx

3:
    Panasonic DMPUB700 ( Ultra HD 4K Blu-Ray) £349
    https://www.richersounds.ie/p-202330-dmpub700.aspx

Thanks again and keep us posted if we can assist,

ATVB,

John Mc & Crew

John McDonald / Managing Director / Richer Sounds Ireland / www.richersounds.ie / johnmc@richersounds.ie

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.