Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

There's a lot more important stuff in the world to worry about than the price of your slab of piss-larger.

Get some perspective.

Oh good, another sheep to make broad assumptions about my drinking habits.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,470 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Oh good, another sheep to make broad assumptions about my drinking habits.

We should be honoured that they took time out of their busy schedule to deign to correct us on such an unimportant matter. Probably such a busy individual concerned only with important things should be getting on with, I don't know, impeaching Trump (US senators only need apply) or negotiating the Brexit withdrawal bill (If you're an MP, TD, MEP etc)
    Don't forget to tug your forelocks next time you reply.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭easypazz

The only people this will effect are the miserable gits sitting at home on their own drinking cans of piss because its cheap.

My fear is they will start coming into pubs a bit and bringing down the standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,470 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

easypazz wrote: »
    The only people this will effect are the miserable gits sitting at home on their own drinking cans of piss because its cheap.
    My fear is they will start coming into pubs a bit and bringing down the standard.

If the hoi polloi are drinking at home then they are much less likely to be drink driving, getting into fights on Nitelinks etc
    They can drink away to their heart's content until they drink themselves into an early grave thereby saving the government a bundle in pension payments and all the other handouts these scroungers expect from the gubberment.

It really is mystifying why the gubberment won't just let them alone with their crate of Dutch Gold. I'm sure the posh boys in the gubberment don't want to be rubbing shoulders with such plebs when they grace us with the presence.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

Standards be fierce high alright

samandlarry.jpg

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

This is such a waste of energy. Put more effort into the problems the country faces. Not this ****e.only proves one thing. They must think there doing s bang up job ruining the show wasting time on this which is the real sicken part.

Im a miserable old git sat at home now with a nice glass of whiskey. The price of which I expect to increase when this comes in.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

Im a miserable old git sat at home now with a nice glass of whiskey. The price of which I expect to increase when this comes in.

Aye, i’ll be joining the miserable old git club meself later tonight with a few glasses of vino. The oled tv and the cat beside me, what more could you want ;-)

Micky 32 wrote: »
    Aye, i’ll be joining the miserable old git club meself later tonight with a few glasses of vino. The oled tv and the cat beside me, what more could you want ;-)

So thats three mogs between us.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Distiller-Moonshine-Alcohol-Stainless-Thumper/dp/B00XFXN2EU/

• Advertisement

Suckit wrote: »

Great! After aging it for 12 years it'll be ready to drink in 2032.

Edit: ive experience building stills. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I see Leo is in the papers contemplating advocating 24hr alcohol licenses for bars and clubs in the country, as he says our current licensing laws are 'archaic', and that he fears tourists find our entertainment scene disappointing as people are forced to home at 0230.

Now I have to say I actually agree with Leo, the licensing laws are a bit of a joke in the country, pubs should be allowed to remain open 24/7 if they choose to, especially in the bigger cities, not everyone works 9-5 after all, but apart from that, the universal closing times for all pubs and clubs means hordes of (drunk) people being ejected on to the streets at the same time. Recipe for disaster.

But are Leo and his chums now saying that this demon drink that is detrimental to our health, and hence why he's all for introducing minimum pricing on the offsale stuff (not the stuff sold on licensed premises though, (that seems to be fine apparently) is worth changing the laws so it can be sold 24/7 in a pub?

Are they not even bothering to dress it up the "minimum price for offsales to pander to the Vintners" anymore, are they just being blatant now or what's the story?

*Eyes up his slab of Christmas cans*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

McMurphy wrote: »
    I see Leo is in the papers contemplating advocating 24hr alcohol licenses for bars and clubs in the country, as he says our current licensing laws are 'archaic', and that he fears tourists find our entertainment scene disappointing as people are forced to home at 0230.

Now I have to say I actually agree with Leo, the licensing laws are a bit of a joke in the country, pubs should be allowed to remain open 24/7 if they choose to, especially in the bigger cities, not everyone works 9-5 after all, but apart from that, the universal closing times for all pubs and clubs means hordes of (drunk) people being ejected on to the streets at the same time. Recipe for disaster.

But are Leo and his chums now saying that this demon drink that is detrimental to our health, and hence why he's all for introducing minimum pricing on the offsale stuff (not the stuff sold on licensed premises though, (that seems to be fine apparently) is worth changing the laws so it can be sold 24/7 in a pub?

Are they not even bothering to dress it up the "minimum price for offsales to pander to the Vintners" anymore, are they just being blatant now or what's the story?

*Eyes up his slab of Christmas cans*

The article you are referring to is the following:

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/politics/irelands-really-archaic-licencing-laws-need-to-change-so-bars-can-stay-open-all-night-taoiseach-38811564.html

I've always thought that pubs/nightclubs like the rest of businesses should not have to apply to the courts to stay open past the 12:30 blanket curfew or 11:30 Monday to Thursday. We should be pushing for a 24/7 industry across ALL lines of business especially, if Brexit poses any possible threat to our economy. The less government intervention the better.

Having said that, I do think quick wins could be implemented to address public order offences. For example, plain clothes guards could be deployed on public transport and other areas to catch/detain disorderly people on the sly.

Dare I say that we also need to clamp down on social justice causes where the majority are being punished for the shortcomings of the minority. Seriously, any time I see measures such as the minimum unit pricing, there is almost always a social justice message hidden in the finer details. An example of this is the article here where drinkers are referred to as vulnerable. This is another example of relinquishing personal responsibility.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

So we've gone from minimum unit pricing to discourage excessive consumption (cough cough) to being able to drink as long as we bloody well like as long as we're paying pub prices.

I hope that shower are obliterated in the next election.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,158 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

Is Varadkar getting notions here when it comes to opening hours? He’s only the Taoiseach after all. Did he ask permission from the Most Reverend Diarmuid Martin? It is the Church who keeps us on the straight and narrow after all. Isn’t that where the whole thing came from in the first place?

I hope that shower are obliterated in the next election.

Do you hope the shower that bankrupted the country win the election?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,890 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/simon-harris-use-hse-for-sound-advice-on-alcohol-972336.html

I'm not sure whether this is naivete or something sinister.

The Minister for Health has written to media outlets recommending that they use official HSE sources rather than the drinks industry supported Drinkaware.ie for information about drinking alcohol.

A Government Minister publicly trying to influence where journalists get their information has more than a touch of the "four legs good two legs bad" to it than is good for our democracy.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,042 ✭✭✭✭rob316

What I see served up for 6 euro a pint I'd wonder who's really drinking piss.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

elperello wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/simon-harris-use-hse-for-sound-advice-on-alcohol-972336.html

I'm not sure whether this is naivete or something sinister.

The Minister for Health has written to media outlets recommending that they use official HSE sources rather than the drinks industry supported Drinkaware.ie for information about drinking alcohol.

A Government Minister publicly trying to influence where journalists get their information has more than a touch of the "four legs good two legs bad" to it than is good for our democracy.

What's most sinister is the drinks companies claim that drinkaware is “the national charity working to prevent and reduce alcohol misuse in Ireland”.

And what's more naive is that people believe them.

It's like asking Paddy Power for advice on problem gambling.

What's most sinister is the drinks companies claim that drinkaware is “the national charity working to prevent and reduce alcohol misuse in Ireland”.

And what's more naive is that people believe them.

It's like asking Paddy Power for advice on problem gambling.

And you see no problem in a Government Minister advising journalists which sources to use?

• Advertisement

elperello wrote: »
    And you see no problem in a Government Minister advising journalists which sources to use?
    Absolutely, when one of those sources has a huge conflict of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

Ahhh yes the wonderful askaboutalcohol site that seems to contradict itself.

If you put into to their alcohol risk calculator that you drink 3 pints on a Sat night and thats it, you are deemed to be a low risk drinker.

The same Dept claimed that the same 3 pints a week constituted binge drinking and therefore I would be a problem drinker.

So which is it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 82,343 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Shelflife wrote: »
    Ahhh yes the wonderful askaboutalcohol site that seems to contradict itself.

If you put into to their alcohol risk calculator that you drink 3 pints on a Sat night and thats it, you are deemed to be a low risk drinker.

The same Dept claimed that the same 3 pints a week constituted binge drinking and therefore I would be a problem drinker.

So which is it ?

If all drinkers went out on a Saturday night to pubs and had only 3 pints the entire industry would collapse in a few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭Shelflife

If all drinkers went out on a Saturday night to pubs and had only 3 pints the entire industry would collapse in a few weeks.

Thats nothing to do with the point I was making though.

Basically one one hand the Dept say 3 pints every week is fine, on the other they say that its binge drinking and is a problem.

It cant be both.

Absolutely, when one of those sources has a huge conflict of interest.

I'd prefer if the journalists were left to do their job without Government interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Mr. teddywinkles

Micky 32 wrote: »

Will ya not be participating in your local brawl with your drunken comrades. Falling out of your house into the street to gang up on some poor passer by? Very disappointed.

It was not just a picture of a pint, it was a pint of particular brand of drink , it had "Murphy's" written across the glass.

It was not public art, it was advertising.

MacroomMuralBefore121119_large.jpg?width=600&s=bn-963667

I passed this building last week.

Now that the pint is gone it actually looks better with just the cat and the wall.

The pint was completely out of place

I wonder will Harris try slip this one under the radar and into law this month, at a time when most people wont care about booze.

Or after the black and tans debacle will they be afraid to do anything with a looming election.

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    I wonder will Harris try slip this one under the radar and into law this month, at a time when most people wont care about booze.

Or after the black and tans debacle will they be afraid to do anything with a looming election.

Well he has just done that in the past few days with the section banning earning and redemption of loyalty points on alcohol.

Twelve-month transition period applies to allow supermarkets time to adjust so next Christmas will be the last time you'll be able to use your loyalty vouchers on buying booze.

• Advertisement

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/simon-harris-in-lecturing-preening-interfering-mood-when-it-comes-to-alcohol-1.4135028

This article in the IT is a lot more eloquent than I was in objecting to Mr Harris's attempt to interfere with the media.

Advertisement