Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,950 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It won't bother me, as I buy high end from the off license anyway. But chances are that price will increase to stay high end. No matter, I can afford it and will live with it.

I would just like to know what the advantage of a pub is really? Can anyone explain...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    Legalise cannabis for an immediate 30% reduction in harmful drinking. No downsides to the policy, except that publicans won't make money.

Great idea. Replace drink drivers with stoned drivers. Cancel the anti smoking campaigns too.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Why do people go on about weed when people are discussing alcohol? They have nothing to do with each other! If they legalised weed I wouldn't stop drinking because of its availability ffs, totally different drugs. Anyway it's really easy to get weed in Ireland these days so who cares if it's legal or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,884 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Why do people go on about weed when people are discussing alcohol? They have nothing to do with each other! If they legalised weed I wouldn't stop drinking because of its availability ffs, totally different drugs. Anyway it's really easy to get weed in Ireland these days so who cares if it's legal or not?

Agreed.
    Believe it or not lot of people drink because they enjoy the taste.
    They appreciate the different types of beer, wine and spirits.
    Their enjoyment has nothing to do with mind altering or getting drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,138 ✭✭✭mistersifter

TheChizler wrote: »
    Well if you buy Heineken by the can it's €5 per litre normally, so not very expensive from that point of view. It'll only affect the deals and dirt cheap beer really.

So essentially they're trying to stop people buying slabs for €24.

it's 2.50 per litre at the minute in tesco - a tray for 30euro. More often than not there is an offer either on cans or bottles for around 3euro per litre so I've never really paid 5 per litre for Heineken or any run of the mill lager. Seems 3.44 will be the special offer price in the future if that's the minimum.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭my poor tortured hands

elperello wrote: »
    Agreed.

For some people weed is a substitute for alcohol. I did say 30% after all, didn't I?, not 100%

I smoke weed everyday and hardly drink at all. If I didn't have weed I'd be drinking instead. I find the downsides of drinking much worse than those of smoking. I use a bong and it's great. Not perfectly healthy but reasonably ok.

Stoned drivers can perform well in driving simulators whereas drunk drivers can't. We should make laws on evidence.

In Colorado where weed is legal for recreational use they have noticed a drop in alcohol problems.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

For some people weed is a substitute for alcohol. I did say 30% after all, didn't I?, not 100%

I smoke weed everyday and hardly drink at all. If I didn't have weed I'd be drinking instead. I find the downsides of drinking much worse than those of smoking. I use a bong and it's great. Not perfectly healthy but reasonably ok.

Stoned drivers can perform well in driving simulators whereas drunk drivers can't. We should make laws on evidence.

In Colorado where weed is legal for recreational use they have noticed a drop in alcohol problems.

well personally my head is in bits and can't concentrate or wake up the next day after smoking weed. I don't relate alcohol and weed at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,879 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

elperello wrote: »
    Agreed.

So true. I enjoy one beer every evening. I am never drunk, I don't binge so why should I have to pay more when the supermarket don't want to charge me more ?

If you drink to excess & cost the services money, you should have to pay it back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 610 ✭✭✭kerrylad1

I work in a student village,I was joking with them Friday, about the government increase in alcohol,Their reply was,(I will just get,3 E,s for €10 instead..

Discodog wrote: »
    So true. I enjoy one beer every evening. I am never drunk, I don't binge so why should I have to pay more when the supermarket don't want to charge me more ?

If you drink to excess & cost the services money, you should have to pay it back.

You will be paying more because FG FF SF LAB and various other politicians voted for this nonsense.

They were lobbied by a variety of medics, charities, ngos, state bodies, publicans,off licence operators and others who support the idea of you paying more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,908 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ardinn wrote: »
    The 9% rate is on food - again - go do your research and stop this rubbish your talking and making up!

Im fully aware what the 9% is on. Are you saying your pub turned it down?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's interesting that this thread seems to have more posts than the housing/homeless issue.

Just goes to show where our priorities lie as a nation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

Spirits isn't being affected by this at all. So that blows the health issue right out of the water !!
    Just buy a bottle of vodka and get proper drunk if there's not much of a difference in price .. the bill is just to keep ardinn and his publicans pals happy

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It's interesting that this thread seems to have more posts than the housing/homeless issue.

Ahh people can't have multiple issues.

Got it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

And??? Feel free to harp on over in those threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭TheChizler

hawkelady wrote: »
    Spirits isn't being affected by this at all. So that blows the health issue right out of the water !!
    37.5% spirits will now be €21 minimum for 700 mL so it'll affect the non premium brands and special offers.

Any time I buy vodka on the way to a party is cause I see a special offer so I'll most likely buy less.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,756 ✭✭✭buried

lol True, if the government can bring in a minimum price for drink what's stopping them bringing in a maximum price for buying/renting a place to live?

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

listermint wrote: »
    Im fully aware what the 9% is on. Are you saying your pub turned it down?

We are talking about alcohol - not food - If your fully aware of what it's on why did you bring it up in a thread about MUP on Alcohol.

And that was lobbied for by the Restaurants association not the vintners.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

We are talking about alcohol - not food - If your fully aware of what it's on why did you bring it up in a thread about MUP on Alcohol.

Can I ask that in the event of your off licence closing as a result of this legislation will you be happy?
    Also do you envisage increasing the price of your on trade drinks, to in a way piggy back on this legislation.
    I live in a large commuter town in Cork and it has always baffled me how the price of a pint always increases uniformly in every 'competing' pub on the exact same day and costs the exact same price in each of the 14 pubs allegedly competing with each other.
    How this cannot be described as a cartel baffles me.

Can I ask that in the event of your off licence closing as a result of this legislation will you be happy?

Why would I be happy? Our off licence is located in a convenience store so is not the main part of the business, but is a large part none the less. We are a standalone entity, have no buying power like tesco or chain brands so we were always slightly higher in price than competitors. the legislation will not interfere so much with our business as we are in the convenience market and not the low cost market so to speak! we dont stock many low cost high % drinks anyway!

Also do you envisage increasing the price of your on trade drinks, to in a way piggy back on this legislation.

No - a few years ago we tried to introduce a price freeze on beverages so nobody could put the price up and everyone went mental, with the competition authority declaring it illegal!

The vintners have lobbied with the government and suppliers and have staved off vat and supplier price increases for over 6 years - until this year when diageo increased their prices.

Despite what people think the vintners try exceptionally hard and do a lot of work behind the scenes to keep the cost of alcohol as low as possible.
    I live in a large commuter town in Cork and it has always baffled me how the price of a pint always increases uniformly in every 'competing' pub on the exact same day and costs the exact same price in each of the 14 pubs allegedly competing with each other.
    How this cannot be described as a cartel baffles me.

It certainly seems to me they are working in tandem - report it!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

hawkelady wrote: »
    And??? Feel free to harp on over in those threads.

I'm free to express my opinions, thank you very much. If alcohol is more important than critical housing issues then that's very sad. Typical antagonistic AH response.

You were wining about having no government supports when the industry got a massive one.

Does your pub do food?

Did you turn down the rebate?

Will you stop wining about not getting looked after by your government buddy's.?

I'm free to express my opinions, thank you very much. If alcohol is more important than critical housing issues then that's very sad. Typical antagonistic AH response.

Who said it's more important?

Oh yes. Just you.

That's who.

Typical single issue response.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

https://www.joe.ie/amp/news/dail-bar-tab-606299

Our politicians want to save us from ourselves while they run up huge bar bills in the Dail.

"€31,000 was owed to the Oireachtas at the end of August from food and drink served in the Dáil.
    An unnamed TD ran up a bar tab of over €1,200 for food and drink in the Dáil in July and August, a period in which the Dáil only sat for eight days.

Figures released to The Sunday Times under freedom of information legislation also revealed that another TD had an outstanding bill of €1,500 by the end of August, a bill that had been unpaid for over two months at that stage."

listermint wrote: »
    You were wining about having no government supports when the industry got a massive one. Me specifically??

Does your pub do food? no

Did you turn down the rebate? Rebate????

Will you stop wining about not getting looked after by your government buddy's.?
    Where did I "wine" (geddit)

:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

https://www.joe.ie/amp/news/dail-bar-tab-606299

Our politicians want to save us from ourselves while they run up huge bar bills in the Dail.

"€31,000 was owed to the Oireachtas at the end of August from food and drink served in the Dáil.
    An unnamed TD ran up a bar tab of over €1,200 for food and drink in the Dáil in July and August, a period in which the Dáil only sat for eight days.

Figures released to The Sunday Times under freedom of information legislation also revealed that another TD had an outstanding bill of €1,500 by the end of August, a bill that had been unpaid for over two months at that stage."

They have no shame.

TD's on €90,000 plus expenses voted to increase the price of a few cans for an old age pensioner maybe living on his own out the country who can't even get to a pub.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

I thought he was taking the piss to be honest. Im not dismissing everyone - I have answered over 12 different people in this thread numerous times. I'll happily stay here and argue the point, but not with some of the people who are simply yodeling about there dutch gold going up and cant actually hold a proper conversation!

You haven't engaged though, you've behaved like a child and declared you are ignoring anyone who disagrees with you.

You did that after me replying to you once btw.

Now any chance you could address my original post which shows categorically that this has never had anything to do with public health?

VinLieger wrote: »
    You haven't engaged though, you've behaved like a child and declared you are ignoring anyone who disagrees with you.

You did that after me replying to you once btw.

Now any chance you could address my original post which shows categorically that this has never had anything to do with public health?

I certainly have engaged. That is not a fair statement.

I'm not behaving like a child either - If someone is annoying or insulting or whatever and I choose not to engage with that person thats my right, if you dont like it thats your issue to be fair!

Finally I cant even remember your post nor do I have a desire to go look for it.

Im not trawling through fg's "old" manifesto either if thats what this is in relation to - if you have a question ask it and if you have a source, link it and quote it!

I dont have to answer anything here by the way - you seem to think and behave like im on trial here or owe you something?! It's beyond baffling your demanding me to engage with you like we are at some town hall meeting!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 61 ✭✭my poor tortured hands

Getting high on your own supply perhaps

• Advertisement

Getting high on your own supply perhaps

Havnt time

Advertisement