Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

kerryjack wrote: »
    Not in AA
    Not in favour of MUP
    It's the doctors and paramedics that's lobbying for this as the see the cahos on a nightly basis, people should be left to Drink themselves to death if they wish but please do it quietly and stay out of hospital and leave hospitals for sick people, That's all I am saying.

Then that supports our stance that MUP is nonsense and taxation is a better approach.

I'm sure there are few stats on it but from what I have seen most drink related late night A&E cases are people on a night in the pubs.

So surely doctors lobbied to kill off the pubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Then that supports our stance that MUP is nonsense and taxation is a better approach.

I'm sure there are few stats on it but from what I have seen most drink related late night A&E cases are people on a night in the pubs.

So surely doctors lobbied to kill off the pubs?
    I do laugh at the publicans association talking about the safe drinking environment that's in a pub and not in a home in all my years out and about I rarely saw anyone refused a drink and they would be mouldy drunk, many a sunday I spent on the beer in the local village and you wouldn't even get a sandwich. I would like to know the stats on the amount of people that end up in A&E after a house party or a night out in pub or night club, if the government was serious about this they should make all pubs do some food and and have some bit of grazing while your having a few pints.

I do laugh at the publicans association talking about the safe drinking environment that's in a pub and not in a home in all my years out and about I rarely saw anyone refused a drink and they would be mouldy drunk, many a sunday I spent on the beer in the local village and you wouldn't even get a sandwich. I would like to know the stats on the amount of people that end up in A&E after a house party or a night out in pub or night club, if the government was serious about this they should make all pubs do some food and and have some bit of grazing while your having a few pints.

They did that with the 9 euro meal during this pandemic. Everyone seemed to miss the point and just complained about it.

Years ago nightclubs had to serve food.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

They did that with the 9 euro meal during this pandemic. Everyone seemed to miss the point and just complained about it.

Years ago nightclubs had to serve food.

The difference was people had no choice but to have this meal if they wanted to enjoy a pint or not..... as for those nightclub meals I remember them well, most of those "feeds" ended up on the pavement or the toilet floor if the unlucky client made it that far

The difference was people had no choice but to have this meal if they wanted to enjoy a pint or not..... as for those nightclub meals I remember them well, most of those "feeds" ended up on the pavement or the toilet floor if the unlucky client made it that far

Indeed neither seemed to be a great success or a big winner with the general public.

Kerry man indicated drink should be served with food. I was merely saying this had been tried.

Indeed neither seemed to be a great success or a big winner with the general public.

Kerry man indicated drink should be served with food. I was merely saying this had been tried.

I like the option of snacks myself, like they'd have in dutch bars or many german neighbourhood bars, nothing big with all the hoo-ha, just a snack if one feels hungry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I like the option of snacks myself, like they'd have in dutch bars or many german neighbourhood bars, nothing big with all the hoo-ha, just a snack if one feels hungry

Pizza slices would hit the spot!

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Remember them night club dinners they were slop. The powers that be want to change our drink culture and all they can come up with is adding a few cent on to the price of a cheap can of beer, If you went to the continent Spain, France or Italy you would all ways be able to get some bit of nibbles with your drink and sometimes free all you get in this country is a grunt, most publication, I know are lazy and slow to make changes and make little effort to get you in the door and keep you there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Remember them night club dinners they were slop. The powers that be want to change our drink culture and all they can come up with is adding a few cent on to the price of a cheap can of beer, If you went to the continent Spain, France or Italy you would all ways be able to get some bit of nibbles with your drink and sometimes free all you get in this country is a grunt, most publication, I know are lazy and slow to make changes and make little effort to get you in the door and keep you there.

Hollywood Nights in stillorgan used to do a savage chicken curry back in the day.

My uncle ran a pub in Cork years ago. He used to provide sandwiches and cocktail sausages for free around 10pm. He said to me the reason he did it was the chances of there being trouble reduced significantly when people were fed. What he was providing cost him only a couple of euros but it was well worth it.

Providing a snack or nibbles when serving alcohol is the norm all over the world. Here, some places the best you can get is a bag of crisps. Not much soakage in crisps.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

My uncle ran a pub in Cork years ago. He used to provide sandwiches and cocktail sausages for free around 10pm. He said to me the reason he did it was the chances of there being trouble reduced significantly when people were fed. What he was providing cost him only a couple of euros but it was well worth it.

Providing a snack or nibbles when serving alcohol is the norm all over the world. Here, some places the best you can get is a bag of crisps. Not much soakage in crisps.

Most bars dont have trouble. That tends to occur around late bars and bars catering to young people which have a night club vibe and they are not places where food is expected.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Aldi Italy have a 1L bottle of 96% Alcohol for €13.79

76.8 Irish units representing a saving of €63 per bottle compared to MUP.

You are allowed 10L of spirits if travelling in the EU.

Most bars dont have trouble. That tends to occur around late bars and bars catering to young people which have a night club vibe and they are not places where food is expected.

Congratulations on completely missing the point.

I went home for christmas one year from the Czech Republic and in my suitcase I brought 5 litres of wine from Lidl. Each litre carton cost 1 euro. I let my family test it, at the time they all worked in the drinks trade(making, not selling) and everyone agreed it was very nice. And that was the wine we drank all over christmas.

5 litres for less than the price of one bottle here.

I was in spain years ago and we were told not to drink the tap water. We compared the prices in the supermarket and litre to litre the brandy was cheaper than the bottled water.

Fella I know was drinking that with tonic when he was about 19,
    Every time he went to the jax his "mates" would pour more into his glass.
    Of course he ended up absolutely paracletic and passed out.
    Next day his vision was blurry and he ended up having to get glasses .

Fella I know was drinking that with tonic when he was about 19,
    Every time he went to the jax his "mates" would pour more into his glass.
    Of course he ended up absolutely paracletic and passed out.
    Next day his vision was blurry and he ended up having to get glasses .

*May or may not be a true story.

*May or may not be a true story.

Yea I made up that drinking 96% alcohol can make you blind.

You didn't say he went blind, you said he needed to get glasses.

Excessive alcohol consumption can damage the optic nerve causing blindness, thats a well established fact. It does not trigger short-sightedness.

Yea.
    Now that you say it ,
    Must have been coincidence.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Methanol can do that. Pro tip : Don't drink methylated spirits or turps. Higher alcohols give you bad hangovers, toxic too.

You don't drink 96% alcohol. Dentists us it to kill nerve endings. You use it to top up other drinks like punch. Or dilute to 75% and then you can use it to fuel a V2 rocket.

• Advertisement

Todays Tuam Herald..... Another lad in favour of more expensive drink

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,564 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

What a tosser

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

The bottled water guff raises its head again. Either these people need to stop buying such expensive water or tell the rest of us where they're buying their beer.

Thankfully no-one reads the Tuam Herald

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,363 ✭✭✭Frank Grimes

The bottled water guff raises its head again. Either these people need to stop buying such expensive water or tell the rest of us where they're buying their beer.
    They clearly need to cut back on their Iceberg Water consumption.

Thankfully no-one reads the Tuam Herald

Not true its very well read locally

• Advertisement

Blind drunk comes from methanol in drink not ethanol.

Maybe he fell and damaged himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Blind drunk comes from methanol in drink not ethanol.

Maybe he fell and damaged himself.

Probably got some in his eye
    Or was drinking poorly distilled spirits (hence the methanol)

Definitely wasnt lidl's 97% stuff anyways

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

First, I would love to see where the bottled water is being sold more expensively.
    Second, the issue should be with the price of bottled water, not anything else. Water is free the world over, or should be. Without getting that argument going, if it is more expensive than anything else man made, then the issue should be with the water bottling company.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,295 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Suckit wrote: »
    First, I would love to see where the bottled water is being sold more expensively.
    Second, the issue should be with the price of bottled water, not anything else. Water is free the world over, or should be. Without getting that argument going, if it is more expensive than anything else man made, then the issue should be with the water bottling company.

It is an argument of fools. The only question is whether it is a fool making it, or someone trying to fool the gullible.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

In the USA you can get something called Everclear, which in its strongest version is 95% ABV (190 proof). People do buy that and drink it, without dying, and there are even cocktail recipes on the website. It comes in 750ml bottles for about $20 in the USA; by my calculations, MUP would mean the same bottle costs €56.29 here.

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Advertisement

bnt wrote: »
    In the USA you can get something called Everclear, which in its strongest version is 95% ABV (190 proof). People do buy that and drink it, without dying, and there are even cocktail recipes on the website. It comes in 750ml bottles for about $20 in the USA; by my calculations, MUP would mean the same bottle costs €56.29 here.
    Only 95% ? Pfft wimps :p

Also way overpriced at about €22 per litre.

Only branded water and/or small bottles with fancy caps could cost that much.

Eight bottles of 500ml fizzy water €1.29

Here there's a few supermarkets where somehow someone has found negative cost ingredients that make lemonade cheaper than water.

I've literally bought pints in pubs because they were cheaper than soft drinks.
    Maybe if they charged continental prices people would buy ithem instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

bnt wrote: »

Yup, the only difference between 96% and 40% is a bit of water.
    Many cheap vodkas would literally be 96% neutral ethanol, diluted to bottling strength.

The duty and the vat on that duty on a liter of 96% ethanol would currently be over €50.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yea.
    Now that you say it ,
    Must have been coincidence.

Either that or you made it up.

There is no other credible explanation.

Meanwhile in the UK they are going for a different message

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/brits-drink-124-pints-each-struggling-pubs-covid-lockdown-b935186.html
    Pub-goers will need to drink 124 pints this summer to save the nation’s food and beverage industry, finance experts have claimed.

its a tough ask but I'd be willing to give it a go. Try to do my bit for the country.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,777 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

That's my three week average.

That's my three week average.

I'm only a lightweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

PTH2009 wrote: »
    The term 'Public Health advice' has really made ground the last 12-15 months

Government **** themselves when they here 'Public Health Advice suggests this and that'

it used to be that only the bishops could pronounce with such certainty

Yeah seems that any old trope is being pedalled under the Public Health line now.

While i agree with the Gov curbing some excesses, they have lost the run on the MUP front.

Increase costs to taxpayers, while getting nothing more in the exchequer is a daft idea to me.. Just doesn't equate as sensible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,348 ✭✭✭GhostyMcGhost

Yeah seems that any old trope is being pedalled under the Public Health line now.

While i agree with the Gov curbing some excesses, they have lost the run on the MUP front.

Increase costs to taxpayers, while getting nothing more in the exchequer is a daft idea to me.. Just doesn't equate as sensible.

This, the housing crisis and how they’re handling the pandemic (never mind the HSE ongoing saga)…. Seriously, vote FF again and we deserve things like this

What the flip is wrong with us? Have we got voters Stockholm syndrome or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,608 ✭✭✭✭elperello

This, the housing crisis and how they’re handling the pandemic (never mind the HSE ongoing saga)…. Seriously, vote FF again and we deserve things like this

What the flip is wrong with us? Have we got voters Stockholm syndrome or something?

We can all have our individual preferences when it comes to election time but it will do us no good when it comes to MUP.

All the parties government and opposition support it and voted for it.

We really are hostages with no hope of release.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,522 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

you are allowed an unlimited amount. The quantities stated cannot be enforced under EU law and you can bring back as much as you like for personal consumption without any issue.
    My father in law brings home a full car load every time they go away on summer holidays, and has in the past shipped 3 pallets of wine back with zero issues or associated costs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭Himnydownunder

FF and FG have kind of morphed into one party.

This is a cheap headline grabber (the minimum pricing on alcohol), that allows the government to pat themselves on the back in front of t.v. cameras, when as you say the housing crisis and the H.S.E. disaster are playing out in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

I had to go to A&E on a friday night recently ..i was surprised to find the place almost empty ...no drunks no nothing.

Now saying that its during the pandemic ..

I am not a drinker myself except occasionally. But i don't see that outside of the pandemic we really do have worse drinking issues than any other country tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

I had to go to A&E on a friday night recently ..i was surprised to find the place almost empty ...no drunks no nothing.

Now saying that its during the pandemic ..

I am not a drinker myself except occasionally. But i don't see that outside of the pandemic we really do have worse drinking issues than any other country tbh.

How do you know what goes on in other A@E through out the globe?

It’s like this an alcoholic will pay €2 for a can instead of €1. Not like the price increase will put him/ her off. The person has an addiction. A college student who is a heavy drinker will pay the extra euro for a can also and won’t be put off by the price hike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

How do you know what goes on in other A@E through out the globe?
    I was referring to our alcohol average intake.

We are lower than Germany and Australia. We are the same as luxembourg. And we are around the same as france and belgium.

It is often put to us that A & E is filled with drunks every weekend. I didn't see that at all when i was there.

• Advertisement

I was referring to our alcohol average intake.

We are lower than Germany and Australia. We are the same as luxembourg. And we are around the same as france and belgium.

It is often put to us that A & E is filled with drunks every weekend. I didn't see that at all when i was there.

The funniest part of using the A&E story is that most of the druks there come from drinking in pubs and clubs.

Its not often the home drinker trips over a curb while wearing heels :D:D

To use that argument is to support general taxation - it has no basis for MUP.

Advertisement