Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options
1302303304305306308»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,962 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bog master

Your post quotes a media article. Please supply actual quotes from the report and I shall happily give you my opinions.

The source was named in the article. You can see the references [x] from Page 202 onwards. This is [10] as an example:

10 Central Statistic Office. CSO population 2022 Census. https://www.cso.ie/en/statistics/
    population/censusofpopulation2022/censusofpopulation2022-summaryresults/
    (accessed 4 Jul 2023).

https://www.hrb.ie/fileadmin/user_upload/HRB_Alcohol_Overview_Series_13.pdf

3.1 Per capita alcohol consumption.

A total of 42,266,785 litres of pure alcohol was sold for consumption in Ireland in 2023. This
    is then divided by the number of people aged 15 years and over in the population, which was
    4,270,000 in 2023 according to CSO estimates [10]. This means that per capita alcohol use
    in Ireland in 2023 was 9.9 litres of pure alcohol per person aged 15 years and over, a 2.9%
    decrease from 2022, (based on 2022 population estimates).

Because per capita alcohol consumption is based on all adults aged 15 years and over in
    Ireland, this rate of consumption includes those who abstain from consuming alcohol. Data
    from the 2023 Healthy Ireland Survey indicate that 30% of adults in Ireland aged 15 years and
    over had not consumed alcohol in the previous 12 months [3]. When abstainers (n=1,281,000
    according to the 2023 Healthy Ireland Survey) are excluded, alcohol consumption among
    drinkers aged 15 years and over increases to 14.1 litres of pure alcohol per person in 2023.
    This is considerably more than the Department of Health’s stated aim to reduce per capita
    alcohol consumption in Ireland to 9.1 litres.

Globally, up to one-quarter of alcohol use is not officially recorded [11]. A study of 25,728
    respondents from 33 European countries (including Ireland) was carried out in 2021 in order
    to establish the prevalence of unrecorded alcohol use. The study found that seven countries
    (including Ireland) had high levels of unrecorded alcohol use, with 11.3% of per capita alcohol
    use in Ireland estimated as being unrecorded. Ireland was above the European average for
    unrecorded alcohol use among male drinkers (14.2% compared with the European average
    of 13.9%). Females’ unrecorded alcohol use was noted as 7.9% in Ireland (compared with the European average of 9.9%). The study concludes that when unrecorded alcohol use is considered along with Revenue figures, the true rate of per capita alcohol consumption is substantially higher than what is officially reported [12].

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yes that time you fell for easily disproveable brexit nonsense and refused to admit your naivety. This new post with zero sources that is full of rumors and unsubstantiated claims reeks of the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Given that the distinctions between cafes / bars / pubs / restaurants is so blurred in DE, FR, etc., I don't know how anybody can arrive at a comparison between Ireland and other countries.

• Advertisement

I only skimmed through the 200 odd pages, and I did not look up any of the reference except the one about the estimate of the number of over 15 year olds in Ireland at the time of the last Census. The Conclusions section does recognise that there are gaps in the data. But your characterisation of the report needs some opposing evidence to back up your claims.

Research gaps
    This report has highlighted that we have multiple sources of information, from routine
    surveys, national information systems, administrative data and published literature about
    alcohol use in Ireland. There remains some important gaps in our knowledge base,
    namely the lack of data on numbers of emergency department presentations and
    ambulance callouts that are alcohol related. There are groups where there is limited or no
    information available or a lack of up-to-date information available, so we do not know the
    extent of alcohol use among these populations, for example, LGBTQI population, ethnic
    minorities including members of the Traveller community and those living in Ireland as asylum seekers or refugees.

It is difficult to quantify the involvement of alcohol in domestic violence and we have
    included information in this report about alcohol use among the victims of sexual assault, but
    what about the perpetrators? There is limited information about community mental health
    services and how alcohol use and mental health issues are often intertwined.
    Alcohol use places a considerable burden on Irish society but the economic costs are
    relatively unknown. A report published in 2010 is still relied on to estimate the societal
    costs associated with problem alcohol use (EUR 3.7 billion or 1.9% of GDP). More recently,
    a systematic review and meta-analysis of available literature found that in high-income
    countries, the economic costs of alcohol use were estimated to be approximately 2.6%
    of the GDP. Government revenue raised from alcohol sales is significantly less. Given the
    evidence of the harm associated with alcohol use in Ireland, it is vital that a precise figure be
    determined to understand the financial burden alcohol use places on Irish society

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Wait are you serious? This an hilarious yet sad attempt to skew the stats. Yes if you remove the people who don't drink anything from the PER CAPITA stats of course consumption goes up...... The HRB literally skew the stats to ignore the per capita number to then complain the DOH goal of a reduction per capita isn't close to being met. Also their only data to base this number of teetotalers on is from a self reporting survey where they just asked people if they had had a drink in the past 12 months. Jesus fvcking christ…….

You know what I hear if you remove the numbers of cars crashed and deaths on the road from the stats then Ireland is the safest country to drive in the world.

Also it turns out if you remove everyone who doesn't use heroin from our statistics then we have 100% heroin use in Ireland….

Post edited by VinLieger on

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Dub.

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.

My old man used to buy a cheap bottle of Tesco vodka and a few cans for the weekend, on sunday night he`d go around to his local for a couple of pints and a chat. That was all, he didn`t touch alcohol during the week. Mup changed that, and he couldn`t afford the couple of pints and the chat on a sunday night with his pension. He refused help from his kids as he was a proud old git. He died from covid a while back and i worked out that he hadn`t been around to his local for a pint and a chat in nearly a year. Our government literally stole that small pleasure from him in his last year of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Timistry

They had the same offer on in LIDL in Cork last week but for the princely sum of €15.49

• Registered Users Posts: 10,356 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

It's the cheapest they're allowed. Before MUP it used to be €7.69 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Sadly the story of MUP is full of folk like your dad.

Doing no harm to anyone, enjoying a few drinks in their own way.

Make no mistake, the promotors of MUP knew people like your dad would suffer for their experiment.

They didn't care though, they were blinded by the idea that increasing the price of drink would improve outcomes for those who drink excessively.

Everyone else was just collateral damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,666 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You're being too kind to them elporello.

There were those who want to control society and there were those motivated by naked commercial self-interest.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭elperello

I'm certainly not going soft on MUP.

I hate it as much as I did when I first heard of the idea years ago.

When I mentioned promoters of MUP I was referring to the medics and campaigning groups like AAI.

At least, wrong as they were, they appeared to believe that MUP would deliver some health benefits.

But how the politicians swallowed the nonsense and it got cross party support still amazes me.

I don't know how public representatives could keep a straight face sitting across the table from publican and off licence lobbying organisations extolling the health benefits of MUP.

How could all the parties opposition and government alike fail to detect what you correctly describe as naked commercial self interest ?

Advertisement