Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,104 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Took a recent trip up north, picked up 18 bottles of wine, and 18 bottles of spirits.
    (Some of the spirits were for others)

That's how I'll deal with minimum pricing down here... get in the car and drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

What's interesting is the contrast between the anger of the tone of your post and the good news story you have linked.

It's really great to hear that underage drinking has reduced so much

But why sit on our laurels as if it's the end of the job, it's only the start of it, why not continue to reduce the numbers and break the unhealthy link this country has with alcohol.

Higher pricing is one of the tools to break that link.

Some of us get pissed off when our freedoms are under threat, massive surprise...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

mikeecho wrote: »
    Took a recent trip up north, picked up 18 bottles of wine, and 18 bottles of spirits.
    (Some of the spirits were for others)

That's how I'll deal with minimum pricing down here... get in the car and drive.

MUP is on the agenda in NI also (if they ever form a government) and the plan is for both jurisdictions to introduce it at the same time to prevent such situations

The lack of a government in NI could cause another delay here obviously.

the title of the thread is "Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh"

The thread is almost 2 years old at this stage, and the Bill itself has been around for much longer than that.

MUP is on the agenda in NI also (if they ever form a government) and the plan is for both jurisdictions to introduce it at the same time to prevent such situations

The lack of a government in NI could cause another delay here obviously.

the title of the thread is "Minimum alcohol pricing is nigh"

The thread is almost 2 years old at this stage, and the Bill itself has been around for much longer than that.

But surely once Brexit goes through, the exemption for "tax free shops for travellers departing the state" will apply to border shops :D :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,183 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

Some of us get pissed off when our freedoms are under threat, massive surprise...

Freedoms ?

Seriously

You think the ability to buy discounted alcohol in a supermarket is a freedom ?

Get a life

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,261 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

I don't think though that the planned MUP price for the North is as high as here, so there could still be savings, especially if sterling tanks.

If NI adopts same scale as Scotland:
    A 50 pence minimum price would mean a 70cl bottle of whisky will cost at least £14 (€15.6 euros), a 70cl bottle of 37.5% vodka at least £13.13, four 440ml cans of 9% lager at least £7.92 and a 75cl bottle of 12.5% wine could be sold for no less than £4.70.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Freedoms ?

Seriously

Given that this bill is explicitly designed to corral people into 'choosing' certain lifestyles over others, I'd say this is the definition of an attack on personal freedom.
    Get a life

Incredible debating there, you'd do well in Dàil Eireann :p

Freedoms ?

Seriously

Get a life

Yes of course it is. It is an anti-competitive measure which restricts the freedom of producers to compete on price. That's one of the reasons the EU court kicked it back and it had to go all the way to Scotland's Supreme Court for approval. Why would that happen if a freedom or right was not being affected?

F*ckers have passed the bill in the Dáil. It goes back to the Seanad, but essentially is now destined to become law within two years. :mad:

Hopefully a delay in the Seanad leads to it failing to pass before the next election and a reconfigured Dáil which may not decide to go ahead with it. Otherwise, let's just hope another court challenge or a significant loophole arises in the meantime.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

You can sense how alcohol dependant some posters are based on the despair in their posts.

• Advertisement

Bubbaclaus wrote: »
    You can sense how alcohol dependant some posters are based on the despair in their posts.

They say alcohol kills brain cells but that's just an urban myth.
    What killed yours?
    Are you dependent on making cowardly pathetic smears on websites?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

F*ckers have passed the bill in the Dáil. It goes back to the Seanad, but essentially is now destined to become law within two years. :mad:

Hopefully a delay in the Seanad leads to it failing to pass before the next election and a reconfigured Dáil which may not decide to go ahead with it. Otherwise, let's just hope another court challenge or a significant loophole arises in the meantime.

Don't fret, the EU are pissed off enough with this place and will crush it. I wonder what the procedure is for reporting State Aid?

Don't fret, the EU are pissed off enough with this place and will crush it. I wonder what the procedure is for reporting State Aid?

All they did in Scottish case was refer it to their Supreme Court.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,231 ✭✭✭Jim Bob Scratcher

"There was a round of applause in the Dáil as it passed"

While they all probably celebrated after by having a drink :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Hard to watch those "debates".
    All the worried looking pinched little faces so concerned about us citizens.
    Pity they don't apply the same concern to the real problems in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,086 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

odyssey06 wrote: »
    All they did in Scottish case was refer it to their Supreme Court.

Ireland will get away with a lot less than a large member state like the U.K. The French are hopping (pardon the pun) over this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 501 ✭✭✭squawker

say a few of lads got an extension on the house from the vinters lobby this evening

no wonder they are happy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,440 ✭✭✭The Rape of Lucretia

Quite right too. Its very easy to knock our public representatives, and at times they even deserve it. But credit where it is due in this case. Its a damned good step in the right direction, and people's lives will truly be the better for it. Hurrah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Can't believe this actually passed.

If it's about Health. Lead by example TDs. Remove the bar from the Dail so.

Come on. Remove it. Show us.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    It's a cultural thing.

In Asia you can buy alcohol 24/7 from corner shops, etc., and it's cheap. Yet hardly anyone in that part of the world binge drinks.

Asia have a restaurant and family culture. You sit at home or in a local restaurant with your family and share a big meal together.
    Asia is a big place. South Koreans actually drink more than Irish people, mostly rice wine which is about 20%. And many parts of Asia have cultures where men drink enormous amounts of spirits in company - the reason why the per capita figures are lower is because women drink a lot less

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭Ohmeha

So another tax to be applied to the vast majority of alcohol drinkers in Ireland who drink responsibly who are already paying for some of the most expensive alcohol prices in supermarkets/off-licenses in Europe

Sure the government fraudulently bailed out the banks 10 years ago now it's the publican's turn to be bailed out tonight based on the lie of 'cheap alcohol' and 'concern for the nation's health'

• Registered Users Posts: 17,937 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Gutted but not surprised it eventually passed as the "health" lie was to easy for them all to not critically analyse it, its garbage legislation and i look forward to confronting each of my tds who voted for it come election time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

While they all probably celebrated after by having a drink :rolleyes:

Wouldn't surprise me at all if they had a few pints in the Dáil bar afterwards and put it on the tab.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,049 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

It's really great to hear that underage drinking has reduced so much

But why sit on our laurels as if it's the end of the job, it's only the start of it, why not continue to reduce the numbers and break the unhealthy link this country has with alcohol.

Higher pricing is one of the tools to break that link.

it is the end of the job, the reduction is happening by itself, as younger people are less interested in alcohol it seems. no interference needed. the unhealthy link with alcohol this country had is down to how alcohol was and is treated by the powers that be and other relevant forces, who see alcohol as something that must be restricted more then necessary. ireland should be moving toards europe in how it deals with alcohol, that is the only way to change the culture around it. higher pricing to protect the vinters is most certainly no way to break any link in relation to alcohol and thankfully it won't.
    Freedoms ?

Seriously

Get a life

of course it is a freedom to buy alcohol at a discounted price, assuming it is actually discounted in the first place, which i'm not sure i believe it actually is . in fact i'd say alcohol is probably being sold at above cost price by the supermarkets, or if not, certainly cost price.
    it is also a freedom to drink one's purchased or home brewed alcohol at home should they so choose, and it is also one's freedom to not attend a pub to drink alcohol. there is an attempt to circumvent both of these freedoms via the vintners protection scheme known as minimum pricing.
    Bubbaclaus wrote: »

you actually can't. being against something that is anti-competitive, which is designed to protect 1 part of an industry, and to attempt to force people into using that particular part of the industry, does not equate to dependance on the substance that industry is producing and selling.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭TallGlass

Just to add. I'm not even remotely angry at the price increase at all. The fact dose absolutely zero for anything.

If you live with any type of alcoholic you'll know this, for **** sake, some alcoholics will drink mouth wash to get a fix.

Genuinely angers me how much they are so out of touch, there is nothing here, nothing going back into services or anything? It's purely to pull people back into the pubs.

Where is the legislation to put the onus on bar staff not to serve people that are bolloxed drunk? Or to continue serving the same person bottle after bottle of vodka.

**** off with this utter **** again how it passed is beyond be, people who respect drink and have a few causal drinks and have a good time once a week again taking the hit as usual.

The cheek of them as I mentioned, the bellies on some of the TDs, they'd want to sort themselves out first people telling the rest of us to get healthy. And again, why is there a bar in the Dail still? Unreal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

Low priced alcohol is intended to get people (who would not otherwise drink,) to drink. The drink industry hope these people will go on to drink a lot, for the rest of their lives. It is a common marketing ploy.

Students tend to struggle financially but may go on to establish a career and become wealthy. If the drinks industry get their way, the students destined to become wealthy will do so with a taste for alcohol. To prevent this outcome, drink must be given a minimum price.

Yes nana.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,291 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Fantastic news. About time.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭harr

Does anyone have a link to the exact wording of this bill and if it still includes shops to have alcohol hidden from public view.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 14,833 ✭✭✭✭elperello

Fantastic news. About time.

I see the good ship Schadenfreude is sailing with a full crew tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,556 ✭✭✭Micky 32

I'd hate to be living in this country in 20/30 years time. Anything nice will either be banned or unaffordable. I'm not an alcoholic but i enjoy a glass of wine. Luckily i'm only an hour from Enniskillen and will get my wine there and fill the boot once fully passed. I won't be giving a cent towards alcohol in this country again.

Does anyone know if it will affect bringing in wine from a France trip, will they target this?

Advertisement