Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Ardinn have a look at my post over the page about the formation of a bulk buying cartel - in all honesty why has this not been considered? Strikes me as a no brainer in terms of negotiating power.

And also, do you have any comment on what is in my opinion obvious and shameless fleecing going on in the Temple Bar area - where I recently paid €7.20 for a pint of guinness? A five minute walk around the corner onto Dame St and I could have had the same pint for €4.50. That's a markup which is in my view impossible to justify, unless the rents being paid in Temple Bar are utterly astronomical compared to the rents paid just a few streets over...

To be fair, that's the same in any tourist heavy area.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,474 ✭✭✭valoren

There is an archived story on RTE currently from 1972. In the report it is mentioned that 11% of all money spent in Ireland was on drink. Golden times indeed.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,596 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Ipso wrote: »
    The only way they will stop is if people stop paying the price.

Well in terms of Temple Bar it is the same as any tourist trap.

in terms of the price gouging when people stop buying, it seems that people have stopped buying (at least as much) in pubs in recent years but the plan by Vintners seems to be just to carry on regardless and try to stifle competition by other means.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    Ipso wrote: »
    The only way they will stop is if people stop paying the price.

Exactly - why on earth would you go somewhere that does thet??

Beyond stupid!

Ardinn have a look at my post over the page about the formation of a bulk buying cartel - in all honesty why has this not been considered? Strikes me as a no brainer in terms of negotiating power.

And also, do you have any comment on what is in my opinion obvious and shameless fleecing going on in the Temple Bar area - where I recently paid €7.20 for a pint of guinness? A five minute walk around the corner onto Dame St and I could have had the same pint for €4.50. That's a markup which is in my view impossible to justify, unless the rents being paid in Temple Bar are utterly astronomical compared to the rents paid just a few streets over...

As I said anyone who pays 7;20 for a pint deserves to be poor.

If you look at the bulk buy thing - It would need an infrastructure - delivery drivers, trucks, admin - by the time you'd be finished it would probably be dearer!

Even if you ran it to break dead even - do you think diageo would give a discount to a company like that where all its customers are - they would refuse to deal with it - they basically have the only product available (that people want - you can fanny on about craft beers all you like 99% of people want a pint of guinness or carlsberg etc!) Im not saying it's impossible - but would require a massive investment and buying power into the millions of euro!

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

My local is 12 for a double gin and tonic and thats not a city center pub. Just a run of the mill pub. 9.6 is not the norm in dublin for a double gin and tonic. No way near it. A large bottle of bulmers is 6 euro. I wont name the put but is empty during the week as pub has refused to lower prices. And the prices have gone up in the last six years. Pubs have had for two long have had it to good. Not increasing prices ( thats not true) for years is nothing to be proud of. When they went up so much previous. We have one of the highest drink prices in europe.

Pubs where happy with price increase's in the good times. Suppliers/pubs have tried to stop Witherspoons coming in for a long time as it shows up what a rip off the industry is. Theres to many pubs as people going to pubs has decreased so it go's without saying some will close. My local has only ever increased prices even though business has fallen. Makes no sense.

Anyway pubs lobbying this bill is for only one reason to increase business. Maybe if drink became more affordable they would increase business. Also one thing if pubs where concerned about responsible drinking why is the price of soft drinks in pubs such a rip off. 3 euro standard of a coke. Laughable.

My local is 12 for a double gin and tonic and thats not a city center pub. Just a run of the mill pub. 9.6 is not the norm in dublin for a double gin and tonic. No way near it. A large bottle of bulmers is 6 euro. I wont name the put but is empty during the week as pub has refused to lower prices. And the prices have gone up in the last six years. Pubs have had for two long have had it to good. Not increasing prices ( thats not true) for years is nothing to be proud of. When they went up so much previous. We have one of the highest drink prices in europe.

Pubs where happy with price increase's in the good times. Suppliers/pubs have tried to stop Witherspoons coming in for a long time as it shows up what a rip off the industry is. Theres to many pubs as people going to pubs has decreased so it go's without saying some will close. My local has only ever increased prices even though business has fallen. Makes no sense.

Anyway pubs lobbying this bill is for only one reason to increase business. Maybe if drink became more affordable they would increase business. Also one thing if pubs where concerned about responsible drinking why is the price of soft drinks in pubs such a rip off. 3 euro standard of a coke. Laughable.

I have said numerous times in this thread im not in dublin, and the vfi dont even opertate up there so with every example I get from dublin I cant comment really!

Owryan wrote: »
    Lads, pretty sure

Pretty sure your wrong :D

ardinn wrote: »

If you look at the bulk buy thing - It would need an infrastructure - delivery drivers, trucks, admin - by the time you'd be finished it would probably be dearer!

Even if you ran it to break dead even - do you think diageo would give a discount to a company like that where all its customers are - they would refuse to deal with it - they basically have the only product available (that people want - you can fanny on about craft beers all you like 99% of people want a pint of guinness or carlsberg etc!) Im not saying it's impossible - but would require a massive investment and buying power into the millions of euro!

Tell diageo to take a hike, there are other wholesalers to buy Budweiser and Guinness from.

Tell diageo to take a hike, there are other wholesalers to buy Budweiser and Guinness from.

You do realize they buy it from Diageo??

• Advertisement

You do realize they buy it from Diageo??

Yes, but you're buying it from them not diageo. You might get a deal, maybe not. Import it from the UK, even when duty etc is paid it might still be cheaper. I haven't checked this so could well be wrong.
    Still, I don't see why pubs can't drop the prices. Off licences have wages and bills/rates to pay too, so I'm not buying the overheads excuse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Owryan wrote: »

Usually does his whining on liveline

They may not be X but it strongly suspect they are closely related or involved with him.
    Mod note: Enough trying to identify somebody on here or link a poster with somebody in the news. Stop now!

Buford T. Justice.

Yes, but you're buying it from them not diageo. You might get a deal, maybe not. Import it from the UK, even when duty etc is paid it might still be cheaper. I haven't checked this so could well be wrong.
    Still, I don't see why pubs can't drop the prices. Off licences have wages and bills/rates to pay too, so I'm not buying the overheads excuse.

Any wholsaler supplying diageo products in kegs is usually €10 dearer on that keg. NONE of them are cheaper - So yes your wrong there.

I gave many examples of overheads certainly not being the same in previous posts - I wont go back over them but if you scroll back you will see how much the difference actually is - and it is not small money in anyones opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

We can around in circles. I know and everyone knows pubs where ripping people off for years. I live in Dublin. So i they have for a fact. Prices have gone up in the last six years. Anyway this bill is purely for the publicans/vinters. It wont tackle a drink problem that is on the decline anyway. Pubs had it so good during the good times. Recession over the last years has meant people have cut back on all spending. Theres to many pubs. So like all industries some will go by the way side. The industry in changing so move with the times. A lot will go out of business before they do it.

Punishing people because they don't want to go to pubs and pay over the odds for drink is wrong imo.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

They can hike up the price of drink all the want but it's still a hell of lot cheaper to buy from the off licence than it is to go out every weekend on the town. Also when you take into account taxi's, admission fees for clubs, takeaways etc ...
    This new bill will hurt the pub trade even more, and rightly so greedy fkn publicans.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭KaiserGunner

Leroy42

But i'll be fúcked if im going to listen to the pure and utter scutter spouted by some of the yokes on this thread over there dutch gold goin up €1:30 odd on their fiver!

That’s a 26% increase!! Massive increase in any language ffs. I don’t drink the stuff, but that’s a ridiculous sentence and nullifys any of your points and sympathy for the costs to the pub trade.

That’s a 26% increase!! Massive increase in any language ffs. I don’t drink the stuff, but that’s a ridiculous sentence and nullifys any of your points and sympathy for the costs to the pub trade.

I have never asked for sympathy - or anything of the sort - Im just answering questions :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

A consortium of Dublin pubs led by Louis Fitzgerald I think tried that a few years ago but Diageo refused to deal with them.
    The company running the bars in Lansdowne road made no secret that they are bringing Guinness in from the Uk as it's cheaper for them.
    Doesn't stop them charging eye watering prices though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

Lidl have half price cans of Heineken today for those of you looking to stay out of the pub.
    I've picked up some and will now drink less tonight compared to if i were going out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

dan1895 wrote: »
    Lidl have half price cans of Heineken today for those of you looking to stay out of the pub.
    I've picked up some and will now drink less tonight compared to if i were going out.

How much? Does it come in an 8 pack or something??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,597 ✭✭✭dan1895

hawkelady wrote: »
    How much? Does it come in an 8 pack or something??

1.07 per can. Sold by the can.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭elperello

dan1895 wrote: »
    1.07 per can. Sold by the can.

Nice one dan!
    That is the market working, something our neo prohibitionist politicians just can't stand.
    Your simple pleasure of enjoying a beer at home at the market price won't survive MUP.

I wonder could this bill be challenged under State Aid Rules?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

There is so much wrong in the above I genuinely dont know where to begin.

You are wrong about everything above.

I'm not sure I have seen so many wrongs in one post.

I'll give you a bombay Gin and Schweppes Tonic for €5.80 - €15/16??? - Are you confusing Ireland with Monaco - Laughable - Idiotic post in all it's point! Of course im sure one or two pubs charge the above - it says a lot that you actually paid it!

I can guarantee everything in my post is correct and the truth.
    1. The reasons for Diageo and Heineken falling out with Wetherspoons in Ireland are correct. It subsequently caused a alling out between Heninekn UK and Wetherspoons UK that forced Heineken Ireland to do a deal with Wetherspoons Ireland to supply Murphys Stout, (but not Heineken)
    2. Everything I stated regards mixers is correct
    3. As another pointed out, in your hurry to express faux outrage you misread my post regards the double gin and tonic comparison. However, even in my example, you charge €9.60 (since you didnt specifically mention Bombay, I assume you mean Cork Dry Gin or Gordons) for a double gin and tonic, which even if you bought from O Briens, rather than a wholesaler or supplier means youre charging €9.60 for something that the cost of supply (including VAT and excise) to you is €3.35 (buying in an off license instead of from a wholesaler of direct from a supplier, which would be significantly cheaper again for you)

If you can specifically challenge any of my post rather than a lazy "...so much wrong in the above I genuinely dont know where to begin. You are wrong about everything above.", please do. If you can prove me wrong Ill admit I was wrong, acknowledge the error and withdraw my comment. I believe you cant though, otherwise you would have. Everyone knows what the game is with Irish publicans, and youve even alluded to it yourself in your posts already

Flex wrote: »
    I can guarantee everything in my post is correct and the truth.
    1. The reasons for Diageo and Heineken falling out with Wetherspoons in Ireland are correct. It subsequently caused a alling out between Heninekn UK and Wetherspoons UK that forced Heineken Ireland to do a deal with Wetherspoons Ireland to supply Murphys Stout, (but not Heineken)
    2. Everything I stated regards mixers is correct
    3. As another pointed out, in your hurry to express faux outrage you misread my post regards the double gin and tonic comparison. However, even in my example, you charge €9.60 (since you didnt specifically mention Bombay, I assume you mean Cork Dry Gin or Gordons) for a double gin and tonic, which even if you bought from O Briens, rather than a wholesaler or supplier means youre charging €9.60 for something that the cost of supply (including VAT and excise) to you is €3.35 (buying in an off license instead of from a wholesaler of direct from a supplier, which would be significantly cheaper again for you)

If you can specifically challenge any of my post rather than a lazy "...so much wrong in the above I genuinely dont know where to begin. You are wrong about everything above.", please do. If you can prove me wrong Ill admit I was wrong, acknowledge the error and withdraw my comment. I believe you cant though, otherwise you would have. Everyone knows what the game is with Irish publicans, and youve even alluded to it yourself in your posts already

Beamish Stout, not Murphy's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭Flex

Beamish Stout, not Murphy's.

My error, thank you 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 6,685 ✭✭✭flutered

I have never asked for sympathy - or anything of the sort - Im just answering questions :D
    in my area is is common to see publicans stock up in supermarkets, their mark up must be terrific, does the tax man never sees the till take of these folk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Isn't the entire thing originating from a Fine Gael declaration that they would protect the pubs?

And now they're implementing it.

So how on earth is it going through under the veil of health?

Crazy what politicians can get away with. Not a single thing about this bill/law has anything to do with health.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,341 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Perhaps we should have a whiparound for Molson Coors, they lost over €4million here last year...
    THE IRISH WING of drinks giant Molson Coors recorded mounting losses last year despite a massive spike in turnover.

Molson Coors, a global drinks firm headquartered in North America, makes owns several well-known beer brands, including Coors Light, Miller Genuine Draft and Blue Moon.

The latest accounts for the US brewer’s local operation show that the company made a loss of just over €4 million last year.

http://www.thejournal.ie/molson-coors-miller-sales-3-3702086-Nov2017/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,885 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Perhaps we should have a whiparound for Molson Coors, they lost over €4million here last year...

http://www.thejournal.ie/molson-coors-miller-sales-3-3702086-Nov2017/

Not so quick there with the collection box!

"The firm’s directors noted that the shift from pub and restaurant alcohol sales to the lower-margin retail trade was a key risk to the company and the drinks industry in general.
    “Continuation or acceleration of these trends could adversely impact the company’s profitability,” the directors’ report said."

Advertisement