Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why does the time on my taskbar, keep changing?

Options
  • 29-11-2016 12:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Can anyone help me on this, as it's a bit of a nuisance, as the time on the taskbar keep changing & it's in the corner of my eye & while you maybe lazy in not looking a t your watch instead!

This is how i try & change it:

R/click on taskbar & click on adjust date & time ->

Click on Internet time & change settings - >

click on update now

But i've had to do it a few times today & other days too.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭FortySeven

Hi,

Can anyone help me on this, as it's a bit of a nuisance, as the time on the taskbar keep changing & it's in the corner of my eye & while you maybe lazy in not looking a t your watch instead!

This is how i try & change it:

R/click on taskbar & click on adjust date & time ->

Click on Internet time & change settings - >

click on update now

But i've had to do it a few times today & other days too.

Cmos battery on motherboard needs replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Absoluvely

Worry not, my dear Patty, for the changing of the digits on the clock on your taskbar is nought but a natural manifestation of the phenomenon of the passage of time. However, according to the growing block universe theory of time, the passage of time itself is a mere illusion and time on your taskbar clock remains the same, which apparently is what you seek.

Get a new CMOS battery anyway though, just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Patty O Furniture

Absoluvely wrote: »
    Worry not, my dear Patty, for the changing of the digits on the clock on your taskbar is nought but a natural manifestation of the phenomenon of the passage of time. However, according to the growing block universe theory of time, the passage of time itself is a mere illusion and time on your taskbar clock remains the same, which apparently is what you seek.

Get a new CMOS battery anyway though, just in case.

I got lost in time myself reading that insightful but delightful passage,

But before i forget, what's a CMOS battery & can i install it myself :P

I got lost in time myself reading that insightful but delightful passage,

But before i forget, what's a CMOS battery & can i install it myself :P

Cmos battery provides power to the bios chip so the time and date keep ticking over when the pc is off. In a desktop it is usually a cr2302 button battery. About 3 times the size of a watch battery. Easily changed on most desktops. Most are mounted in a holder and just pop out and another in. Some are encased in a plastic sleeve and have two wires running to a plug . You just find a replacement the same (ebay your pc model and cmos battery) and swap them out.

Laptops can be a bit harder to get access, some will be behind a panel, others require extensive stripping.

After changing the battery you need to reset date and time in the bios. Go into setup (f2 at startup usually) and set date and time in there.

Jobs a good'n.

What is it in?

FortySeven wrote: »
    Cmos battery provides power to the bios chip so the time and date keep ticking over when the pc is off. In a desktop it is usually a cr2302 button battery. About 3 times the size of a watch battery. Easily changed on most desktops. Most are mounted in a holder and just pop out and another in. Some are encased in a plastic sleeve and have two wires running to a plug . You just find a replacement the same (ebay your pc model and cmos battery) and swap them out.

Laptops can be a bit harder to get access, some will be behind a panel, others require extensive stripping.

After changing the battery you need to reset date and time in the bios. Go into setup (f2 at startup usually) and set date and time in there.

Jobs a good'n.

What is it in?

It's in a HP laptop, i'm familiar with the CR 2032 batteries, i use one in my soundbar remote.

• Advertisement

It's in a HP laptop, i'm familiar with the CR 2032 batteries, i use one in my soundbar remote.

Model number? It should be on the back sticker.

FortySeven wrote: »
    Model number? It should be on the back sticker.

Just got around to looking at it, HP G700 it appears to be, as it's just enough to make it out,

Just got around to looking at it, HP G700 it appears to be, as it's just enough to make it out,

Possibly a g7000?

If so then the cmos battery is in a sleeve with a short cable and a 2 pin plug.

If you open the ram cover on the back and remove the ram and wireless card it should be under there. Just remove the old and plug in the new. You can get one on eBay for 2 quid or there abouts.

Ever been inside a laptop? If not I can talk it through, easy enough.

Advertisement