Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Plane carrying Brazilian team Chapecoense to their Copa Sudamericana game crashes

• 29-11-2016 7:46am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/29/plane-carrying-brazilian-footballers-team-chapecoense-crashes-en-route-to-medellin?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Horrible news to wake up to, and although it is still early the news is bleak.

The first press release mentions 6 survivors from the 72 members of the team & 9 crew on board. The airport says it received word from the plane that it was experiencing electrical problems before crash landing near Medellin.
    The weather is bad in the area where the plane went down, causing the helicopters responding to be forced back.

Brazilian Serie A side Chapecoense were flying to Colombia for their Copa Sudamericana game vs Atletico Nacional tomorrow night.

----

First survivor has arrived at the hospital - defender Alan Ruschel. The ambulance crew who brought him to the hospital are saying there are many survivors at the crash site.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Weird, I was just watching them play against Plameires when I was killing some time on Sunday.

Glad to hear there are survivors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Dutch newspaper report the electrical problems but there are also rumours/reports of not enough fuel in the plane.

Was not just a Copa Sudamericana match, it was the 1st leg of the final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,370 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

inforfun wrote: »
    Dutch newspaper report the electrical problems but there are also rumours/reports of not enough fuel in the plane.

Was not just a Copa Sudamericana match, it was the 1st leg of the final.

Since it was a crash landing, the pilot could have dumped fuel to avoid a fire. Might have been a translation error somewhere about the plane having no fuel.

4 people at the hospital so far, 3 players and a stewardess. 25-27 dead according to the mayor of the town the crash happened in.

Link
    At least 25 people are now feared to have died in the accident, according to the mayor of La Ceja.

Elkin Ospina told Blu Radio: “It seems certain that quite a large number of people have died; they’re talking about 25 to 27 dead.”

Oh shít
    Five survivors, 25 bodies recovered

AFP reports that five people survived the crash. Citing an official it also says 25 bodies have been recovered from the crashed plane.

Five survivors!

• Advertisement

Chapecoense players Jakson Follmann, Danilo & Alan Ruschel are among the confirmed survivors, says SporTV.

From twitter.

Oat23 wrote: »
    Since it was a crash landing, the pilot could have dumped fuel to avoid a fire. Might have been a translation error somewhere about the plane having no fuel.

I know.

https://t.co/rPqVP8eV5T

From the little Spanish i do understand this is the plane that crashed.
    In that clip you can see the distance it had to go from Bolivia to Colombia. Does seem quite long for plane that size.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

Awful news, such a tragedy. Thoughts are with the family and friends of the deceased.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

https://twitter.com/br_uk/status/803545637367250945

Such a heartbreaking photo. RIP. :(

• Advertisement

Ah jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

76 people dead
    5 survivors - 3 of them players

24 year old reserve goalkeeper Jakson Follmann
    31 year old defender Nito
    27 year old defender Alan Rusche (on loan from Internacional)

All players were Brazilian

28 year old Argentinian striker Alejandro Martinuccio was not on the flight due to injury

8 Players were luckily not selected for the squad and did not travel

Goalkeeper Marcelo Boeck
    Goalkeeper Nivalvo,
    Defender Rafael Lima
    Defender Demerson
    Midfielder Andrei,
    Midfielder Moisés,
    Midfielder Hyoram
    Midfielder Neném

The rest of the squad are all dead

I wonder is the club ever going to play that final.

Could they get 16 or 18 players in on loan, even short term, to allow the club to get a team out on to the pitch for the two games, even if it's just a symbolic thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Could they get 16 or 18 players in on loan, even short term, to allow the club to get a team out on to the pitch for the two games, even if it's just a symbolic thing?

Or would a few free agent high profile players help out. Robbie Keane, Drogba, Klose, Lampard, Gerrard, Ronaldinho, Rogerio Ceni. It's only 2 games after all and would be a great gesture that would never be forgotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

Or would a few free agent high profile players help out. Robbie Keane, Drogba, Klose, Lampard, Gerrard, Ronaldinho, Rogerio Ceni. It's only 2 games after all and would be a great gesture that would never be forgotten.

Not sure how legit but saw this :

https://gyazo.com/2b6f537bcc6ed6fef7acb358feae81fc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

The final will have to be cancelled.

That guy had the names of the 3 surviving players early and right as well.

Another person, the GK, has died in hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Atletico Nacional have given up the trophy and have asked CONMEBOL to award it to Chapecoense. What a fantastic gesture.

https://twitter.com/cynegeticus/status/803567600991141888

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

The match can't go ahead as would have been planned (and probably shouldn't). Out of respect for those who died it would feel better if it was cancelled and the surviving team members and family and supporters ect. can just concentrate on grieving and seeing how they will go forward.

This is really a time where something bigger than football needs to take precedence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,629 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭kop77

The match can't go ahead as would have been planned (and probably shouldn't). Out of respect for those who died it would feel better if it was cancelled and the surviving team members and family and supporters ect. can just concentrate on grieving and seeing how they will go forward.

This is really a time where something bigger than football needs to take precedence.

Exactly... any notion of playing it with loaned players or whatever is rubbish imo!

the trophy should go to Chapecoense or something....

EDIT: Just seen Jelle1880's post, proper thing to do!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Horrendous news, doesn't bear thinking about the idea of it happening to a club we actually support. RIP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

The club are from a small city in Brazil and had just returned to the top flight in 2014, for the first time since the 1970s. A horrible blow for a team in the middle of their greatest ever successes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,877 ✭✭✭RayCon

Jesus - terrible news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,630 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

This was a big shock when I heard this. I've been following the Brazilian league this year and while I'm by no means an expert on Chapecoense's players I was familiar with Danilo who I thought was a good keeper. He saved a penalty against Cruzeiro a few weeks back in a 0-0 draw. Then I heard on BBC today that he had died. Awful news.

Besides the keeper the other player I was most familiar with from the team was Kempes, one of their forwards who's been playing well. I've been trying to find out about what happened to him and I think from looking at Twitter that he has also died.

I agree that Atletico Nacional asking for Chapecoense to have the title was a brilliant gesture.

https://twitter.com/Marcelo_Hazan/status/803626531255775232

It's on Portuguese but basically it says that Brazilian clubs have said they will loan players to Chapecoense without any fees, and asked for them to be exempt from relegation for 3 years. Coritiba, Corinthians, Palmeiras, Portuguesa, Santos and São Paulo are the clubs involved so far, more will likely follow.

Great to see such solidarity.

edit: Benfica have reportedly also said they are willing to loan players out if Chapecoense asks them to.

edit2: translation of the entire thing:
    In this moment of loss and pure sadness, we, presidents of brazilian clubs that publish this note, would like to express our deepest condolenses and solidarity with Associação Chapecoense de Futebol and their supporters, specially their families and friends, coaching staff and board, for the tragedy that ocurred this Tuesday.

Even though knowing of the irrepairable damage that was caused by this terrible incident, the clubs understant that this is a moment for union, support and help to Chapecoense.
    Therefore, the clubs announce the Solidariy Measures to Chapecoense, which constitute, among others, of the following:

(i) Free loan of athletes for the 2017 season;
    (ii) Official solicitation to the CBF to prevent Chapecoense from being relegated to the Serie B for the next three season. If Chapecoense finishes the league amongst the bottom four, the 16th placed will be relegated.

It is a minimum gesture of solidarity that is doeable from us, but gifted with the most sincere objective to rebuild this institution and the brazilian football part that was lost today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

The videos of them being so happy on the plane are so sad. Rip to all who died!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

Great to see most football clubs and fans come together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

Great to see most football clubs and fans come together

In stark contrast to the lack of support shown by current players to the abuse scandal unfolding. The only player that I am aware of speaking on the matter was Wayne Rooney

RIP to all those who perished in the plane crash, looking more like a fuel issue as no scorch marks at the crash site

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,594 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

secman wrote: »
    In stark contrast to the lack of support shown by current players to the abuse scandal unfolding. The only player that I am aware of speaking on the matter was Wayne Rooney

RIP to all those who perished in the plane crash, looking more like a fuel issue as no scorch marks at the crash site

Im not sure about it being a fuel issue, its being widely reported as a possible electronics fault. The plane had been circling prior to crashing which could have been a fuel dump, if this is true it means that the pilot probably saved the lives of the survivors.

RIP to the victims, my thoughts are with them this evening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

My thoughts and prayers are with the families of the deceased.

:(

R.I.P.

jaysis, BBC news just said one of the surviving players has had to have a leg amputated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

RIP to all. A horrible tragedy.

Ewan MacKenna's timeline is worth a read. It seems like this could have been very avoidable :(

https://twitter.com/EwanMacKenna

It's likely to be a legal matter too though, I assume most clubs would have told their players to not comment on it because of that.

• Advertisement

Dutch football website Voetbal International has some collection of tributes from all over the world

http://www.vi.nl/nieuws/iconische-bouwwerken-kleuren-groen-voor-chapecoense.htm

http://www.vi.nl/nieuws/chapecoense-eert-helden-met-laatste-bewegende-beelden.htm

http://www.vi.nl/nieuws/chapecoense-portret-van-een-voor-altijd-getekende-club-.htm (mostly Dutch text, portrait of the club)

Last link mentions this was the same plane Argentina used recently to fly to Brazil for the WC qualifier there.

Just dump the links in Google translate if you want to read the text too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

The plane ran out of fuel.

The plane was suppose to refuel en route to their destination but the airport they were suppose to refuel at was not lit up so they couldn't land, so they continued on to their destination.
    They also lost electrical power as the back up batteries were flat.

Such an avoidable disastrous tragedy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

I'm not the biggest fan of social media in this situation, there are some distressing images of the crash site that suddenly crop up in articles/comments on the tragedy.

Then on the other hand there's the video of the tribute in Atletico Nacional's stadium tonight and the celebrations in the Brazilian dressing room after the semifinal..

The team that played them last, last weekend and won the league in that match, Palmeiras have asked the Brazilian FA for permission to wear the Chapecoense kit this weekend in the last match of the season.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

The club are from a small city in Brazil and had just returned to the top flight in 2014, for the first time since the 1970s. A horrible blow for a team in the middle of their greatest ever successes.

Would be similar to Leicester reaching the CL final and crashing on their way to it

Atletico Nacional fans went to the ground yesterday, filled it and all the streets surrounding it to pay hommage to Chapecoense.

8VRFx0T.jpg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9aKUi0Jg2Y

The way clubs from all around the world have come together really is something else.

What would you expect the players to do.

It isn't their job to comment on such matters.

Last night was when the ill fated Chapacoense were due to play.
    Players in their hearts do feel for the victims of this tragedy.
    I watched the United/West Ham game last night, and you could see in the faces of the players from both teams that they did care, and one could see at least one player saying a prayer to themselves during the minute silence.

It is not the players from other clubs who should be trying to hijack this, anyone who has heard this story about the team and the plane crash just feel sad for what happened to them.

All any team can do is show solidarity with Chapacoense, which has been the case.

The tribute by Atletico fans was fantastic. Even on the day of the accident fans of Nacional and other Colombian teams gathered outside stadiums with candles. For a country with massive problems with hooliganism and where people often think the worst of football fans, such tributes have been good to see.

garra wrote: »
    Would be similar to Leicester reaching the CL final and crashing on their way to it

More like Europa League, but yes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

RobertKK wrote: »
    Last night was when the ill fated Chapacoense were due to play.
    Players in their hearts do feel for the victims of this tragedy.
    I watched the United/West Ham game last night, and you could see in the faces of the players from both teams that they did care, and one could see at least one player saying a prayer to themselves during the minute silence.

It is not the players from other clubs who should be trying to hijack this, anyone who has heard this story about the team and the plane crash just feel sad for what happened to them.

All any team can do is show solidarity with Chapacoense, which has been the case.
    Of course the players cared goes without saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

A horrible tradegy for the families and close friends and relatives of those fatally injured (and as goes without saying, the individuals whom perished themselves). It's still hard to comprehend the magnitude of what has actually happened. Terribly sad

Great to see the footballing world unite in support. Some things are just bigger than the beautiful game, as Riquelme once touched on when he quit the national team (speaking of which, imagine a team with him and Ronaldinho in their prime? Riquelme pulling the strings in the centre like only he could do, with Ronaldinho accommodated on the left. Formidable, even now). Best wishes to the club and those associated. It would be nice to see them granted the cup in honour of those who have lost their lives

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,418 ✭✭✭secman

What would you expect the players to do.

It isn't their job to comment on such matters.

A simple tweet condemning the abuse and asking the victims to come forward to the confidential helplines etc, hardly a big ask !
    They are usually quick enough to tweet about any old nonsense.

A simple tweet condemning the abuse and asking the victims to come forward to the confidential helplines etc, hardly a big ask !
    They are usually quick enough to tweet about any old nonsense.

And what would that achieve? Nothing is the answer.This story has got huge publicity it doesn't need anymore and players commenting on it on twitter would achieve nothing.Players use twitter for relatively trivial matters most of the time.

It isn't their job to comment on such issues and why should they get involved in something if they have nothing directly to do with it.Condemning something on twitter for the sake of it is pointless.

Seems like some people want sports people to be spokesmen for the world.Joe Molloy in the Irish Independent on Wednesday wrote a similar opinion to yourself about the lack of player comment but sports people are not politicians yet for some strange reason in recent years there seems to be pressure being put on them to act more like them and get involved in social issues .Maybe if people demanded politicians to act more like politicians rather than sports people having to act like them the world would be better off.

Sportspeople should be left alone to play their sports it's what they're best at and I've never felt when there was a serious issue in society oh wouldn't it be great if a sportsperson came out in support of/condemned something.

• Advertisement
Advertisement