Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

Even in Scotland where minimum pricing is enforced, it was about £1.25-£1.50 for branded 5% abv 500ml IPA, and a branded litre of spiced rum @30% abv for £16.

Even with minimum pricing there the alcohol is still far cheaper than Ireland where folk currently are and will be taken for a bigger spin

It's nuts they're still pushing this through the way they are without anyone saying some basic facts in the other direction. There couldn't be a much worse way to go about tackling the issue

On the contrary, Alcohol deaths in Scotland are at highest level since 2008! Covid probably skewing the numbers, but they probably are everywhere. At the same time they'll only choose to cherry pick the stats that suit their cause

I still have absolutely no issues with tacking alcohol related concerns in Ireland but not like this

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

On newstalk now but be careful make sure you have your blood pressure tablets taken 🙂

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Christ going all out with their tales of cheap Irish alcohol. There needs to be a push back.

They (AAI) were on RTE this morning, Eunan telling the people how cheap it is and using examples that mey be true, but if they are, he didn't give any examples of where to find it that cheap. Also seemingly using examples of a glass of cider or beer as opposed to a can, to make it sound cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,138 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

wtf is this guy's problem? like we all have to get sick and die somehow, would all of us living longer and getting totally helpless be any better for the health care system? just let us drink ourselves to death in peace ffs.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

A 700ml bottle of whiskey with an alcohol content of 40% was available for €12.99

That's absolute and utter bullshít.

Seems to be the same "example" as before, when the "40% 700mL bottle of whiskey" turned out to be a "20% 500mL bottle of liqueur"

AAI are liars. But RTE, Newstalk, Journal and all the other media are refusing to challenge them on their lies. It'd be nice to see a lot of complaints going in to the BAI over this. (I don't listen to RTE or Newstalk, bad for the blood pressure! 😋 )

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭mollser

How come they never correlate MUP in Scotland with the rapid rise in drug use there? They're one of the worst countries for illegal substance abuse which ramped up significantly since MUP was introduced, there has to be at least a dotted line there and I would like that our health experts properly considered that. Unintended consequences of legislation needs to be considered!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

Feck it, I'll be that guy - because it doesn't fit "The Agenda".

I need to go sanitise my keyboard after typing that.

If this goes through, surely it would be a contradiction to MUP and that the Government are concerned in any way, shape or form for our health?

https://www.thejournal.ie/pub-opening-hours-5549518-Sep2021/

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what makes you think MUP is anything to do with health?

I don't think that. Never did. But the 'bums back on seats' was 2011, they have since changed the narrative to try to convince us it is for our health. If the late licence goes ahead, then surely MUP can't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,389 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Government are talking out of both sides of their mouths.

Mollser raises a great point, what if this just encourages drug use as it appears to have potentially done in Scotland?, talk about shooting ourselves in the foot (and elsewhere!).

People who want to get their kicks are going to do it one way or another, if drugs become cheaper then its obvious thats where they are going to turn to.

Our alcohol useage per head is dropping anyhow, education is the way here. Punative measures such as price gouging off licence alcohol on one hand whilst allowing the nightclubs to stay open later than ever on the other is not sending the right message at all, its got nothing at all to do with our health - that much is clear.

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

You can't do drugs as frequently as you drink though.

The only way you can protest this is boycotting the bar (or at least cutting back on the amount of times you go) and letting the bars know why.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

You can't do drugs as frequently as you drink though.

really?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Well, not as safely anyway :)

That said it depends on the drug. Weed you could probably do, but then you'd want a drink anyway. Cocaine, until your money runs out (but then you'd be better off paying for the MUP booze anyway)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

Weed you definitely can do! It's what I replaced alcohol with.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

While weed might be a replacement for alcohol in certain circumstances for some people it won't be a useful substitute in all cases.

I like a glass or two of wine with a meal and a nice cold beer at a barbecue.

MUP is going to force me to pay more to enjoy these simple pleasures neither of which can be substituted by weed.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

Why don't they simply add extra excise to it? Like a 5% or extra 10% on the prince of all alcohol?

If Dutch Gold is brought up to the same price as a bottle of premium beer such as Duvel, what will happen to the price of Duvel? It will distort the market. I hope it is tested in Luxembourg.

If they add excise it would raise the pub price as well. This rubbish is being brought in to protect the pubs at the expense of off licences.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Because this measure is entirely about helping publicans (and old style off-licences) by increasing the price of off-trade (particularly supermarket) sales. Nothing else.

Its wrapped in a nonsense of public health claims and backed up in that regard by neo-prohibitionists, but its solely there to try boost pub sales versus home drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

At least you'll still be able to legally buy it. I'm hoping once weed is legalised that it will become cheaper, but I don't trust the government to do that right. And they totally can be substituted by weed, but I recommend to smoke it before the meal, it'll be waaaaaay better then! And you can save your liver and drink water or cordial of some sort. :pac:

I jest, I know it can't replace it for everyone, and I'll be honest and say giving up drink precludes you from a lot of events, unless you're able to put up with drinkers while staying sober (I can't, even with weed, I can't deal with drinkers anymore....). Which ties into the stoner stereotype of doing nothing and going nowhere, but if it was legal I could start being social again, just in whatever weed circles would emerge. If I never drink again, it'll be too soon, but I know I will be at inevitable weddings, etc that are coming. Sigh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭TinCanMan

They need to talk to the dealers and bring in a MUP for illegal drugs to prevent an uptake when people move away from alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Jeremy Sproket

I'd be interested to see whether cannabis is legalised here and if most of the rest of the EU start falling in line, when will Ireland (if at all)?

Most of western Europe seems to have either decriminalised it or it's illegal but essentially unenforced.

In Western Europe, Ireland, the UK, France, Norway and Sweden seem to be the only countries where it's illegal and people are punished for consumption or possession. The vintners would fiercely resist any attempt to legalise it here. I wonder would an EU-wide directive ever make it legal across the whole bloc?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/a/a5/Map-of-world-cannabis-laws.svg/1920px-Map-of-world-cannabis-laws.svg.png

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭cavan_man2021

Been to the supermarket not naming names but big one with the extra. Anyway I have noticed that they have put the wine up in price. Not just a few cent here there but like some bottles have went up 3 to 10 euro in price .

It's getting scandalous the price increase on alcohol and then we will have a minimum pricing increase in January.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

January will be fun. Peak of winter. Threat of lockdowns. Electricity blackouts. Gas prices through the roof. You'd need a drink to comfort yourself and escape life.......don't worry, government have your misery covered there too 😆

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

If they add excise it would provide more monies for the health service.

MUP means that supermarkets are forced to pocket the increase.

Unless people increase their overall spending it's pretty much VAT neutral unless people stop eating food.

CPI includes booze. MUP will lead to inflation. Not sure what it's linked to here but in the UK pension increases would be determined by CPI if neither of the other metrics are higher.

https://www.cso.ie/en/media/csoie/methods/consumerpriceindex/Consumer_Price_Index_(CPI)_and_Harmonised_Index_of_Consumer_Prices_(HICP)_expenditure_weights_by_COICOP_Division_2017-2021.xlsx

protecting publicans has a higher priority than our health service.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,418 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Minimum alcohol pricing desperately needed as alcohol consumption falling:

Alcohol consumption fell by 10.8% in the first half of 2021, compared with the same period last year, research from Revenue Clearance found. While the fall is a result of the closure of the hospitality industry, according to Drinks Ireland, this is also in line which with the long-term trend of consumption declining in Ireland.

Read more: https://www.shelflife.ie/alcohol-consumption-fell-by-almost-11-in-the-first-half-of-2021/#ixzz78Rz4yQLe

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭techman1

I think MUP will be put on the back burner precisely because it will lead to an increase in inflation, already soaring energy prices are causing inflation , the government are desperate to keep inflation statistic as low as possible so they wont be hit with a wage spiral . Germany has the highest inflation rate in 30 years, the government worried ECB be forced to move up interest ratres

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

The commencement order was signed months ago to give the sector the necessary lead-in time to make the required adjustments so there's no going back now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Advertisement