Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38,306 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    1st January 2022 apparently for MUP

Christ Nov/Dec this year in the supermarkets will be chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 19,191 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

That is very true, though they do have an influence.

Which would be rather negligible, I believe.

No, I think the people responsible for policy are, more than likely, desirous of it for reasons other than the appeasement of a very small organisation that few people have even heard of.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

'Twas ever thus, the power of the publicans over politicians in Ireland

And it will spectacularly backfire when those who had x amount of money to spend at the pub will now have less and so will be more likely to stay at home instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Tony EH wrote: »
    Which would be rather negligible, I believe.

No, I think the people responsible for policy are, more than likely, desirous of it for reasons other than the appeasement of a very small organisation that few people have even heard of.

The Vitners Association?? :-)

The Vitners Association?? :-)

No.
    Alcohol Action Ireland

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,306 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Pre drinking will still happen esp for Students

Let's hope proper pub hours will be back by the time this farce comes in

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

the Irish Times articles are shockingly propagandistic, no attempt at balance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Christ Nov/Dec this year in the supermarkets will be chaos

Good

I'll certainly be stocking up well before the new year

I'm still going to do my holiday to the north this year and it will just so happen to coincide with a 25% off 6 bottles of wine offer

Funny when Alcohol Action Ireland are thanking Frank Feighan on his twitter

Shops in his locality won't be thanking him when trips north of the border increase next year

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

No.

The Vintners were the original brainchild of this as evidenced by FGs 2011 manifesto but the likes of AAI, the college of physicians and the other orwellian control freaks jumped aboard with gusto when it was realised they needed to pivot this to being a health issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

This country badly needs somebody in the journalistic profession to step up to to plate and investigate exactly what is going on in these NGO's such as the likes of 'Alcohol Action Ireland'. Why these NGO's exist, and for what reason are the Irish government continuously funding the AAI when alcohol consumption has, year on year, fallen for the last 20 years.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

VinLieger wrote: »
    The Vintners were the original brainchild of this as evidenced by FGs 2011 manifesto but the likes of AAI, the college of physicians and the other orwellian control freaks jumped aboard with gusto when it was realised they needed to pivot this to being a health issue.

Which we know is bollocks.

So what's really behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Which we know is bollocks.

So what's really behind it.

the vintners.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Crazy how this is getting through, dribs and drabs so people won't notice till it's too late.

Crazy how this is getting through, dribs and drabs so people won't notice till it's too late.

Well, like most things in this country, they'll pay attention when it hits them in the pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Is there a list of all VFI members anywhere? I want to know which ones to avoid when the pubs re-open.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Is there a list of all VFI members anywhere? I want to know which ones to avoid when the pubs re-open.

There's 2 groups, the LVA are solely in Dublin and the VFI are everywhere else. As far as I know your either a member of one or the other.

Both lobbied for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

VinLieger wrote: »
    There's 2 groups, the LVA are solely in Dublin and the VFI are everywhere else. As far as I know your either a member of one or the other.

Both lobbied for this.

Shower of c1nts.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

And it will spectacularly backfire when those who had x amount of money to spend at the pub will now have less and so will be more likely to stay at home instead.
    If only enough people had the self control to boycott all the pubs for a month when they reopen in June, and let it be known why, there'd be some backtracking on this utter sham.

More chance of pigs flying

• Registered Users Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭MayoSalmon

Well, like most things in this country, they'll pay attention when it hits them in the pocket.

No they won't..carbon tax, USC, Sugar tax...the Irish just take it up the jammer and carry on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

Making Supermarkets more money.

Well done Ireland.

And PBP vote for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,335 ✭✭✭landofthetree

If you voted for FF FG Greens SF SD Lab PBP etc you can have no complaints.

These clowns think they can run your life better than you can.

If the country continues to vote for these megalomaniacs don't be surprised as they decide more and more what you can and can't do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I don't think this will have any impact on the average alcoholic and will only serve to penalise those who drink recreationally but not problematically.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Awkwardstroke

It’s not that long ago that FG made a big racket about “rip off Ireland”....all about high costs in Ireland. Ireland is a relatively high cost country (with declining Alcohol consumption) and this type of price rise does nothing to solve that.

Look around at our neighbours...with the exception of the Scandinavians, who else does this?

As a lover of strong Belgium beers, this will make them proportionately more expensive.

Negative side effects of such a move are possibly home brewing (unregulated output) & loss of revenue to NI.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

odyssey06 wrote: »
    The only Government that'll be making a killing from it will be Her Majesty's Government, unless Stormont enacts the same folly.

And they came for the alcoholics and the students first... my concern is that eventually they will ratchet up MUP so the prices are the same as pubs across the board.

Not with the Sterling exchange rate at present. The exchange rate will continue to be a bigger consideration than the price of alcohol. In Scotland not much revenue went over the border into England.

I doubt that with Sterling

The savings can remain huge

A 1L bottle of whisky is €17.33 given todays exchange rate up North

That would be €31.56 with MUP

€14.23 of a saving for 1 item

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Sadler Peak

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    I doubt that with Sterling

The savings can remain huge

A 1L bottle of whisky is €17.33 given todays exchange rate up North

That would be €31.56 with MUP

€14.23 of a saving for 1 item

Another reason for people up North not to vote for a united Ireland :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭patrickbrophy18

So, what will it cost for Double IPAs?
    Currently they are between 7% and 8% and cost either €3 or €3.50.

A similar situation for Guinness West Indies Porter.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

No change. This only affects the lowest cost pigswill. The government have said so, who are we to not believe them?

• Advertisement

min price is 10c per gram of alcohol

a gram is .8 x 1 ml

so min price of a 500ml beer at 7% abv = 500 x .07 = 35 * .8 = 28 x 10c = €2.80

Advertisement