Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Lidl charge €2.15 for a single can of Heineken but just along the shelf you can buy a 500ml bottle from the Crafty range brewed in Kildare for less than €2.

If people didn't buy them at €2.65 in Spar they might get more realistic with their pricing.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Cheap beer and wine has certainly gone up in price.

Decent stuff hasn't really changed a whole lot.

The trouble is a lot of the cheap stuff was also decent.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭dubrov

They would be fools to raise the price of the more expensive stuff now. It would be very obvious. Give it 6 months though

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Those days are now sadly gone. A booze cruise to Newry might be worth looking at though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭sundodger5

Enniskillen

No Asda in Newry, in case anyone doesn't know.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

People thinking of a trip North Patrick's weekend have a decision to make. Sterling is at a 5 year high, except for a week in Feb 2020. Around Sept 2020 £100 would have cost €110, now it is over €122. Very unpredictable exchange rate over the years. Buy now, or wait until nearer Patrick's Day?

Of course those paying with credit cards or phones will have to take the rate on the day. Wouldn't surprise me if the shops in NI increase the prices of drink if there is a big influx.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭La Madame

I see many people here referring to alcohol prices before MUP as cheap or cheap booze. Alcohol was never really cheap in Ireland compared to MOST other EU countries.But now the prices are completely mad.

Beer Drinkers support Farmers!

Abolish infamous Minimum Unit Pricing!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,715 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

With Mup in place and the public starved of any real pub life for the last couple of years the Lvi/Lva are cocky and full sure the customers will be breaking down their doors over the next while to binge on their overpriced wares, sadly I think they are right, I can allmost see the spittle drooling out of their mouths in anticipation as they ready themselves to fleece us again in a nice supervised safe setting

• Registered Users Posts: 29,072 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

we will have to wait and see i guess.

hopefully it won't happen so as to send a message that the public know that this is nothing more then an attempted indirect pub subsidy.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,087 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

You know the way there is that app that tells you which Petrol stations are charging what per litre? Pumps,ie

We could do with one of those for pubs. Use the cost of a pint of plain as the benchmark. Sick to the hind teeth of those pubs that gouge.

People need to seriously boycott the gougers. Mind you - they will probably then go crying to the government looking for help.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,147 ✭✭✭TheRiverman

Guinness and Coors 4 for €8 in a Centra I was in today. This is the same as it was for much of last year. 8's are €14 down from €16. Those are the very same prices that they were for much of 2021. The only real difference is they cannot now do the 8 for €10 or €12. Single cans are around €2.45, again the same as before minimum pricing. The above prices are the same in other Supermarket/ Convenience store off licences also, so minimum pricing has made very little difference to prices, because they were already widely those before it was brought in. As is pointed out in another post here, alcohol prices were never really cheap in Ireland compared to other EU countries.

A six pack of Perlenbacher or its Aldi equivalent Rheinbacher has risen from about E 7.50 to E 11.50. I find that a steep rise in price.

On a related topic. Have a look here contrary to what the Health Mafia says Ireland has a very low rate of Liver disease death per 100000 inhabitants

..and if anybody feels like to make a complaint to one of the promoting bodies of MUP:

Post edited by La Madame on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,608 ✭✭✭dasdog

That's the projected FG. The optimal temp for the yeast I'm using is above 20C and it's a few degrees less than that where I have it so I've given it an extra few days before taking a reading. Looking to bottle tomorrow so approx 12 days from initial fermentation to bottles and I'll give it at least three weeks before even trying one.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,566 ✭✭✭dubrov

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭Phil.x

Here is the reply I got from Stephen donnellys office when I complained about MUP. A typical pr campaign reply which didn't answer any of my questions.

"Thank you for contacting Minister for Health Stephen Donnelly T.D. Constituency office and bringing your concerns on the minimum unit pricing of alcohol.

The Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018 legislates for alcohol from a public health perspective. The Act is designed to reduce alcohol consumption, reduce the harms caused by the misuse of alcohol, and delay the initiation of alcohol consumption by children and young people.

Ireland is now one of only a small number of countries in the world to introduce minimum pricing. Scotland was the first in Europe to introduce it in 2018, followed by Wales in 2020. Other countries and territories which already have a legal minimum price include the Russian Federation and regions in Australia and Canada.

A minimum unit price of 10c per gram of alcohol is provided for in section 11 of the Public Health (Alcohol) Act 2018. Minimum unit pricing will set a floor price beneath which alcohol cannot legally be sold and will target cheap products relative to their strength. The minimum price is determined and directly proportionate to the amount of pure alcohol in the drink. A 10c per gram alcohol will not impact on any product sold on-licence and will only impact the cheapest of products sold off-licence.

The key health stats demonstrate the need to introduce this policy:

• The number of hospitalisations attributable to alcohol has risen by 94.8% between 1995 and 2018, from 9,420 to 18,348. 
    • 1,094 deaths in Ireland in 2017 were alcohol-related. That is three deaths per day.
    • Ireland had the third-highest level of adolescent binge drinking globally at 61% for females and 58.8% for males, according to date from a global study on “Progress in adolescent health and wellbeing”, published in the Lancet in March 2019. 
    • 2018 saw an 80% increase in the number of children under-16 admitted to Irish hospitals because of alcohol intoxication. 36 children in 2018 compared to 20 such cases in 2017."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,939 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

I agree because we have drinking problems in Ireland.

No sign of my beloved Woodgate cider at all in Lidl over the weekend. Have they pulled in completely now that it lost the price advantage?

• Advertisement

A few weeks ago in the Sunday Times wine column, the writer had contacted Lidl (or Aldi, I can't remember) to ask if it was true that they were going to put up prices for wines which were already above MUP. As a way of keeping a differential from the previously cheap stuff.

They said no, but also that they would no longer be stocking any wines which were below MUP before. So if that is true, there should be no bottles on the shelves which are dearer than before MUP. That might apply to the cheap ciders and lagers as well.

Lidl are selling a Spanish red wine Conde Noble which is 11%.

It's the cheapest bottle I've seen since MUP at €6.51.

For comparison it's £2.99 in England and £4.13 in Scotland and Wales.

You'd need a sense of humour to be a drinker in this country 🙂

The Minister does not understand that the problems lie deeper within the Irish society and will not be cured with MUP.

Many countries in the Lancet Study have much cheaper alcohol prices and still have a lower level of adolescent Bing drinking.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,407 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

The Conde Noble was €4 pre-MUP... I got it for cooking and sampled it... you'd be mad to pay 6.50 for it! Thought it was very poor.

The €5 shiraz were ok though.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Well there you are, a perfect illustration of the madness of MUP.

€6.51 up from €4 for cooking wine.

€2.51 extra and you're not even drinking it.

(You are right Lidl had some nice cheap wines pre MUP. They still have, just not in this country)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yeah but the thing is they've tried nothing else and they are all out of ideas......

It sort of reflects the outrage which was in full flow 20 days ago when it was written. Complete with every cliche in the book. The whole thing has died down now. Probably will flare up again around Patrick's Day.

Well while it may feature a few cliches the article calls a spade a spade. MUP is an Irish solution to an Irish problem. A immature solution to our immature society. A bit like reforestation with Sitka Spruce Plantations to beat the Climate Change .... but thats another topic.

A big Thank You to the Boards Member who contacted Minister Donally. When I find time over the next few days I will do same.

• Advertisement

At least the usual populist politicians seem to have steered away from going public in opposing this health measure. But there is no shortage of populist columnists to take their place. They don't care about poor people or pensioners, but it makes for a good read. Why do they think alcohol is so essential to pensioners? Can they not be left to make their own choices about how to spend their money, without being patronised by journalists and online do gooders?

"This was designed to target the less well-off who dare to drink, but wrapped up in a quasi-health measure.

Thanks to new age puritans, a pensioner who likes five or six beers a week will be worse off to the tune of around €5 completely wiping out the rise in the State Pension.

On the other hand, someone who likes to drink a few €20 bottles of wine will not be affected.

This is in everything but name another tax on the poor".

Advertisement