Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boots Foundation colour matching

Options
  • 29-11-2016 12:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭

Hi folks,
    Just wondering has anyone used the Boots No 7 foundation matching service? I'm in my mid-thirties but a makeup idiot. Due to my tremendous fear of looking orange I've always avoided the girls on makeup counters (specially in BTs) but I think I'm finally ready to admit I need help. For some reason Boots feels like it might be slightly less intimidating. Anyone have any opinions on it?
    Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Blackangel

I have used it and found it quite good, I would get colour matched and then get a sample of the colour they recommend so you can try it out at home and see how it wears and if it suits your skin. Any of the counters in bts will do this too so if you're worried about coming out orange you at least have the opportunity to try before you purchase! I always try before investing in a more expensive foundation.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,181 ✭✭✭dee_mc

I used the Boots colour match service and I wasn't happy with the result - firstly the colour matcher thingy recommended a shade that was too light and the wrong tone; the assistant said 'oh that happens, it's not very accurate' and recommended one that was too dark and again the wrong tone. I didn't buy foundation because it looked wrong even under the store lights. I felt I'd've done a better job myself swatching on my fingertips.
    Anyway being a bit of an eejit I went back some time later (different store) and let the assistant talk me into buying the shade suggested by the thingy; she applied it for me, told me I looked great, gave me a quick glance in the mirror and sort of strong-armed me into buying it... first person I met on leaving the store asked me whether I was feeling well as I was looking a bit peaky :D
    Anyway to make an unnecessarily long story short, I was telling another Boots assistant my woes a few months back and she said Boots have a policy of taking back a foundation and exchanging it for a more appropriate shade if this scenario happens. I haven't tested it, but that's what one of the girls who works on one of their higher end makeup counters told me.
    In terms of accurate colour matching almost at a glance, I can't fault the girls at the Estee Lauder counter in Brown Thomas Limerick - accurate, friendly, efficient and not one bit intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I did the colour match in Boots and to be honest was not impressed with what was selected. The foundations looked fine in the shop lights. Thankfully I asked for a sample to try at home. I put it on and it was the wrong shade and tone. I am very pale and it looked very pink/orange much too warm for my skin tone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭Parchment

I tried it and found it recommended some lipsticks that really suited me.

I think many people here think it picked something too light but they match it near the neck/jawline as that's your skins actual colour , you may just not be used to it as you wear a dark foundation.

I have my holy grail foundation but I found it great for lipstick suggestions.

Parchment wrote: »
    I tried it and found it recommended some lipsticks that really suited me.

I think many people here think it picked something too light but they match it near the neck/jawline as that's your skins actual colour , you may just not be used to it as you wear a dark foundation.

I have my holy grail foundation but I found it great for lipstick suggestions.

I get your point but that's not the case for me - I wear foundation that matches my skin exactly. The pale one that was chosen for me looked ashy - it was both the wrong intensity and the wrong tone, if that makes sense!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

Right. I might try it, get a sample and see how it looks. (My problem is I have no idea what tone and/or shade I am so they could fob anything off on me!) And then after that I might find the least scary counter in Brown Thomas in Cork and see what they recommend and then make a decision.
    Thanks for all the advice people. :-)

m*pp*t wrote: »
    Right. I might try it, get a sample and see how it looks. (My problem is I have no idea what tone and/or shade I am so they could fob anything off on me!) And then after that I might find the least scary counter in Brown Thomas in Cork and see what they recommend and then make a decision.

The Clarins, YSL, Estee and Chanel girls in Cork BT are fab.
    Wherever you go for your consultation, bring a pocket mirror and go outside to have a gawk at your face before you commit either way - ideally wait a couple of hours before deciding whether to buy especially if you're concerned about orange tones, because some foundations oxidise, meaning they might look grand straight after application but then change after a while on your face.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

m*pp*t wrote: »

I found the staff in the Lancome counter in BTs Cork very good. If you can try and pop in during the week as it is normally quieter than the weekend. They really spend time with you finding the right match.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭LinF

I have an olive complexion and when we returned to the UK in 1989 from our contract in Saudi Arabia I realised that when I started my job in the City I needed to look "corporate" and this meant finding the right foundation etc. I have NEVER been able to find a foundation that actually matches my skin tone until the lady in Boots, Hereford, held a gizmo to my jawline outside the shop, i.e. in daylight. She gave me 2 samples to try and I chose a shade called #7 Foundation Match Made Service - Warm Sand & during the winter I change this to Wheat. Still using them today.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

I thought the same about make up counters and looking orange but I went to Mac a couple of years ago and the girl there (orange as they come!) found me a foundation that works perfectly with my pale skin.

I think the most important thing is to try a few and get samples. The lighting in these shops is rarely good enough to see the true colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,405 ✭✭✭Airyfairy12

If I were you id go into boots and ask if you can try some testers. Foundation should match your neck so you should test the foundation around your jaw, this part of your face is usually the closest to the colour of the neck ie its less likely to have redness/unevenness compared to your cheeks ect. If the foundation disappears into your skin then its the correct shade for you, you really shouldn't be able to see it when you swatch it on your skin but to get an exact match will probably require mixing different shades so its easier to just buy which ever one is the closest match for you rather than buying two shades, Generally if youre unsure about which shade to buy you should go with the lightest one as it can always be warmed up with blusher, bronzer or contour. Also if youre not sure about a shade try to go for the most neutral shade rather than a shade thats too pink or too yellow but generally I think yellow toned foundation gives a softer appearance and are good for counteracting any redness and pink tones in the skin.

I personally dont trust boots/chemists employees to choose my foundation, I think youre better off colour matching yourself because you know your own skin and your own makeup routine so you probably have an idea of what shades to use or what colours suit you best, once you play around with some testers you'll find something you like.
    I feel like allot of these trained makeup artists seem to do the exact same makeup on themselves and every client, it usually consists of foundation that's too dark for them, harsh contour, loads of different shades of eyeshadow, over drawn lips, overdrawn eyebrows and big fake lashes.. each to their own and some people love that look but its not me, I just feel youre better off trusting yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 455 ✭✭LilRedDorcha

I found the boots one to be fantastic. Initially, the wrong tone was recommended for me. I had come in from the cold so the machine picked up a bit of pink, whereas I'd be more olive toned. As soon as the lady started to apply it, she realised it and tried again with the machine held to my neck. I've been using it the last number of years and it's perfect. Once you have the right shade, you can see what lipstick and blush suits. I was awful with makeup before then but I've found it really helpful so I'm slowly getting there now.

Advertisement