Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,659 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Its a done deal. Approved by TDs quite some time ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,964 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

So, seeing as it's a done deal and it's on the way in, and seeing as it's not technically a tax and suppliers/retailers are going to pocket the extra, should we not then put pressure on any off-licence to contribute the new profit directly towards health services. See if the people who sell the poison want to help those they got addicted to it, or just typical greedy cnuts who don't care about anything but the bottom line.

And from what someone said above, I'd 100% be behind a alcohol advertising ban similar to tobacco. Madness that alcohol companies sponsor major, family sporting events. We want to reduce the issues with drink, and it has had some success with tobacco (again, Google thinking I want certain articles instead of the terms I'm actually searching for, it's gone to the dogs!), but it seems like it was anyway.

If an additional tax were to be imposed in place of vat/excise increases, and were to be designated eg, Added Health Tax, it could also potentially be applied to other substances like cigarettes & gambling and ring-fenced for mental healthcare to the benefit of society in general.

The reason they're not going to do it via extra tax is that this was never a health measure - its a publican / old fashioned off-licence support scheme. Extra tax would have to be paid by publicans too.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Something tells me this might have something to do with MUP

why would Heineken buy these companies?

https://jrnl.ie/5621391

They've had a large stake in that company for a couple of years now. It would have happened sooner or later.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

25% but now they own the lot.

why would you buy a company that sells cheap largers/ciders which MUP may take them out?

I assume there’ll be feck all cheap brands once MUP comes in?

Comans don't just sell cheap beer, they do a lot of quality wines and spirits. Major supplier to hotels and restaurants as well.

• Advertisement

Oh, sorry, who do i ask for permission to post an opinion on an opinion forum?

I'll remember this rule when people who don't consume cannabis comment in threads about cannabis. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭techman1

Be a big rise in inflation in January so, a very bad time to bring this in. Unless they fiddle the figures so that the alcohol weighting in consumer price index is reduced, I wouldn't put it past them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,282 ✭✭✭-=al=-

I presume if Heineken can charge base MUP for the cheaper brands they can maintain Heineken and the other premium brands they own at a higher prices. They own tonnes of diff brands.

It's still nuts the way MUP has come about and they're still at it. If the extra cash was going the help/improve services, nbd, but it isn't. It never even really worked in Scotland, and I believe alcohol consumption is still dropping in Éire, iirc. I've definitely noticed a general vibe from friends/family and myself included, drinking less. Maybe it's Covid or lack of interest, who knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,759 ✭✭✭lertsnim

The shops on the other side of the border will be doing a roaring trade. The idiots making the laws here don't seem to acknowledge it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I see the who's who of alcohol action ireland are out in force last two days. Void of factual data but big on the prohibition.

Rattling crucifixes out the windows.

Classic work lads keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

They aren't going anyway any time soon.

They will chalk up the MUP nonsense as a victory and continue with their neo-prohibitionist agenda.

How are they are getting away with it ?

From their website -

Alcohol Action Ireland, the national independent advocate for reducing alcohol harm,

Our principal funder is currently the Health Service Executive (HSE) with additional funding sourced, periodically, from the Department of Health/Healthy Ireland and National Lottery Grants.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

somebody who is addicted will not reduce their consumption. that is how addiction works. they will stop spending money on other stuff. and it isn't a stealth tax. at least a stealth would give the money to the government. this extra cost goes straight into the pockets of retailers. I can't believe that after nearly 6000 posts people are still posting this tired nonsense that it isn't such a bad idea after all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ablelocks

am i right in thinking that wine will be the least affected drink - if the MUP on a bottle of wine is 7.40, the majority wines are already above this level. To take supervalu as an example, most wines on sale currently start at about €8

• Registered Users Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭sully123

• Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

€7.40 will be a rare MUP for red wine as few are 12.5%. That's more of a white wine percentage. The more normal 13.5% will be €8 under MUP.

It's possible I guess that stores may source more wine in the 11.5%/12% range just to have headline low prices?

Also I wouldn't take Spar prices as a reference base. There are plenty of perfectly serviceable wines in the €5 price slot in Aldi and Lidl, which will obviously have a sizeable increase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,393 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Here's a decent calculator by the way (something similar may well have been posted already). Just enter in the size of your bottle/can and the alcohol percentage.

Minimum Unit Pricing Calculator for Alcohol | Irish Wine Reviews

Right, so your own personal main reason for not wanting this coming in is because of how badly it'll affect the alcoholics?

Will write apply the same theory across the board? No increase in the price of anything in case the addicts get worse?

jesus, you really did go out of your way to read that completely wrongly. pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,393 ✭✭✭Macy0161

Drinking : 42% of drinkers are stating they are drinking less with binge drinking down significantly, reduced to 15% of the population as compared to 28% before the pandemic

Alcohol consumption

66% of people have consumed alcohol in the previous 6 months, with those aged 15-24 (70%) and men (68%) most likely to do so

37% of the population aged 15 and older drink alcohol at least once a week. This compares to 41% in the previous measurement in 2018

15% of the population (22% of drinkers) binge drink on a typical drinking occasion. This compares to 28% (37% of drinkers) in 2018

https://www.gov.ie/en/publication/9ef45-the-healthy-ireland-survey-2021/

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,303 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Aldi does cheap and cheerful wine at €3.99 a bottle so MUP is nearly doubling the price.

And all the costs would be the same with MUP so Aldi would hand over 64c of the increase in VAT and pocket €2.77 as pure profit over and above their current profit.

Unlike beer, wine already had jumps in excise of €1 a bottle in 2012 and 50c in 2013 so beer could be increased that way rather than MUP. And as we all know those increases caused an instant and permanent change in wine drinking, mar dhea 🙄

If wine excise had been treated like beer those Aldi bottles would be €2.50 now and wine consumption would be rampant.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,428 ✭✭✭macraignil

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

I think this minimum alcohol pricing will do nothing to influence alcohol consumption which as others have pointed out is already falling. It will just lead to some retailers with more money in their pocket and a slight government gain in VAT. It will lead to some consumers with less money in their pocket and effect those on lower incomes disproportionately. It has already failed to help addiction problems in Scotland with continued increases in drug related deaths most likely made worse with some of the figures due to increased numbers of people trying to get some sort of high off illegal substances because it is a bit more expensive to have a legally purchased drink.

I do like to occasionally have a few cans at home when watching football as I live too far from a pub to go there regularly and using the calculator for minimum pricing the beer can I currently like to drink from Lidl will go from 1.10euro per can to 1.98euro per can.

I liked the system I saw in Sweden which at one time had a severe problem with alcohol related deaths and they allowed sale in normal shops of any alcohol up to 3.5% strength but then had much more strictly regulated sales of anything stronger. I think they are acually after putting a bit of thought into their policy and tried to change the rules to protect people unlike the MUP policy here which alows govermnment appear like they are doing something about alcoholism while in reality they are just making some people on lower incomes poorer.

What's your point so? Seeing as I read the last one completely wrong, maybe spell it out for me a bit better.

I get the feeling that no one actually cares about anyone else except themselves who'll have to fork out a few more euro for their booze. If people were a bit more honest, maybe we wouldn't be getting confused.

Yes, but when the current 3.99 wine in Lidl is 7.40, the 8 quid wine won't be 8 anymore. Market segmentation will be preserved. By whapping up prices on the mid-range too.

my point was pretty clear. it was pretty simple english. you clearly have no interest in trying to understand what is being said to you

• Advertisement

really weird that you deleted the two responses you made to me last night.

Advertisement