Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

gctest50 wrote: »
    Anyway, you'll get dementia if you don't drink :

Alcohol consumption and risk of dementia: 23 year follow-up of Whitehall II cohort study

https://www.bmj.com/content/362/bmj.k2927

Cigarette Smoking is supposed to lower the risk also.

Lets put that on the boxes.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Anyway, you'll get dementia if you don't drink :

Alcohol consumption and risk of dementia: 23 year follow-up of Whitehall II cohort study

So Cliff Clavin from Cheers was right along with his beer/buffalo theory? Brilliant...
    Well, you see, Norm, it’s like this. A herd of buffalo can only move as fast as the slowest buffalo. And when the herd is hunted, it’s the slowest and weakest ones at the back that are killed first. This natural selection is good for the herd as a whole, because the general speed and health of the whole group keeps improving by the regular killing of the weakest members.In much the same way, the human brain can only operate as fast as the slowest brain cells. Now, as we know, excessive intake of alcohol kills brain cells. But naturally, it attacks the slowest and weakest brain cells first. In this way, regular consumption of beer eliminates the weaker brain cells, making the brain a faster and more efficient machine.

And that, Norm, is why you always feel smarter after a few beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I'm thinking of something else entirely

Since you'll get dementia if you have < 14 drinks :

The first 14 drinks per week should be tax free

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

I'm no longer as worried about this as I used to be. It's starting to look genuinely plausible that this government won't last long enough to get the bill passed, and in the meantime, home brewing seems to be making a massive comeback at least among a lot of young people I know :D

• Registered Users Posts: 40,413 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I'm thinking of something else entirely

Since you'll get dementia if you have < 14 drinks :

The first 14 drinks per week should be tax free

If they are that beneficial they should be completely free :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Checkmate19

That article is probably one of the worse pieces if horse manure ever written. If you drank two bottles of vodka there is a good chance you could die but no one is saying do it. As I said many times this is being driven by publicans. Associating alcohol with sporting events is maybe where they should start but that would upset to many of the big boys.

With Britain leaving the EU, does that mean they'll have a Duty Free on the ferries like they used to years ago? If MUP does come in, and theres a duty free on the boat to Holyhead, I can see a common saturday pastime being a round trip to Holyhead booze cruise.

The tax take will then benefit neither Ireland nor the UK. Good job government!

With Britain leaving the EU, does that mean they'll have a Duty Free on the ferries like they used to years ago? If MUP does come in, and theres a duty free on the boat to Holyhead, I can see a common saturday pastime being a round trip to Holyhead booze cruise.

The alcohol bill explicitly exempts "shops catering to travellers departing the state" from minimum pricing, so depending what kind of Brexit we end up with, this is a gigantic possibility yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

interesting question actually.
    my personal viewpoint is that they will continue not to have a duty free because the ferry would still be operating to and from an EU member state.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

The alcohol bill explicitly exempts "shops catering to travellers departing the state" from minimum pricing, so depending what kind of Brexit we end up with, this is a gigantic possibility yes.

Even if ferries to the UK don't have Duty Frees, I still foresee weekends in Cherbourg becoming more common. In fact I predict an explosion in weekend mini-breaks to France. A place where you can get a litre of decent wine for 2 euros, the trip nearly pays for itself with our current pricing of alcohol. If a bottle of wine is to become a minimum of 10 euros, but you can fill the boot of the car for about 30 euro then this whole idea is a real shot in the foot for the exchequer.

Back when I was smoking, the last couple of years before I quit I bought maybe one or two packets of cigarettes in Ireland. The rest I bought when abroad, or bought from a friend or colleague who'd been abroad.

• Advertisement

interesting question actually.
    my personal viewpoint is that they will continue not to have a duty free because the ferry would still be operating to and from an EU member state.

After Brexit, it won't be operating to and from an EU member state. It'll be operating from an EU state(Ireland) to a Non-EU state(Britain).

• Registered Users Posts: 29,073 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

After Brexit, it won't be operating to and from an EU member state. It'll be operating from an EU state(Ireland) to a Non-EU state(Britain).

when operating from britain to ireland it is going to an EU member state, and when leaving ireland it is operating from an EU member state. which is what i mean by the to and from.
    EU law will still remain the supreme law regardless of brexit.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,461 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Just 10euro worth of alcohol could kill you!

One of these anti competition advocates visited a supermarket and came to this conclusion from studying the drink selection. Then a rag publishes it.

They really are something else.

I think they sell steak knives for under a tenner... sure they may aswell be selling uzis Joe.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

when operating from britain to ireland it is going to an EU member state, and when leaving ireland it is operating from an EU member state. which is what i mean by the to and from.

Apologies, I misunderstood.

EU law will still remain the supreme law regardless of brexit.

I'll have to disagree there, but the truth is no-one knows what will happen post Brexit. Their economy might be so far down the toilet they might be delighted to have the Irish visiting to just buy booze.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

A pub free day for the date of oktoberfest should be organised in protest.People could have house parties and eat elsewhere for the day.Surely when it was in beamish and Crawford's this lot would have had more reason to complain?

This stinks to high heaven.Elected representatives,CBA and the vintners joining forces to ruin what was a nice break from the norm in Cork.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

magentis wrote: »

This stinks to high heaven.Elected representatives,CBA and the vintners joining forces to ruin what was a nice break from the norm in Cork.

But they're hurt, the poor things :
    “People were OK when it was a weekend festival but six nights over two weekends is hurting those VFI members who are trying to survive 52-weeks of the year.”

• Registered Users Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Short sighted publicans.
    An elderly pub owner told me once that anything that gets people out of their houses is good for the trade.
    He said cinemas, local drama, amateur musicals, meetings, elections even funerals were all grist to his mill.
    Once people were out he would see some of them calling in for a pint or two.
    The Cork publicans should be working with an event like this to improve their own offering not using their lobby power to stop it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,353 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

But the Cork branch of the Vintners Federation of Ireland (VFI) objected, citing concerns about the strength of alcohol that would be on sale, and highlighting security concerns for patrons and door staff in city centre pubs caused by Oktoberfest Beag revellers pouring into the city from 10.30pm.

So VFI members have stopped sell spirits and wine ?
    Or are they concerned about getting customers at 10:30pm ?

Just to warn everyone, this bill is coming before the Dáil for the fourth and possibly also the fifth (final) stage this coming Wednesday, if ye plan to do any last-minute lobbying of TDs, do so now or forever pay €1.70 for a can of beer...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Good luck trying to get reelected

As an aside, I'm now coming up on my fifth batch of homebrew beer, which has so far cost me €250 for a rough price of €1.50 per bottle - and that'll come down significantly as I make each batch, as a large chunk of the initial €250 was for equipment which is entirely re-usable, so the ratio of total amount spent to bottles of beer produces is coming down massively with each batch. My next two brews will cost roughly €16 each for ingredients at 40 bottles per batch. Assuming you save and re-use your bottles, this is a very handy way around the new law should it come to pass ;)

So far, I've bought ingredients and equipment from two places, depending on the beer to be made:

www.thehomebrewcompany.ie
    and
    www.homebrewwest.ie

Both have a different selection of ingredients at pretty epic prices. Have fun! Screw you, politicians and vitners ��

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭BigCon

As an aside, I'm now coming up on my fifth batch of homebrew beer, which has so far cost me €250 for a rough price of €1.50 per bottle - and that'll come down significantly as I make each batch, as a large chunk of the initial €250 was for equipment which is entirely re-usable, so the ratio of total amount spent to bottles of beer produces is coming down massively with each batch. My next two brews will cost roughly €16 each for ingredients at 40 bottles per batch. Assuming you save and re-use your bottles, this is a very handy way around the new law should it come to pass ;)

So far, I've bought ingredients and equipment from two places, depending on the beer to be made:

www.thehomebrewcompany.ie
    and
    www.homebrewwest.ie

Both have a different selection of ingredients at pretty epic prices. Have fun! Screw you, politicians and vitners ��

What does it taste like?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,339 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Good luck trying to get reelected
    Problem is people have short memories and will probably vote for the TDs who support the bill anyway out of habit or stubborn hate for an opposition party.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

If I could make heino I would be very happy so if you say home brew could be nicer I likes the idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Problem is people have short memories and will probably vote for the TDs who support the bill anyway out of habit or stubborn hate for an opposition party.

Or maybe the price of office license booze is not a big election issue with most people.

I disagree, the "drinking problems" are myths from the government.
    If I could make heino I would be very happy
    Run a flow pipe from your toilet to your water tank, and you'll have Heino coming out of the kitchen tap.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Run a flow pipe from your toilet to your water tank, and you'll have Heino coming out of the kitchen tap.

Great that's a plan.... Hey wait a minute....... :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,888 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Or maybe the price of office license booze is not a big election issue with most people.

Too late they will find out that a relatively modest couple of home drinkers will end up paying more than their property tax for this virtue signalling nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,859 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Just a reminder as to what this minimum pricing is all about. Nothing to do with health, but with keeping their vintner buddies happy.

Minimum.jpg

Advertisement