Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

House inspection

Options
  • 29-11-2016 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭

Hi all just a quick question if you could answer asap that would be awesome.
    I've been renting my house with my husband and 3 kids since November 2014.
    First year we signed a lease. Second year we discussed but landlord never ended up doing one. This year landlord wants to sign a new lease with us as she wants to put rent up and we need it for hap.
    She text me yesterday to tell me she would be up Wednesday to inspect the property and what time suits.
    I texted back asking could we not do it Friday my kids need to be in bed early as my eldest has school and we get up quite early.
    Her reply said weekend doesn't suit. Besides the fact new lease has to be signed on the first and inspection has to be done beforehand. She says she gave ample notice. And she can come up this evening or tomorrow evening at 5:30/6 and inspection will be quick.
    My main concern is we are in the middle of a big cleanup to clear out stuff and declared before Xmas and house is upside down right now.
    Also I've three small kids and although everything's in same condition I'm just worried about the mess.
    I'm also concerned about being forced to accommodate a date that doesn't suit me or my family. Should more notice of inspection have been given?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

I'd have to say that two days notice is fine, and by no means unreasonable. She has given you a choice of two dates to inspect....that is quite reasonable too. You should accomodate her...she sounds as if she's being reasonable...so you should be reasonable too.

If I was the landlord, I wouldn't be too bothered about the place being untidy....I'd be more concerned with the general state of the furniture, fittings and decor. As long as the furniture and fittings are ok and there aren't lumps knocked out of the walls she should be happy enough. Family living entails a few bits of wear and tear and as long as there's nothing substantial it shouldn't be an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

She can't force a date on you, inspections can only be done on a date as mutually agreed. Wednesday doesn't suit you so the landlord is going to have to accommodate a different date. The tenant obligation in law is as such:

"(c) allow, at reasonable intervals, the landlord, or any person or persons acting on the landlord's behalf, access to the dwelling (on a date and time agreed in advance with the tenant) for the purposes of inspecting the dwelling,"

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭goz83

as MDNH has said, a date cannot be forced and must be mutual. However, it sounds like you need this done quickly for the HAP scheme, so I would revert to the first response given. Just make the LL aware that the place is currently untidy, but do your best to clear some clutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭exaisle

She can't force a date on you, inspections can only be done on a date as mutually agreed. Wednesday doesn't suit you so the landlord is going to have to accommodate a different date. The tenant obligation in law is as such:

"(c) allow, at reasonable intervals, the landlord, or any person or persons acting on the landlord's behalf, access to the dwelling (on a date and time agreed in advance with the tenant) for the purposes of inspecting the dwelling,"

This is quite correct. The point here is that the landlord cannot just turn up on the doorstep demanding to inspect the property....and this is certainly not happening here. Tenant has been given a minimum of 24 hours notice. The landlord is trying to agree a date for the inspection and has suggested two different dates. In fairness, that's not unreasonable.

I'd also make the point that the landlord could have increased the rent any time since Dec 2015, and didn't, so the tenant is probably doing fairly ok on that score.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

exaisle wrote: »
    This is quite correct. The point here is that the landlord cannot just turn up on the doorstep demanding to inspect the property....and this is certainly not happening here. Tenant has been given a minimum of 24 hours notice. The landlord is trying to agree a date for the inspection and has suggested two different dates. In fairness, that's not unreasonable.

I'd also make the point that the landlord could have increased the rent any time since Dec 2015, and didn't, so the tenant is probably doing fairly ok on that score.

I'm laying out the legal obligations, but you are quite right in your post to suggest a little mess isn't going to worry the landlord and the OP should be a bit flexible, since it's of mutual benefit as goz points out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 280 ✭✭sm213

Hi all thanks for replies.
    I've spent the day cleaning so didn't find time to reply earlier.
    I have no problem with the landlord coming at short notice in general I was just concerned as we are in the middle of a big clear out and there's bags of stuff around I.e clothes to donate etc.
    I suppose I was just flustered with the mess as it doesn't represent how the house is most of the time.
    I don't want her to think we leave the house like that all the time because we don't.
    The house itself is fine no damage done to walls or furniture etc.
    I agreed to the day anyway as I don't want to delay the hap renewal or anything.
    Thanks again for advice

Advertisement