Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,951 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

And to cap it all, the extra revenue from MUP is not taxation, ah no, that would make too much sense, so qui bono?

MUP will increase the price for off sales, we all know that now, but I doubt it will encourage many to suddenly decide to go to a pub on the day this ridiculous law is passed either.

Even with the price increase, factor in the higher prices in pubs (and not a crisp or a peanut offered by the miserly Vintners either, feckers), public transport costs in, and a taxi home. Forget it.

Lots of people will just suck it up and I for one will never darken the door of a pub again, unless it is a family gathering or something like that.

What is the next thing on the agenda I wonder? Because sure as heck there is more in the pipeline!

Slainte and Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,736 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

10 pints in an evening is very doable.

By one person or does that include buying pints for others :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

mrcheez wrote: »

10 is very doable by one person.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

10 pints is still 60 bucks. You won't be paying over €6 for Guinness

RasTa wrote: »
    10 pints is still 60 bucks. You won't be paying over €6 for Guinness

I've been charged 7 for Guinness.

• Advertisement

1 person, 10 pints is easily done.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

By my calculation, that's close to 40 pints in 48 hours - are you Andre the Giant or something?

People in Ireland (from time to time) occasionally take other people to the pub with them, spouses/partners etc.

Hard to believe I know, but it does happen, I've even seen it with my own eyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,339 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Depends on the venue. I was charged 7 for a pint of Guinness recently. I'm also assuming the poster bought a drink for someone during the night. I've seen a "fancy" G&T on a menu for €14. 10 pints in an evening is very doable.

It's a while since I've gotten change from a fiver for the black stuff in Dublin city centre.

He said 100 on each night - not combined!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

My record is 35 pints on an all day session back in the day.
    Got to the 20 mark last April, first time in years.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I've been charged 7 for Guinness.

True story. In most nightclubs / late bars, €6 or even €6.50 is the norm. Temple Bar, €7.20 isn't uncommon.

Why? Because he council is allowed to charge an extra fee for late opening which means that they have to up their prices to break even. But abolishing that moronic requirement will never even be discussed by our government.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,736 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

1 person, 10 pints is easily done.

Dayam, 6 would be a heavy night for me :D

I really need to work on the beer belly

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

3 pints for a tenner in a pub. Not many pubs, but it happens. Usually Carling, Tuborg or that Aussie ****e. Suits me when I go out once in a blue moon. Otherwise its something much nicer from a bottle at home. But I'm sure the powers that be will deprive me of that soon enough.

True story. In most nightclubs / late bars, €6 or even €6.50 is the norm. Temple Bar, €7.20 isn't uncommon.

Why? Because he council is allowed to charge an extra fee for late opening which means that they have to up their prices to break even. But abolishing that moronic requirement will never even be discussed by our government.

If someone's wiling to spend a couple of hundred euro on alcohol in a weekend in Temple Bar, the cost of alcohol in supermarkets shouldn't really be an issue...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

And to cap it all, the extra revenue from MUP is not taxation, ah no, that would make too much sense, so qui bono?

MUP will increase the price for off sales, we all know that now, but I doubt it will encourage many to suddenly decide to go to a pub on the day this ridiculous law is passed either.

Even with the price increase, factor in the higher prices in pubs (and not a crisp or a peanut offered by the miserly Vintners either, feckers), public transport costs in, and a taxi home. Forget it.

Lots of people will just suck it up and I for one will never darken the door of a pub again, unless it is a family gathering or something like that.

What is the next thing on the agenda I wonder? Because sure as heck there is more in the pipeline!

Slainte and Cheers.

Ironically, if MUP is introduced, people will have LESS money to spend in the pub, as having a few beers at home while getting ready to head out will cost more than it already does. Add to that anyone lucky enough to live near NI to make a regular trip will be doing so more often.

Talk about self defeating......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,350 ✭✭✭doolox

I haven't been in a pub for ages as they are too dear. I have been in several restaurants and they are also too dear.

I do all of my drinking at home and begrudge the government the MUP (short for muppet) legislation. I will be going to Newry for my bottles of wine when this becomes law.

Thank God for Partition and cheap drink in the North.

God save the Queen.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

i also love the line trotted out by the vested interests: oh drinking at home is bad, uncontrolled, no supervision. in the pub we've got bouncers, barmen, responsible adults.

can't remember the last time i've ever seen anyone been refused at a bar. "sheven schots of hic yayguh yayguhic yaygermeischter please". 'sure, pint glass like last time?'

I have, however, seen many folk been refused a bottle of wine at 12:28 on a sunday afternoon while doing the shopping for the sunday dinner

• Registered Users Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/editorial/alcohol-bill-drinks-lobby-digs-in-1.3383507

A rather sanctimonious editorial from The Irish Pontificator which gives the impression that this bill has some way to go before it becomes law, the issues highlighted and Northern politicians running around with loaves of bread on their heads indicate that this is not a done deal.

Irish Times = €2
    MUP increase on 3 bottles of beer = €2

It'll be a hard decision but I'm sure I'll get it right in the end :pac:

kenmc wrote: »
    i also love the line trotted out by the vested interests: oh drinking at home is bad, uncontrolled, no supervision. in the pub we've got bouncers, barmen, responsible adults.

can't remember the last time i've ever seen anyone been refused at a bar. "sheven schots of hic yayguh yayguhic yaygermeischter please". 'sure, pint glass like last time?'

I have, however, seen many folk been refused a bottle of wine at 12:28 on a sunday afternoon while doing the shopping for the sunday dinner

Have they actually upon which excuse is more likely to be believed, then? Health issue over protecting the pubs? (Sorry - not in Ireland - haven't been keeping up)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Have they actually upon which excuse is more likely to be believed, then? Health issue over protecting the pubs? (Sorry - not in Ireland - haven't been keeping up)

Ohh yeah they switched it up a few years ago when they finally realised that "saving the pub" wasnt exactly a great excuse to make people pay more for booze oh and also it is completely illegal, they also got the busy body college of physicians on board to trot out scare mongering headlines

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

The attitude of most politicians here is abysmal to say the least. Their attitude sound like the Taliban. Mr Rock is the only one who speaks sense. As for the rest: we do not want the Irish Taliban and they can take a hike with their repression. The WHO should know better too and all this scaremongering is just the atheist societal equivalent of deliberately oppressive religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭BuilderPlumber

kenmc wrote: »

The Irish Taliban need to be stopped. A group of publicans have teamed up with sanctimonious killjoys who pretend to know it all about health and have begun this anti-alcohol agenda. Some of the health myths come from the real Taliban with doctors who grew up in countries ruled by Taliban law who have been brainwashed against alcohol. They are in all our hospitals. More of them come from people who did easy correlated research just to back up a point. And then there are the publicans. All of them either biased against alcohol or else against drinking alcohol in the home.

The health agenda was pushed before as an excuse to ban alcohol. In Iran in the early 1980s, the regime wanted to ban alcohol for all apart from certain minorities and of course the rich elite. Religious people were told it was a sin. The army were told it would impair their fight against Saddam. The educated were told it would cause cancer and other health problems.

Our legislators must think that we, the electorate are totally stupid. Rock is a young one and speaks out for that cohort, but he still hasn't said that this Bill is just to prop up the Vintners either has he? The irony of playing into the hands of the Vintners for health reasons is just mind boggling, but we are brainwashed sometimes. Where are the rest of the TDs talking a bit of sense?

Afraid to put their heads above the parapet in case they would be out of line with the rest of the nodding donkeys led by the nose by the vested interests.

It's a mad world alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 415 ✭✭falinn merking

Our legislators must think that we, the electorate are totally stupid. Rock is a young one and speaks out for that cohort, but he still hasn't said that this Bill is just to prop up the Vintners either has he? The irony of playing into the hands of the Vintners for health reasons is just mind boggling, but we are brainwashed sometimes. Where are the rest of the TDs talking a bit of sense?

Afraid to put their heads above the parapet in case they would be out of line with the rest of the nodding donkeys led by the nose by the vested interests.

It's a mad world alright.

Thinking of taking a drive around my local area one of these Saturday nights and taking pictures of all the full pub car parks and posting the pictures here.

I will not blur out any of the reg numbers as there is nothing illegal about parking in a car park.

Not making accusations people are free to be the designated driver.

So the pub car parks are full of designated drivers cars at the weekend that is the official line and I will not say any different as it may have legal consequences.:(

Great country we live in we should be so greatful or betters care so much for our health.

Thinking of taking a drive around my local area one of these Saturday nights and taking pictures of all the full pub car parks and posting the pictures here.

I will not blur out any of the reg numbers as there is nothing illegal about parking in a car park.

Not making accusations people are free to be the designated driver.

So the pub car parks are full of designated drivers cars at the weekend that is the official line and I will not say any different as it may have legal consequences.:(

Great country we live in we should be so greatful or betters care so much for our health.

Everyone knows that every car park in a pub is rarely empty. Now whether these are Dezzies or potential drink drivers no one knows, but in suburban areas people do take a chance to drive the five or ten minutes home, I have seen it myself.

But with the lack of enforcement by the Gardai what can anyone do now?

I bet drivers drink in rural areas too despite all the moaning by the Healy Raes etc. Catching them is the same as catching the robbers, murderers and assaults. Zero.

Anyway, what do the Gardai actually do WRT drink driving anyway. I haven't seen a checkpoint for years. On the rare occasion They shine a light on your insurance/tax disc and if you are not suspicious, off you go.

Looking forward to the stats for Drug Driving too. That should be interesting.

Ah forget it, it's useless fighting the establishment. But the establishment want to control us just the same!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

Well at a guess I can see some people, when they have to pay extra for a single bottle of beer now, will start opting for quality over quantity. So might see a decrease in the likes of Bud and Carlsberg and an increase in German or Czech beers.

So can see the Vinters trying to instigate alcohol permits for importing (that will be very hard to acquire if your not part of their club) or vastly expensive ones to try drive any small craft breweries out of business (maybe there is such a thing already, dunno the laws for dist of an alcoholic drink over a non-alco one, possibly just needs to obey food health n safety guidelines).

Gunmonkey wrote: »
    Well at a guess I can see some people, when they have to pay extra for a single bottle of beer now, will start opting for quality over quantity. So might see a decrease in the likes of Bud and Carlsberg and an increase in German or Czech beers.

So can see the Vinters trying to instigate alcohol permits for importing (that will be very hard to acquire if your not part of their club) or vastly expensive ones to try drive any small craft breweries out of business (maybe there is such a thing already, dunno the laws for dist of an alcoholic drink over a non-alco one, possibly just needs to obey food health n safety guidelines).

OMG will it come to that? :eek:

As long as we are in the EU I doubt it, but your post gives me the shivers. There is probably nothing the pub trade will avoid to protect their interests anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,967 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

OMG will it come to that? :eek:

As long as we are in the EU I doubt it, but your post gives me the shivers. There is probably nothing the pub trade will avoid to protect their interests anymore.

Id say their next target is more likely to be home brewing, its far easier to scare monger about it and therefore easier for politicians to get behind

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

VinLieger wrote: »
    Id say their next target is more likely to be home brewing, its far easier to scare monger about it and therefore easier for politicians to get behind

Kinda impossible to do anything about it though, isn't it? Fermentation is one of the simplest natural biological processes, to ban the ingredients of home brewing would require banning home baking as well :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭elperello

https://www.irishtimes.com/opinion/letters/public-health-alcohol-bill-1.3389743

Senator Sean Barrett debunking MUP in today's paper.

Advertisement