Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

I was curt with you earlier in this thread, and had dismissed your posts saying I wouldn't be replying to you.

I apologise for what might have seemed like an over the top reaction. I thought you were another poster. I only noticed today by fluke while I was looking for something else.

I'm not sure how you took it - but I can only say I will try to be more observant with who I am replying to.

No offence meant by it anyway, but in particular it shouldn't have even been aimed at you.

I still disagree with you, but not to the extent I mentioned previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Hop house13 was €11.50 it's now €14 in dunnes, its €15.25 in the off licence, that I'm never going back to. So it's a big price increase.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,333 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Going on an all night bender is a lot cheaper in Berlin than in Ireland (and the clubs are more interesting)

Same housing issues - agreed; high health care costs - agreed, but it covers a LOT more; inflation - don't honestly know.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

No, drugs are still more expensive (and probably harder to find).

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Ozvaldo

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

47 yoyos for a slab fcuk that

own brand cans must be finished lidl aldi etc being the same price as the rest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭Macy0161

My local centra has increased prices for beer across the board. Just means they won't get the business if we can possibly help it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

As has been pointed out NUMEROUS times. It passed in Scotland and Wales as they COULD NOT independently raise the tax in their respective countries. This is controlled by Westminster on a UK basis.

You can get pills for as little as €2 a pop if you buy in bulk. Coke has gone from €200 a gram, to €150, to €100, to €80 and you can get it cheaper if its not decent tack, but it'll still get you buzzed. Speeds and Ket are even cheaper again. And it is simple to find and a lot easier to get than alcohol because your friendly neighbourhood drug dealer will generally deliver at any time of the day or night, and will even give tic if you don't have the cash on you.

In Dublin, maybe, but not everywhere in Ireland has easy access to drug dealers!

Pills at 2 euro I'd be suspicious of. And buying in bulk is not an option as you can only really do them once every few weeks, and you need company anyway.

If you have 80 euro to dispose of for a night or two's substances, you're not going to be worried about MUP - you can still get 30 decent beers and a bottle of spirit for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,194 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

it is simple to find and a lot easier to get than alcohol 

No matter what spin you put on it, drugs are not easier to get than alcohol.

Anyone over the age of 18 can just walk into thousands of outlets be they shops, off-licenses, restaurants, pubs etc in plain view of the whole world and buy alcohol.

Not so the case for drugs.

will even give tic if you don't have the cash on you.

Drugs debt, hardly a promotional point now is it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Are you suggesting full on prohibition then? And if not why not?

No, where did I mention proabortion or even suggest it ?

I'm just saying that it's easier to get alcohol than drugs, the other poster was saying otherwise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Im just extrapolating because you say its harder to get drugs than alcohol due to them being illegal and you don't like how easy and cheap alcohol is to buy so for that reason would you think full on prohibition is a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭DarkJager21

You are clearly out of date when it comes to access to drugs - it is literally as simple as finding a dealer advertising on Snapchat (yes there are pages that sell weed, pills etc), contact them and have them either drop to your door or collect yourself. It's basically as easy to get drugs today as it is to put an order in on Just Eat.

Keep your head in the sand there mate. Anyone of any age can get drugs in any village, town or city in Ireland. There are no restricted closing times, they are delivered to wherever you want them and you don't have to pay straight away. It is simple to get drugs in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

So you're going to protest against an alcohol intake reduction measure by (checks notes) reducing your alcohol intake?

Every town, village and city is awash with drugs. Buy 1 pill you'll prob pay €10. Buy 500 pills and you'll pay about €3/4 a pop. Buy 1000+ and you'll get them for about €2 a pop. If people start popping them again like the 90s/early 2000s, youngsters will see $$$ signs in their eyes.

Not sure where you're getting your info from, what makes you think everywhere is 'awash' with drugs?

also, can you clarity: by pill do you mean ecstacy? And how often do you see people taking one? If not, then what 'pills' are you taking about?

And how were people popping them in the 90s? Why not the time in between?

(Sorry, I'm one of those annoying people who chases people up on their buzzphrases rather than take them for granted)

Yes. I'm a bit older now at 39, so haven't been in a nightclub in a while. When I was younger they were taken very regularly. Still very popular in places like Ibiza which is full of teens-late 20s people. And talking to young lads in the pub (pre-8pm lockdown) etc they are still very popular as they are a cheap and lasting buzz, they generally get them for the end of the night and go back to a session now that clubs are closed. And they are massive at festivals/dance concerts.

You haven't actuality answered the cquestion regarding frequency. Or any of the non-E questions I asked. Or how someone in their mid teens knows people's drug habits in the 90s...

• Advertisement

But it's not as simple as walking into a pub, off-license, supermarket etc and buying alcohol.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

But it's not as simple as walking into a pub, off-license, supermarket etc and buying alcohol.

I answered what you asked in your original post. Sorry I didn't have the foresight to know that you would edit your post with more questions. I have severely admonished myself.

In what way, shape or form am I going to be able to tell you the frequency that every young person takes ecstasy?

Thousands of people were taking them in the 90s because the underground rave scene was massive. I also never said that "someone in their teens knows peoples drug habits in the 90s" and fail to understand what relevance that would have.

The 2019–20 NDAS survey involved 5,762 people in Ireland: 3 The results showed: • 8.5% of respondents had ever used ecstasy in their lifetime, corresponding to 333,000 of the general population in Ireland aged 15 years and older. • 2.2% of respondents (87,000 of the general population) and 1.0% of respondents (41,000 of the general population) had used ecstasy in the last year and the last month, respectively.

Source: https://www.drugsandalcohol.ie/30984/1/Ecstasy%20factsheet_July_2021.pdf

Yes, a few taps on the phone at any hour of the day/night is an awful lot harder than getting up off your arse, going to a shop, pub, offie etc within restricted hours and having to have money on you there and then.

I only edited the post for typos (even even that)

Anyway, question was asked: will MUP result in an increase in illegal drug taking? I disagreed.

You seemed to think so on the basis that people could just make a phone call and order €2000 euro worth of ecstacy as if they were ordering pizza because of MUP. The only people doing that are dealers with intent to resupply for profit. Nobody - and I mean NOBODY - is doing it for recreational useage, and certainly not because of MUP and DEFINITELY not with the clubs closed for the foresseable future and only 1% of the population consuming on a monthly basis even when they were open!

Furthermore, I don't believe you have any clue what Ireland (and note I didn't say Dublin) was like with regard to drugs in the 90s- you weren't exactly hanging out at all night raves every weekend in your early-mid teens and even if you did, it has no relevance as to what life is like now or will because of MUP.

MUP will have little to no effect on other drug consumption (well, maybe weed).

Firstly, you cannot edit quotes, your original post is quoted in my first reply to you, you did a lot more there than "editing typos". No idea why you would lie over something so trivial.

Secondly, I don't 'seem to think' anything. I, and others, made the point that ordering drugs was as easy as ordering Just Eat. On another seperate note, I stated that if someone sees a gap in the market and an opportunity the could buy in bulk for €2-3 a pill and make a killing.

Thirdly, I was hitting the Temple Theatre and warehouse raves from about the age of 15.

Fourthly, I've no idea what or why you keep re-iterating the last part of your sentence. Not one person in this entire thread has said life today is the same as the past.

You can reply to part of a quote - I've seen it done plenty of times. IN any case, not relevant.

It's not as easy (unless you already know a dealer) and my point was it's not cheaper. They won't make a killing for reasons outlined: demand is low because clubs are closed and in any case, the point was about cheap highs not business oppertunities.

I doubt your thirdly and even if true - as you say forthly - it has no relevance on today (despite the fact that you were the one who mentioned the 90s anyway...?)

• Registered Users Posts: 994 ✭✭✭rightmove

never said that. Do you just think you job here is to finish off other ppls threads. May suggestion was swings and roundabouts. Your reply to this is probably going to involve a playground I suspect.

• Advertisement

I don't know any drug dealers.

I don't know where to go and find one.

I don't know what type of drugs will give me what high.

I don't know how much I need.

I don't have cash on me and I don't want to get into any debt witha drug dealer.

There are two shops and one pub a few minutes walk away.

I can go into any of them and buy a range of alcohol products.

If I don't have cash I can use a card.

I know what I'm getting and how it will affect me.

I'm not saying drugs are hard to get, but what I am saying is that it's simpler to get alcohol.

Post edited by Fr Tod Umptious on

Advertisement