Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,950 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

ardinn wrote: »
    WOW - You sir have never drank in our place haha! What a backward uneducated view - Have you only ever been in the one pub is it??

Laughable!!!

Well fair dues if you do provide something free for your customers.

You say you are rural, I can tell you it doesn't happen in any urban pub I have been in, but I don't visit many to be fair!

Others may have a different experience, that is mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,595 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Well if pubs are offering what the customer wants why do they need state intervention?

This bill tries to address price when your own example shows that it is the offering that is a problem.

And if this guy went from 3 pints ans a half 3 nights a week to 7 btls of Jameson, he has a serious problem he needs intervention not to be brought back to the pub

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    but I don't visit many to be fair!

If you dont visit many - and im trying to be nice here, the your opinion means very little.

Why are you commenting on what pubs should be doing when you are very rarely in them. You have been in this thread telling businesses what should be happening and what the problems are when clearly you have very little experience as a customer and absolutely none from business end of it!

No offence but it's maddening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Which is good.
    Stopping supermarkets from selling cheap lager and gutrot wine will also help to bring consumption levels down.

This is a good news story and should be lauded as such.

Cheap lager?? We’ve the second highest prices in Europe. How come we don’t have the second lowest consumption if price is what affects drinking habits? There is zero evidence that MUP cuts alcohol consumption. And “gutrot wine”?? Helen Lovejoyesque nonsense.

See the point is - You are limited financially in a pub, unless you have above average disposable income. And also, if you get locked in my pub i'll stop serving you and send you home, if you go to another pub the likelihood is you will be refused entry.

Example

A man used to drink in our place 3 nights a week, he'd have 3 pints and a half one and he would head home. he is an older man and needs his car, so when the big drink drive push happened he stopped drinking in the pub and started at home.

This man now buys a btl of Jameson EVERY day, has no social interaction in the evenings apart from talking to his dogs and is completely isolated where he is.

Now, this is a drink drive issue, but it shows what happens when people can buy cheap drink and consume with no time limit (closing time) no supervisions (barmen) very little price constraint (the bottle of J served in the pub as 35.5ml shots would be over €70)

That man would be a far healthier, happier, and better looked after by the community should he be in the pub 3 nights a week! No doubt about it.

Ah anecdotal evidence. The best kind.

• Advertisement

Leroy42 wrote: »
    Well if pubs are offering what the customer wants why do they need state intervention?

This bill tries to address price when your own example shows that it is the offering that is a problem.

And if this guy went from 3 pints ans a half 3 nights a week to 7 btls of Jameson, he has a serious problem he needs intervention not to be brought back to the pub

The state needs the intervention moreso than the pubs tbh - the figures speak for themselves

5,800 direct jobs from the off licence sector

160,000 + direct jobs from the bar/restaurant/nightclub sector

One is failing - there can be no avoiding the catastrophic effect the collapse of the drinks industry would have in Ireland. (not that it's collapsing - just sayin :D )

Ah anecdotal evidence. The best kind.

anecdote
    noun
    a short amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person.

Not sure you grasp the word "anecdote"

The state needs the intervention moreso than the pubs tbh - the figures speak for themselves

5,800 direct jobs from the off licence sector

160,000 + direct jobs from the bar/restaurant/nightclub sector

One is failing - there can be no avoiding the catastrophic effect the collapse of the drinks industry would have in Ireland. (not that it's collapsing - just sayin :D )

It’s not the job of the govt to prop up an industry that’s failing. That they are trying to is pathetic.

If you dont visit many - and im trying to be nice here, the your opinion means very little.

Why are you commenting on what pubs should be doing when you are very rarely in them. You have been in this thread telling businesses what should be happening and what the problems are when clearly you have very little experience as a customer and absolutely none from business end of it!

No offence but it's maddening!

Is once a fortnight or so OK with you? Everyone's views are valid.

Sounds to me like everyone has to be in a pub every night of the week to have an opinion..:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,884 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Cheap lager?? We’ve the second highest prices in Europe. How come we don’t have the second lowest consumption if price is what affects drinking habits? There is zero evidence that MUP cuts alcohol consumption. And “gutrot wine”?? Helen Lovejoyesque nonsense.

A lot of the supermarket wine that some people look down on and call rot gut etc. is also sold as house wine in pubs or restaurants at three times the price.

Amazingly it is transformed by a flowery description on the wine list.

• Advertisement

anecdote
    noun
    a short amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person.

Not sure you grasp the word "anecdote"

“Anecdotal evidence”. Here’s a link. I’m not sure you grasp what it means.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

It’s not the job of the govt to prop up an industry that’s failing. That they are trying to is pathetic.

They are not.

They are trying to stop access to your weekly limit of alcohol for less than €5 which can be achieved.

It's a health bill more than anything, im just backing up my argument with job statistics :D

They are not.

They are trying to stop access to your weekly limit of alcohol for less than €5 which can be achieved.

It's a health bill more than anything, im just backing up my argument with job statistics :D

So protecting poor people from themselves?? And it’s no more a health bill than it is a transport bill. It’s a sop to the vintners.

“Anecdotal evidence”. Here’s a link. I’m not sure you grasp what it means.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anecdotal_evidence

I'll take oxfords definition over wiki's.

I'm not sure how first hand accounts and experience can be a bad thing. Unless of course your calling me a Liar!!

They are not.

You are very brave to say that. No one believes it for a minute though. Otherwise pubs/off licenses would be closed and prohibition would be in tomorrow if they were really serious about it.

But it is a cultural experience to get pished in an Oirish Pub I suppose, as opposed to having a few beers at home.

I'm not sure how first hand accounts and experience can be a bad thing. Unless of course your calling me a Liar!!

Not a liar, but “Where only one or a few anecdotes are presented, there is a larger chance that they may be unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases. Similarly, psychologists have found that due to cognitive bias people are more likely to remember notable or unusual examples rather than typical examples.”

Another irony is the extra loot from this bill goes to the provider. Not to general tax coffers for drink awarness etc., apart from VAT. Would have been good use of the extra dosh, but no it won't work that way at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,334 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

No one actually believes that. Fine Gael don't even think people believe that.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

But its only a health bill for people with lower incomes. Those with higher disposable incomes won't really suffer.

Or those that currently only drink in pubs. So the health ills are all caused by the off licence trade? Are you really suggesting that pubs have no impact on the effects of alcohol across Ireland?

We have always (or at least as far I a have been aware) had higher than average alcoholic consumption, yet Offys etc have only real come into major play in the last 20 or so years. So what was the cause of alcohol problems before that?

In terms of btls, there is simply no justifcation for a pub to charge €4+ euro for product I can get in the Offy for €1.50. The only justification is that your costs are higher. Yeah well guess what, people used to buy holidays by going to travel agent but now they do it online.

The business model has changed and pubs are failing to accept that. They now want to wipe out the competition to prolong their dominance and profit making.

So protecting poor people from themselves?? And it’s no more a health bill than it is a transport bill. It’s a sop to the vintners.

It is a far cry from a sop to the vintners - the vintners have struggled to get anything from the last 3 governments bar keeping the vat on drink down no price increases during budgets. Any other recommendation / proposal have been waved away. The drink industry is not popular, the government and vintners have been at loggerheads since the smoking ban.

Can I just add in relation to the vintners for those who dont know.

The vintners is the union who represent publicans in Ireland. VFI
    They do not represent pubs in dublin - Thats the Lva
    They are made up primarily of small, family owned and run establishments employing 10 people or less.
    They do not represent restaurants - Thats the RAI
    They, like any other group try to protect the livlihoods of it's members, that should not be frowned upon, it's the same as that ASTI or INMO

The hate for the organization is baffling.

• Advertisement

Not a liar, but “Where only one or a few anecdotes are presented, there is a larger chance that they may be unreliable due to cherry-picked or otherwise non-representative samples of typical cases. Similarly, psychologists have found that due to cognitive bias people are more likely to remember notable or unusual examples rather than typical examples.”

ok thanks for that!

So the health ills are all caused by the off licence trade??

I didnt read the rest of your post after this bit.

I'd just like to highlight it for anyone who missed it.

This is what we have to deal with!

The hate for the organization is baffling.

Its not hate, just that people see it for what it is. A group trying to protect itself.

Nothing inherently wrong in that, we all do it, but putting out spurious argument about health etc when it is the very group that needs more people to drink more to keep them in business.

Even your mention of the loggerheads since the smoking ban. Why are you at loggerheads. That is a positive step for everyone. But it hit your trade so you (VFI not you personally) don't like it, to hell with the health benefits.

So can't you understand why people are slow to jump on board your 'its for the health of the nation' stance?

Its not hate, just that people see it for what it is. A group trying to protect itself.

Nothing inherently wrong in that, we all do it, but putting out spurious argument about health etc when it is the very group that needs more people to drink more to keep them in business.

Even your mention of the loggerheads since the smoking ban. Why are you at loggerheads. That is a positive step for everyone. But it hit your trade so you (VFI not you personally) don't like it, to hell with the health benefits.

So can't you understand why people are slow to jump on board your 'its for the health of the nation' stance?

We love it now in fairness, any publican will tell you its better.

But, it did do exactly what we said it would, it pushed a lot of people out of the pub who never came back

Its undeniable. It adversely affected our trade, but we wouldnt go back all the same!!

I didnt read the rest of your post after this bit.

I'd just like to highlight it for anyone who missed it.

This is what we have to deal with!

Whats your problem with it? You are saying that MUP will be better for everyones health (except those that can afford to ignore it) and you have also made the point that drinking in pubs is the better option that drinking at home.

Since drinking in pubs was by far the more usual way years ago, how come so many of the same problems existed then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,415 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

I am, ya. What’s your point pal?

I would say your the life and soul of charades night..........

p.s. I am not your pal..........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭Kat1170

They are not.

From the Fine Gale Manifesto, Page 26,Sec 5, Community and Rural Affairs.Sub sec. 5.3, Keeping Communities Vibrant.

Supporting Irish Pubs: Fine Gael recognises the importance of the Irish pub for tourism, rural jobs and as a social outlet in communities across the country. We will support the local pub by banning the practice of below cost selling on alcohol, particularly by large supermarkets and the impact this has had on alcohol consumption and the viability of pub

HERE

You can, with all my heartfelt sincerity stick the HEALTH argument where the sun don't shine :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Kat1170 wrote: »
    From the Fine Gale Manifesto, Page 26,Sec 5, Community and Rural Affairs.Sub sec. 5.3, Keeping Communities Vibrant.

Supporting Irish Pubs: Fine Gael recognises the importance of the Irish pub for tourism, rural jobs and as a social outlet in communities across the country. We will support the local pub by banning the practice of below cost selling on alcohol, particularly by large supermarkets and the impact this has had on alcohol consumption and the viability of pub

HERE

You can, with all my heartfelt sincerity stick the HEALTH argument where the sun don't shine :mad::mad::mad::mad:

Below cost selling of alcohol is a different matter there fella, that came in with the groceries order - this is minimum unit pricing, as a binge drinking countermeasure. under a different heading.

your quoting 6yr old stuff that never happened - get your sh1t together before spouting rubbish!

Kat1170 wrote: »

And if you cant converse without insults then ill just hit the ignore button!

:pac::confused::cool::mad::o:):rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Where did I say I was behind the legislation - please point that out for me, I'll wait - you take your time. Your pig can help!

Sorry, I perhaps jumped the gun a bit in assuming you supported the legislation. It's prob the repeating of the "all the evilsof alcohol stems from the ones sold outside the pub" speil you're sticking to.

You claim no one binges drinks in pubs. I reckon that's crap. Let's move on.

If this detrimentally effects off Licences, how does that equate to win win??

I shall also wait for this answer, should be a good one!!

Where have I ever claimed it would be detrimental to the off sales industry?

I would imagine that those who don't bother anymore , or source it elsewhere will be offset by the higher profit margins.

If an off licence buys a six pack of Dutch gold for (I don't have a clue what margins are on drink, so this is hypotheticall) €3.50, and it retails at €6

If MUP successfully gets over the line, and Dutch gold must now be sold at 1.80 a can.

Off license still buys at 3.50, and now is legally obliged to sell at 10.80€.

That's some jump in profit margins (I wish I could get a govt intervention for my business)

Now, in saying that, had the govt actually have our health interests at heart, that price increase could have been achieved via a tax on alcohol levy, extra revenue used for treatment centre's/counselling/rehabilitation and re-education.

But you can't tax alcohol in one establishment, and not the other. IE the pubs that FG vowed to protect the viability of would take a hit too.

In short.

Health my hole.

Advertisement