Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,873 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    FG giving a kicking to poorer people who vote for their ideological enemies while giving a perceived boost to themselves/publican mates.

That’s it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Rick Shaw wrote: »
    Here's where I see the responsible drinker will get punished.

As a self employed individual, I work some weeks 50-60 hours.

I like to unwind some evenings with a can of beer (I usually go for Polish beer as I find it better tbh) I can grab 4 cans for €6 (Zywiec 5.6%) last night I had 2.

Under these proposed changes, I am going to be forced to pay exceptionally more, because of the tiny minority they claim they wish to target?

It's a sop to the Vintners. Plain and simple.

I will most probably continue to drink my polish beer, but tbh I will source it now in 24 can trays from Polish truck drivers.

End result = lost revenue to the exchequer and I still will very, very seldom go to the pub.

I agree with you 100%..... but please do me one favour ,,, please pm me the number of the polish truck driver !!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,964 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Zebra3 wrote: »
    FG giving a kicking to poorer people who vote for their ideological enemies while giving a perceived boost to themselves/publican mates.

That’s it in a nutshell.

But their ideological enemies ie. SF completely support this too, thats what I just do not understand, also the independents and alphabet soup nutjobs haven't made a peep about it either.

I think they are scared to go against the "think of the children" crowd to be honest

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

I really hope a black market for alcohol comes out of this because I would 100% support it after being treated like a child like this. I am furious.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

VinLieger wrote: »
    But their ideological enemies ie. SF completely support this too, thats what I just do not understand, also the independents and alphabet soup nutjobs haven't made a peep about it either.

I think they are scared to go against the "think of the children" crowd to be honest

Dr Frank Murray on radio now literally just said think of the children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Zebra3 wrote: »

That’s it in a nutshell.

Paschals shares in Diageo will soar in value.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭KrustyUCC

Ireland has the fourth highest alcohol prices in Europe, and the highest prices among the 28 EU member states as it is.

You can get a can of beer in Spain for 39c Graffenwalder from Lidl. The same can will now be €2.00 in Ireland. Same brand same product

Stupid to think that the same can has 5 times more harm in Ireland than in Spain

All that will happen is that ‘cheaper’ cans at the moment will rise to €2.00 ... then the likes of Heineken etc will just rise by as much again

A normal bottle of cheap Aldi,Lidl,Tesco vodka or whiskey will now be over €20.00
    Of course Jameson, Powers etc will just go up as well

€7.50 minimum for a bottle of wine ... madness

This is not a Health Bill. It’s all about trying to get people back to the pubs

Supporting Irish Pubs: Fine Gael recognises the importance of the Irish pub for tourism, rural jobs and as a social outlet in communities across the country. We will support the local pub by banning the practice of below cost selling on alcohol, particularly by large supermarkets and the impact this has had on alcohol consumption and the viability of pubs

http://www.thejournal.ie/minimum-unit-pricing-alcohol-ireland-facts-2932210-Aug2016/

FactCheck: Is minimum unit alcohol pricing "proven" to work?
    Health Promotion Minister Marcella Corcoran Kennedy made a big claim about the effectiveness of the government’s alcohol policy, this week. We tested it.
    Claim: Minimum unit alcohol pricing has been proven to reduce health harms, elsewhere in the world
    Verdict: Mostly FALSE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

elperello wrote: »
    Dr Frank Murray

I always find him incredibly condescending and difficult to listen to, even Pat Kenny today called him out on being elitist with his comment that the poor people will be the ones that benefit more from the proposed measures.

I really hope a black market for alcohol comes out of this because I would 100% support it after being treated like a child like this. I am furious.

A black market will definitely popup but tbh i wouldnt go near anything from it as you literally cannot tell whats gonna be in it.

I would seriously recommend visiting these sites

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/
    https://www.homebrewwest.ie/

A black market will definitely popup but tbh i wouldnt go near anything from it as you literally cannot tell whats gonna be in it.

I'm not going to be buying dodgy looking grog in an old Country Spring bottle, I meant people importing trays of cans etc from Europe and selling them out of the back of a van. If anyone comes across this service, holla!

• Advertisement

I've been toying with the home brew idea for a while, a guy at work brings in bottles sometimes and it's really delicious. Is it a very precise difficult process?

I've been toying with the home brew idea for a while, a guy at work brings in bottles sometimes and it's really delicious. Is it a very precise difficult process?

Nope its super simple, you can get more complicated if you want but its a piece of piss to get started

Nope its super simple, you can get more complicated if you want but its a piece of piss to get started

http://www.thehomebrewcompany.ie/beer-cider-starter-equipment-c-4.html

One of these maybe... I have a spare room in my house, 'tis written in the stars

From around the start of the recession til 2013ish there was a black market starting around the border, a few bottling plants were done. By then though alcohol prices started falling a bit and I'm guessing they were no longer viable. They sure as **** will be again if this rubbish comes in though.
    I know the kind of people involved though so wouldn't partake. I'll switch to wine and make a nice little trip to France every year or two instead I think. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Guarantee that now that the publican lobby has got minimum pricing across the line that they'll take aim at home brewing next.

Flex wrote: »
    Guarantee that now that the publican lobby has got minimum pricing across the line that they'll take aim at home brewing next.

Ohh its definitely on their wish list

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

Lived in Australia for a few years, and prices in their 'bottle shops' are quite high. Guess what, people still buy from the off licence, flock to the pubs, it doesn't matter.

A standard case of beer is about AU$50 or €33.

https://www.liquorland.com.au/Beer?facets=pricevariant_NSW_variantpricerange%3dAbove+%2440

• Registered Users Posts: 14,883 ✭✭✭✭elperello

purcela wrote: »
    Lived in Australia for a few years, and prices in their 'bottle shops' are quite high. Guess what, people still buy from the off licence, flock to the pubs, it doesn't matter.

A standard case of beer is about AU$50 or €33.

https://www.liquorland.com.au/Beer?facets=pricevariant_NSW_variantpricerange%3dAbove+%2440

Thanks for the interesting link.
    I'm not familiar with the brand's but there are cheaper alternatives on that site ie
    24 case of German lager 330ml for 30 aus dollars.

Anyway l suppose a booze cruise is out of the question for them:)

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭purcela

I'm not familiar with the brand's but there are cheaper alternatives on that site ie

Bit of an expensive booze cruise alright. But to take a standard enough beer, a case of 24 x Corona (355ml bottles) is $52 / €34.

A case of a nice IPA can be over $70 / €46.

By the way I am also against this MUP bill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

But therein lies the question.

Will this MUP lead to a reduction in the amount of alcohol consumed, or simply an increase in the % of peoples income spent on it?

Continual increases in excise duties etc have never delivered more than a temporary reduction in consumption (it is the reason they are called the old reliables) but this legislation seems to turn that thinking on its head.

And for no gain to the exchequer. The only ones to gain from this are the 'premium' brands (I use that word pejoratively) since their lower priced competition will effectively be wiped out and the Vintners.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

hawkelady wrote: »
    I agree with you 100%..... but please do me one favour ,,, please pm me the number of the polish truck driver !!
    Me too.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

How much will 12 Peroni cost?

lawred2 wrote: »
    How much will 12 Peroni cost?

Volume*Percentage*0.789=gram of alcohol

*that by 0.10

330ml*5.1%*0.789= 13.27 gram of alcohol

*0.10 = €1.33 minimum

Minimum for 12 is €15.93

• Registered Users Posts: 24,357 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

KrustyUCC wrote: »
    Volume*Percentage*0.789=gram of alcohol

*that by 0.10

330ml*5.1%*0.789= 13.27 gram of alcohol

*0.10 = €1.33 minimum

Minimum for 12 is €15.93

usually costs more than that anyway

This bill will affect some products more than others

Take the example of Graffenwalder can in Lidl. 500 ml * 4.8% *0.789 * 0.10
    Currently €1.15

Will increase to €1.89 minimum

That is a 64.53% increase

That same can same product is 0.39c in Spain

So we will be paying 384.61% more for the same product

Nobody will convince me that the same can will do almost 4 times the same damage when in Ireland as opposed to Spain

Health bill me hole

• Registered Users Posts: 15,594 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

lawred2 wrote: »
    usually costs more than that anyway

Well, you're alright then so.

Except that Fink Brau (or whatever brand in Lidl etc) will now be that price. Why would Peroni not stick to the current pricing model (certain % above the less premium level).

Pricing is all relative, so if the 'cheap' beer is now going from €10 to €15 and you are happy to pay a current gap of €5 for the premium brand why would you no longer be prepared to pay that gap. That is what the likes of Peroni will be banking on

According to the irish times the plan is to bring in MUP at the same time as its brought in in Northern Ireland so that border shop owners dont suffer an exodus of shoppers heading north. For Stormont to bring in MUP means Stormont needs to be functioning. Currently its not.

Can't see that happening before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭6541

This really annoys me. I hate the way the government is essentially saying you can't be trusted with drinking so we are upping the cost. I will tell you here and now, I will buy all my booze on the black market and I will bring van loads down from the North.

• Advertisement

6541 wrote: »
    This really annoys me. I hate the way the government is essentially saying you can't be trusted with drinking so we are upping the cost. I will tell you here and now, I will buy all my booze on the black market and I will bring van loads down from the North.

Your inbox is about to overflow.

Advertisement